Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
An I-601 does not typically apply to parents, as the waiver process is more of a challenge for an adult to express what will be hardships without his or her parents. Remember, sponsorship (of parents or siblings) can only be done by an adult U.S. citizen, not by proxy of being a minor or in utero. Those sponsored must qualify, meaning that any effective bans have to be completed.

No, re-read the announcement. It means that the initial part of the process can be done in the United States in cases of hardship. The process is being streamlined (just like it was changed for U.S. servicemembers with illegal alien spouses to process fully in the United States), not changed.
What a crock that just because an illegal immigrant gets hooked up with a U.S. citizen including those in our military that they should get a waiver and allowed to process within our country. In all cases they need to be deported and apply to come back legally from their homelands along with a longer waiting period for having entered our country illegally in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
An I-601 does not typically apply to parents, as the waiver process is more of a challenge for an adult to express what will be hardships without his or her parents. Remember, sponsorship (of parents or siblings) can only be done by an adult U.S. citizen, not by proxy of being a minor or in utero. Those sponsored must qualify, meaning that any effective bans have to be completed.
It doesn't matter what "typically" applies. This is a new policy superseding our current law. There is no reason for this policy change, other than to ensure illegal aliens will not be required to obey our established laws. It specifically states illegal aliens with spouses, parents or children. No age requirement was indicated. This will indeed apply to those with minor children born on our soil, and I'm sure you know it. Furthermore, why did Obama issue an order, rather than having Congress vote on this if it isn't piecemeal amnesty? I think we both know the answer.

Quote:
No, re-read the announcement. It means that the initial part of the process can be done in the United States in cases of hardship. The process is being streamlined (just like it was changed for U.S. servicemembers with illegal alien spouses to process fully in the United States), not changed.
No, it clearly states that unlike the current law which requires an illegal to FIRST leave the country, and THEN apply for a change to their illegal status and a waiver for the established ban, and THEN wait for approval prior to returning to this country, they may bypass all of those procedures. They will be approved without leaving, and will only need to briefly leave the country to basically pick up their visa. Again, if they can claim leaving will create a hardship you know damn well they won't be required to leave.

This is total BS, and every legal immigrant who jumped through hoops to even have the chance to enter this country should be totally incensed. Why on earth should anyone even bother to obey our immigration laws if illegal aliens are offered such preferential treatment? Remember, we aren't talking about people here legally having their process streamlined. We're talking about illegal aliens, foreign invaders, people who flagrantly violated our laws, people showing no respect for this country, people who have stolen identities and committed fraud, being given the red carpet treatment.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What a crock that just because an illegal immigrant gets hooked up with a U.S. citizen including those in our military that they should get a waiver and allowed to process within our country. In all cases they need to be deported and apply to come back legally from their homelands along with a longer waiting period for having entered our country illegally in the first place.
You've just about pinned the I-601 waiver process for what it is. They are coming back legally (if the I-601 and other waivers are successful, which is not always the case) after lengthy periods of time. I am aware of couples that married before I did, yet waiting a few more years before they can file for an Immigrant Visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It doesn't matter what "typically" applies. This is a new policy superseding our current law. There is no reason for this policy change, other than to ensure illegal aliens will not be required to obey our established laws. It specifically states illegal aliens with spouses, parents or children. No age requirement was indicated. This will indeed apply to those with minor children born on our soil, and I'm sure you know it. Furthermore, why did Obama issue an order, rather than having Congress vote on this if it isn't piecemeal amnesty? I think we both know the answer...
Review the sponsorship requirements again, because only an adult U.S. citizen can sponsor their parents or siblings (and even siblings are not classified as "Immediate Relatives")...

Quote:
...No, it clearly states that unlike the current law which requires an illegal to FIRST leave the country, and THEN apply for a change to their illegal status and a waiver for the established ban, and THEN wait for approval prior to returning to this country, they may bypass all of those procedures. They will be approved without leaving, and will only need to briefly leave the country to basically pick up their visa. Again, if they can claim leaving will create a hardship you know damn well they won't be required to leave...
The very nature of an I-601 waiver is that it is adjudicated outside the United States (except in the cases of a U.S. servicemember spouse on Active Duty)...

Quote:
...This is total BS, and every legal immigrant who jumped through hoops to even have the chance to enter this country should be totally incensed. Why on earth should anyone even bother to obey our immigration laws if illegal aliens are offered such preferential treatment? Remember, we aren't talking about people here legally having their process streamlined. We're talking about illegal aliens, foreign invaders, people who flagrantly violated our laws, people showing no respect for this country, people who have stolen identities and committed fraud, being given the red carpet treatment.
Mexico has had a streamlined "pilot" program to process I-601 waivers faster than other countries for several years now. Other nationalities can marry their U.S. citizen spouse in Mexico to be able to utilize that program, but it isn't very common. Look over some of the posts in the Immigrate2US forum (Yac said I can name it, but not link it) to listen to the U.S. citizen spouses tell their stories.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
No wonder Obama was so adamant about extending unemployment handouts for millions of unemployed Americans. If Americans were to have to have jobs, it would be harder for Obama to justify his big amnesty and encouragement of those coming here illegally to work cheap or demand financial aid for college.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM

It would be one thing if these "sponsors" actually had to provide for their illegals but the sponsor isn't even obligated to provide his immigrants with a good health insurance plan which means many sponsored immigrants use Medicaid to pay for all their health care needs.

The sponsor should be permanently required to pay all the living costs of each and every immigrant he or she wants to bring here, and it's a joke that those who cannot afford immigrants can sponsor them and the taxpayers end up paying.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would be one thing if these "sponsors" actually had to provide for their illegals but the sponsor isn't even obligated to provide his immigrants with a good health insurance plan which means many sponsored immigrants use Medicaid to pay for all their health care needs.

The sponsor should be permanently required to pay all the living costs of each and every immigrant he or she wants to bring here, and it's a joke that those who cannot afford immigrants can sponsor them and the taxpayers end up paying.
They don't qualify for Medicaid for at least five years, look it up...

It's also helpful to understand that most heathcare insurance providers want Social Security numbers for everyone that is covered now. My own plan is that way (I had my family covered before they came, but was prompted later, luckily after we all had SSANs). Someone can't get a Social Security number until they are in Legal Permanent Residency.

It's a standard chicken and egg puzzle...

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Couldn't agree more. Why should the U.S. taxpayer foot the bill for their "immigrant's" needs? If someone sponsors them then they should be financially responsible for them.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
You've just about pinned the I-601 waiver process for what it is. They are coming back legally (if the I-601 and other waivers are successful, which is not always the case) after lengthy periods of time. I am aware of couples that married before I did, yet waiting a few more years before they can file for an Immigrant Visa.

Review the sponsorship requirements again, because only an adult U.S. citizen can sponsor their parents or siblings (and even siblings are not classified as "Immediate Relatives")...

The very nature of an I-601 waiver is that it is adjudicated outside the United States (except in the cases of a U.S. servicemember spouse on Active Duty)...

Mexico has had a streamlined "pilot" program to process I-601 waivers faster than other countries for several years now. Other nationalities can marry their U.S. citizen spouse in Mexico to be able to utilize that program, but it isn't very common. Look over some of the posts in the Immigrate2US forum (Yac said I can name it, but not link it) to listen to the U.S. citizen spouses tell their stories.
For the umpteenth time, this is a policy change for illegal aliens, not legal immigrants trying to adjust their status. And, you cannot assume illegal alien parents won't be able to apply for "hardship" status through their U.S.-born children. After all, the alleged goal is to eliminate family separation. Of course, their true agenda is amnesty for as many illegal aliens as possible.

If the U.S. citizen spouses in that forum are married to illegal aliens, I have no interest in reading their sob stories. If they can't marry a legal immigrant, I couldn't possibly care less about their immigration dilemmas. They made their bed. Furthermore, only a fool would marry an illegal alien looking for a green card.

Deportation, including a 10-year ban, is the established policy for illegal aliens caught in this country. Obama's executive order not only waives the deportation rule and ban, but allows them to adjust their status without leaving the country. They are only leaving to get their visa from within their country. That's it. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with streamlining a process. This is amnesty for millions of illegal aliens, period. Obama has overstepped his bounds to placate the Hispanic lobby. God only knows what he'll do next. I shudder to think.

Considering what DACA is costing U.S. taxpayers, I can only imagine the billions we will be forced to pay for this. You can bet your last dollar, they'll claim financial hardship, and they, like Dreamies, will not pay the required fees. But hey, we are rolling in dough, so we can well afford it. Of course, they will also need work permits, while we still have 23 million unemployed. Oh, that's right, Congress extended the benefits for 2 million, so I guess all is well.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
They don't qualify for Medicaid for at least five years, look it up...

It's also helpful to understand that most heathcare insurance providers want Social Security numbers for everyone that is covered now. My own plan is that way (I had my family covered before they came, but was prompted later, luckily after we all had SSANs). Someone can't get a Social Security number until they are in Legal Permanent Residency.

It's a standard chicken and egg puzzle...
5 short years --- why not have the sponsor obligated to support his/her immigrants for many more years? And you never hear of indigent immigrants being deported because the sponsor failed to provide even 5 years for them, or when they fail to pay their hospital bills.

Work sponsored immigrants at least have a valid means of support and are far more likely to have an insurance plan that they pay into. It's simply too easy for sponsors to bring in all kinds of people who will become taxpayer burdens.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, this is a policy change for illegal aliens, not legal immigrants trying to adjust their status. And, you cannot assume illegal alien parents won't be able to apply for "hardship" status through their U.S.-born children. After all, the alleged goal is to eliminate family separation. Of course, their true agenda is amnesty for as many illegal aliens as possible.

If the U.S. citizen spouses in that forum are married to illegal aliens, I have no interest in reading their sob stories. If they can't marry a legal immigrant, I couldn't possibly care less about their immigration dilemmas. They made their bed. Furthermore, only a fool would marry an illegal alien looking for a green card.

Deportation, including a 10-year ban, is the established policy for illegal aliens caught in this country. Obama's executive order not only waives the deportation rule and ban, but allows them to adjust their status without leaving the country. They are only leaving to get their visa from within their country. That's it. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with streamlining a process. This is amnesty for millions of illegal aliens, period. Obama has overstepped his bounds to placate the Hispanic lobby. God only knows what he'll do next. I shudder to think.

Considering what DACA is costing U.S. taxpayers, I can only imagine the billions we will be forced to pay for this. You can bet your last dollar, they'll claim financial hardship, and they, like Dreamies, will not pay the required fees. But hey, we are rolling in dough, so we can well afford it. Of course, they will also need work permits, while we still have 23 million unemployed. Oh, that's right, Congress extended the benefits for 2 million, so I guess all is well.
You are heavily misunderstanding the I-601 process, which is indeed for illegal aliens to legalize through their U.S. citizen spouse. I2US is one of the more notable forums that see many I-601 cases (they have an entire, highest post responses, area specifically for it). If someone would look over "DREAMie" forums, why not hear the good, bad, and otherwise from U.S. citizens having illegal alien spouses?

Two particular cases come to mind. The first is a woman that grew up pre-teen on with her future husband (an illegal alien). Second is a couple that are teaching outside the U.S., because the husband (an illegal alien) was never able to be waivered on an entry at age 16.

These women cannot change whom they fell in love with, have bonded lives and children together, and are seeking that legal immigration path. I can't even imagine an I-601 adjudicator, with a run-of-the-mill Consular Officer throwing documents across a table at my wife, and shouting "No!". Not all I-601 waivers are approved, and the couple has to react from that point how they will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration