Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration eased the way Wednesday for illegal immigrants who are immediate relatives of American citizens to apply for permanent residency, a change that could affect as many as 1 million of the estimated 11 million immigrants unlawfully in the U.S.

Beginning March 4, when the changes go into effect, illegal immigrants who can demonstrate that time apart from an American spouse, child or parent would create “extreme hardship,” can start the application process for a legal visa without leaving the U.S.

The change is the latest move by the administration to use its executive powers to revise immigration procedures without Congress passing a law.
White House eases path to residency for some illegal immigrants - chicagotribune.com

In other words, every parent of the estimated 4 million anchor babies will be pardoned. I think it's safe to assume pregnant women will be fleeing from Mexico by the thousands to take advantage of this. And, those here, but not yet pregnant, will be very soon. If this stunt doesn't open the floodgates nothing will.

Obama will continue to bypass Congress until every illegal alien has been granted legal status. He's doing exactly what he said he did not have the authority to do.

Napolitano's press release. .

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2013/01/02/s...waiver-process

Last edited by Benicar; 01-02-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
White House eases path to residency for some illegal immigrants - chicagotribune.com

In other words, every parent of the estimated 4 million anchor babies will be pardoned. I think it's safe to assume pregnant women will be fleeing from Mexico by the thousands to take advantage of this. And, those here, but not yet pregnant, will be very soon. If this stunt doesn't open the floodgates nothing will.

Obama will continue to bypass Congress until every illegal alien has been granted legal status. He's doing exactly what he said he did not have the authority to do.
Just how much executive power does Obama think he has? When is congress going to step in and put a stop to the dictatorship powers that he thinks he has? I thought immigration issues were something that is decided on through congress and as you said even Obama himself said he doesn't have that authority all on his own.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just how much executive power does Obama think he has? When is congress going to step in and put a stop to the dictatorship powers that he thinks he has? I thought immigration issues were something that is decided on through congress and as you said even Obama himself said he doesn't have that authority all on his own.
Obama is looking more and more like a dictator. Every citizen should be outraged by this, regardless of their stance on illegal immigration. If he can bypass Congress on illegal immigration, it looks like the sky's the limit.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:

Sounds like just an expansion of the current I-601 waiver process (which typically has to be done in the "home country" of the immigrant spouse) that would be done within the United States. I know a group of women on another forum will be happy to hear this news. Categories that have relationships to U.S. citizens (that are able to sponsor them as "Immediate Relatives" without quotas) should have priority in the process anyway.

EDIT: Nope, the DHS announcement still shows they must exit the United States to process on the waiver...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Illegals should get no hardship waivers. If it's so hard being apart, go to your immediate relative's country and leave us alone.

If I could send every last one of them home I would.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Sounds like just an expansion of the current I-601 waiver process (which typically has to be done in the "home country" of the immigrant spouse) that would be done within the United States. I know a group of women on another forum will be happy to hear this news. Categories that have relationships to U.S. citizens (that are able to sponsor them as "Immediate Relatives" without quotas) should have priority in the process anyway.
No, it sounds like amnesty for parents of anchor babies. Or, do you actually believe it wouldn't be deemed a "hardship" to deport their illegal parents? For that matter, anyone who claims to have an immediate family member with U.S. citizenship will no doubt apply for this. These pro-illegal crooks have been trying very hard to bypass Congress as part of their "family unity" movement. This is an outrageous expansion of the presidential powers. Again, he clearly stated last year, he did NOT have the authority to change immigration policies. Well, he has, and continues to do so.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Nope, the DHS announcement still shows they must exit the United States to process on the waiver...
Only after it has already been approved, which is a change to our current immigration laws. Plus, if they claim leaving the country would create a hardship for their U.S. citizen relative, no doubt, they'll be allowed to remain. How many "breastfeeding" moms do you honestly think they'll make leave? Again, piecemeal amnesty.

Edit: Tell me this isn't a policy change, which, by the way, should ONLY be authorized by Congress.

This is the current law. . .

Quote:
Under current law, immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who are not eligible to adjust status in the United States to become lawful permanent residents must leave the U.S. and obtain an immigrant visa abroad. Individuals who have accrued more than six months of unlawful presence while in the United States must obtain a waiver to overcome the unlawful presence inadmissibility bar before they can return to the United States after departing to obtain an immigrant visa.

Last edited by Benicar; 01-02-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
No, it sounds like amnesty for parents of anchor babies. Or, do you actually believe it wouldn't be deemed a "hardship" to deport their illegal parents? For that matter, anyone who claims to have an immediate family member with U.S. citizenship will no doubt apply for this. These pro-illegal crooks have been trying very hard to bypass Congress as part of their "family unity" movement. This is an outrageous expansion of the presidential powers. Again, he clearly stated last year, he did NOT have the authority to change immigration policies. Well, he has, and continues to do so.
An I-601 does not typically apply to parents, as the waiver process is more of a challenge for an adult to express what will be hardships without his or her parents. Remember, sponsorship (of parents or siblings) can only be done by an adult U.S. citizen, not by proxy of being a minor or in utero. Those sponsored must qualify, meaning that any effective bans have to be completed.

Quote:
Only after it has already been approved, which is a change to our current immigration laws. Plus, if they claim leaving the country would create a hardship for their U.S. citizen relative, no doubt, they'll be allowed to remain. How many "breastfeeding" moms do you honestly think they'll make leave? Again, piecemeal amnesty.

Edit: Tell me this isn't a policy change, which, by the way, should ONLY be authorized by Congress...
No, re-read the announcement. It means that the initial part of the process can be done in the United States in cases of hardship. The process is being streamlined (just like it was changed for U.S. servicemembers with illegal alien spouses to process fully in the United States), not changed.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
I wish congress would chime in on this. They seem to be non existent.

They should represent us or be fired!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:

I disagree that anyone should be favored just because they have a relationship with a U.S. citizen and I certainly don't think they should be given a pass for being here illegally in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration