U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times

Advertisements

Great, now that you see a fault. You should go volunteer to guard the border. Along with those retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM

191 posts, read 652,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Great, now that you see a fault. You should go volunteer to guard the border. Along with those retirees.
In that same vein, you should take in some immigrants and feed, clothe, and educate them out of your own pocket.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM

520 posts, read 1,693,834 times
This doesn't have much to do with immigration. Its a Homeland Security problem. The article says Homeland Security took 6 weeks to warn its own border inspectors and then another week to tell the TSA. Homeland Security dropped the ball.

The article says nothing about the guy being illegal so I will assume he was legal.

Homeland Security should get its act together.

The way the post was presented was a little inflammatory with the frowny faces but in fairness to citigirl, she didn't mention immigration, she mentioned but border security. I think this is a fair criticism.

I also support ProLogic's opposition to the OP. I'm not pro-illegal (am pro-immigrant) but some people in these threads get more riled up than they should.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times
Quote:
Can you please stop with these non-sense, cheap political point threads? You've posted several these past couple of days. What exactly are you trying to tell us? Illegal Immigration? The dangers of TB? Homeland security. Spare us. If your going to talk about tax paying you should ask us Californians who contribute most of the taxes that the U.S uses.

Number one this story is not about an illegal immigrant. It is about a diseased Mexican national that frequents our country and other countries exposing people to his deadly disease. This story is also about how we pay for Homeland Security and get none.

This is a current story, titled as it was in the news article. Most importantly if all the illegal immigrants would go back to their own countries or they would respect others or if they did not commit crimes there would be no stories to post here.

Any money paid in taxes by Californians is sucked up in social services and prison housing for illegal immigrants. There are a lot of threads I do not read on CD. You can make that same choice.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
In that same vein, you should take in some immigrants and feed, clothe, and educate them out of your own pocket.

Theres no need, they work.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Can you please stop with these non-sense, cheap political point threads? You've posted several these past couple of days. What exactly are you trying to tell us? Illegal Immigration? The dangers of TB? Homeland security. Spare us. If your going to talk about tax paying you should ask us Californians who contribute most of the taxes that the U.S uses.
I disagree.
I think you are underestimating the danger that MDR-TB (multidrug resistant TB) brought to the US poses.

Quote:
Most Americans no longer consider tuberculosis a threat. Although this treatable and curable disease is at its lowest levels ever in the United States, it is one of the biggest killers worldwide, claiming nearly two million lives annually. About eight million people develop active cases of TB each year, and each can infect 10 to 15 others by coughing, sneezing, or simply breathing. With the increase in travel and immigration, national borders provide little defense against the transmission of TB.

A major concern of the public health community is the emergence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis throughout the world, caused by strains of bacteria that standard drug treatments cannot cure. These bacteria develop resistance when individuals with tuberculosis are inappropriately treated, or they do not complete treatment regimens. When people with TB develop drug-resistant TB, the others they infect will have the same drug-resistant strain. The emergence of resistant forms of the disease, primarily among the poor and underserved, is compounded by the fact that many countries have poor TB control programs and some have none.

However, treating drug-resistant TB requires a combination of what are called “second-line” drugs - those used when the “first-line” or standard treatment fails. These drugs are very expensive - $33,000 per patient in industrialized countries compared to $84 for first-line drugs. In addition, the second-line drugs need to be administered for longer periods of time, from 18 to 36 months. Because they are toxic with unpleasant side effects, people on a regimen of second-line drugs need to be monitored to ensure they take all the medication as prescribed and for the full period of time.
CDC Foundation - Controlling Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis (http://www.cdcfoundation.org/frontline/archives/controlling_multidrug_resistant_tuberculosis.aspx - broken link)

In order to enter the US legally, an individual must undergo a health screening which includes testing for TB. When a person enters the country illegally, obviously this does not happen and they may be haboring this or other diseases which are a threat to the general population. Needless to say, the mortality rate is also higher than for 'regular' TB. (I don't have a firm number right now)

Quote:
Only 27 percent of primary MDR-TB cases were in U.S. born persons. The percentage of U.S. born persons with MDR-TB has remained stable at approximately 0.6 percent since 2000. The proportion of MDR-TB cases continued to disproportionately affect foreign-born persons in the United States. Among this group, MDR-TB cases has increased from 26 percent in 1993 to 81.5 percent of cases in 2005.
(World Health Organization. Global TB Control Report, 2003. Available at: WHO | WHO publications on tuberculosis. Accessed on
3/26/07.)

"If your going to talk about tax paying you should ask us Californians who contribute most of the taxes that the U.S uses." As more and more cases like this occur, you may find sizeable sums of you and your fellow Californian's (and everybody else's) tax dollars going to pay for allowing this type of foolishness. The cost of treating MDR-TB are astronomical- the lowest treatment figure I found was $21,000. Costs can run up to $250,000. The border should be sealed on a public health basis alone in my opinion.

This is not nonsense or a cheap political point.

Last edited by andreabeth; 10-17-2007 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Number one this story is not about an illegal immigrant. It is about a diseased Mexican national that frequents our country and other countries exposing people to his deadly disease. This story is also about how we pay for Homeland Security and get none.

This is a current story, titled as it was in the news article. Most importantly if all the illegal immigrants would go back to their own countries or they would respect others or if they did not commit crimes there would be no stories to post here.

Any money paid in taxes by Californians is sucked up in social services and prison housing for illegal immigrants. There are a lot of threads I do not read on CD. You can make that same choice.
Prison housing for Legal and Illegals alike. Don't try to make it seem like illegals are sucking up all the tax dollars. Over 60% of welfare money is spent on Legal citizens so don't even play that card either. True thing is, I believe that welfare and all social services should be abolished. Welfare to be only provided in extreme situations.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
This doesn't have much to do with immigration. Its a Homeland Security problem. The article says Homeland Security took 6 weeks to warn its own border inspectors and then another week to tell the TSA. Homeland Security dropped the ball.

The article says nothing about the guy being illegal so I will assume he was legal.

Homeland Security should get its act together.

The way the post was presented was a little inflammatory with the frowny faces but in fairness to citigirl, she didn't mention immigration, she mentioned but border security. I think this is a fair criticism.

I also support ProLogic's opposition to the OP. I'm not pro-illegal (am pro-immigrant) but some people in these threads get more riled up than they should.
I am not sure why he sould be using an alias if he was here legally. That accounted for part of the delay in tracking him down.

Quote:
Roger Maier, spokesman with El Paso CBP, says the delay for issuing a "be on the lookout" (BOLO) alert to stop the man at the border was caused by the traveler's use of an alias.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...110170103/1001

Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times
Quote:
Prison housing for Legal and Illegals alike. Don't try to make it seem like illegals are sucking up all the tax dollars. Over 60% of welfare money is spent on Legal citizens so don't even play that card either. True thing is, I believe that welfare and all social services should be abolished. Welfare to be only provided in extreme situations.
There is a huge differance for American citizens using services and illegal citizens that should not even be here.

Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually

A study done by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) found the cost of illegal immigrants in California to amount to $10.5 billion annually. This figure includes the cost of incarceration, health care and education of illegal immigrants.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 PM

Yet it does not show how much money is flooded in to the Californian economy by immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration