U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,722,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Yet it does not show how much money is flooded in to the Californian economy by immigrants.
Considering that illegals are not working high wage jobs and that billions are annually sent back to Mexico in remittances, the sum flooding into the CA economy may not be enough to offset the costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM

520 posts, read 1,696,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I am not sure why he sould be using an alias if he was here legally. That accounted for part of the delay in tracking him down.
I missed that. Good catch. I still think this discussion should be about incompetancy at Homeland Security and not illegal immigration (which is sort of a byproduct). Homeland Security needs to have better communication within itself and other agencies to better prevent things like this from occurring.

How do you make HS work better? More money? Better technology? Legislation? Replacing the people in charge?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,060,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
I missed that. Good catch. I still think this discussion should be about incompetancy at Homeland Security and not illegal immigration (which is sort of a byproduct). Homeland Security needs to have better communication within itself and other agencies to better prevent things like this from occurring.

How do you make HS work better? More money? Better technology? Legislation? Replacing the people in charge?

Replacing the people in charge

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,172,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Considering that illegals are not working high wage jobs and that billions are annually sent back to Mexico in remittances, the sum flooding into the CA economy may not be enough to offset the costs.
It also doesn't consider that from their cheap labor, American businesses are reaping in billions. It also doesn't mention that

Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,708,461 times
Default mad huh

Quote:
Can you please stop with these non-sense, cheap political point threads? You've posted several these past couple of days. What exactly are you trying to tell us? Illegal Immigration? The dangers of TB? Homeland security. Spare us. If your going to talk about tax paying you should ask us Californians who contribute most of the taxes that the U.S uses.
Mad huh? I guess when the truth comes out that illegals put us at risk and there is proof there is nothing more you can do but get mad. Hey you always ask for proof and here is some more.

The point:
An illegal is allowed mulitple entries into the US each one being illegal and with him bringing disease thus a huge risk. Stop the illegal stop the risk.

Actually you should spare us the anger due to the post.
Cheap...no major risk
Political...umm its TB
Home land security..yes it is an illegal

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,722,568 times
Quote:
It also doesn't consider that from their cheap labor, American businesses are reaping in billions. It also doesn't mention that
Well, at least someone benefits from them being here. I kind of doubt that I do.

Now, back on topic.
Why do you consider the posting of an article whose first sentence reads:
Quote:
A Mexican national infected with a highly contagious form of tuberculosis crossed the U.S. border 76 times and took multiple domestic flights in the last year, according to Customs and Border Protection interviews and documents obtained by The Washington Times.
TB-tainted man crosses border 76 times*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper
a 'non-sense, cheap political point' ? Did you read the actual article prior to posting this?

Quote:
.... What exactly are you trying to tell us? Illegal Immigration? The dangers of TB? Homeland security. Spare us.....
The aforementioned article does deal with all of the above. Americans are being placed at risk of exposure to a contagious disease which is very difficult and expensive to treat. One of the ways this disease enters the US is by people who come here illegally. Homeland Security, at least in this case, dropped the ball. Why should people be 'spared' this information?

Quote:
..... I'm just tired of reading threads flaming illegals to make cheap political points....
How is reporting this incident 'flaming illegals'? Do you feel this information should not be made available to the public? Since this individual was using an alias, which accounted for part of the delay in tracking him down, one is led to suspect that he is probably here illegally. Once again, did you read the article?

Quote:
I feel that my opposition on threads like these is needed . And I don't care about sob stories. But exploiting the faults of illegals is truly sick and exploitive.
How is reporting the fact that this individual entered the US multiple times while infected with MDR-TB 'sick and exploitative'? Would you spring to the defense of a white American citizen who travelled extensively throughout the US while presenting a threat to the health of others so vigorously? What is your reason for protesting the posting of this article?

Last edited by andreabeth; 10-18-2007 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM

17,286 posts, read 25,051,545 times
Quote:
And as we all know, billions reaped by companies does not necessarily translate into a net positive for society as a whole.

California alone could shave a billions off its law enforcement and prison support budget if the illegal immigrants "disappeared tomorrow." Or, more realistically, if our immigration laws were enforced and every immigrant that came here was pre-screened.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM

13,079 posts, read 21,244,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And as we all know, billions reaped by companies does not necessarily translate into a net positive for society as a whole.

California alone could shave a billions off its law enforcement and prison support budget if the illegal immigrants "disappeared tomorrow." Or, more realistically, if our immigration laws were enforced and every immigrant that came here was pre-screened.
A shame that is not the case - I wonder if ProLogic would be mocking the gravity of this situation if their son had had to take Isoniazid every day for 9 months of his life because he attends a public school where the children of illegal aliens are allowed to go too. That's exactly what my son had to do. MOD CUT

Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,869,669 times
You need to just go ahead and accept that you will get TB and let this poor man help his family. To do otherwise is ...r____t (fill in the word!).

Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 PM

13,079 posts, read 21,244,747 times
String 'em up and hang 'em high - those that have such a communicable disease and still go about their business with no regard to other human beings. What arrogance!

It isn't a r____t issue; I felt the same way when lily-white American guy did his globe-trotting honeymoon after he had been warned by his doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration