U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Sorry, but I would go with the legal guy. Too risky buying a house built by illegals who may or may not have the training in construction.

If something goes wrong with my $200,000 house, I can track down the legal guy and either get him to fix it or take him to court. I would be SOL if I used the illegal.

And before you ask -- My house was built by only American workers. The contractor we used doesn't allow any "fly by night" illegals. That's one of the reasons we picked him.
Umm.. they have actually been building all the new house developments here in the Bay Area. No problems yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM

537 posts, read 312,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The case is not to keep poor Americans down. The case is our fascination with cheap things. If you wanted to build a house and a contractor came to you and said it was going to cost you $200,000. The Next day a Mexican came over and said he can do it for $120,000 just as good as the legal guy. Who would you go with? .....exactly.
You are right about Americans wanting CHEAP but some of that is the fault of the government because of denegrating the wages they have with outsourcing and allowing illegals to invade the country. The only thing I would say different is the fact that Mexicans do not do a better a job at anything, especially in regards to construction. I have their work and it damn well sucks. They are terrible and only work fast and are willing to do it cheap because they know that they are going to cut every corner they can and don't care about the end result because they will not be around to fix anything.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM

537 posts, read 312,010 times
Quote:
Umm.. they have actually been building all the new house developments here in the Bay Area. No problems yet
I have a sister that lives in Sacramento and she hates her house because of the terrible work they did. You have no idea if there are problems you don't know about because it may be happening to other people and I know that you do not know every person in the bay area. I know quite a few and the facts are that Mexicans do ****ty work. PERIOD!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 PM

191 posts, read 652,949 times
Quote:
Just wait and see. I used to live in the Bay Area. Who are you going to go to when the foundation cracks in two, or when the windows start cracking for some mysterious reason? Seriously, even if you were talking about American contractors, I would still say that you need to be able to track a person down if there is a problem.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Fact is, most of the contractors use Mexican labor. Example: One of George Lopez' parodies was about him getting repairs on his home. He actually hired an Anglo contractor to try to get things done with permits and correctly. He said once he left, the next day 15 Mexicans were at his door step. They do the work anyway. I must admit, I've seen a lot more Anglo and Black people working in constructions. But guess what, they're not doing the hard labor. They are the supervisors

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
You are right about Americans wanting CHEAP but some of that is the fault of the government because of denegrating the wages they have with outsourcing and allowing illegals to invade the country. The only thing I would say different is the fact that Mexicans do not do a better a job at anything, especially in regards to construction. I have their work and it damn well sucks. They are terrible and only work fast and are willing to do it cheap because they know that they are going to cut every corner they can and don't care about the end result because they will not be around to fix anything.
Severely disagree with you about the construction quality of homes built by hispanic workers. Both of my last two residences, in Ohio and California, were substantially built by hispanic laborers. The workmanship in both homes was exceptional, and much better than previous homes I had which were constructed by non-hispanics. The quality is very good, and the follow up to any problems, which have been very minor, has been done very well too. I have no hesitancy at all in recommending a home built with hispanic laborers, their workmanship and quality has been nothing short of outstanding.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 PM

My dad who is also in the construction business (Legal Tax paying citizen) says he's also heard rumors of laborers puffing the magic dragon to get things done faster. Is it true? No clue. LOL!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Fact is, most of the contractors use Mexican labor. Example: One of George Lopez' parodies was about him getting repairs on his home. He actually hired an Anglo contractor to try to get things done with permits and correctly. He said once he left, the next day 15 Mexicans were at his door step. They do the work anyway. I must admit, I've seen a lot more Anglo and Black people working in constructions. But guess what, they're not doing the hard labor. They are the supervisors
The first new construction I ever purchased was in San Antonio, Texas. The work crew there was largely illegal. I can tell you for sure that the illegal work crew:

S**t in each bathtub in my home.
Left beer bottles between the walls before sheetrocking.
S**t in the studs surrounding the powder room, causing the sheetrock to be replaced later after many attempts to identify the "rotten" smell.

I am going to go out on a limb here to say that I bet the guys that did the sheetrock were not able to be located once they did the work.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM

LOL! That was messed. They should have provided their own portable receptacle. I would have never let them enter my house with out my permission. Your bad on that one. As for the Beer bottles.. lol.. That is expected.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
LOL! That was messed. They should have provided their own portable receptacle. I would have never let them enter my house with out my permission. Your bad on that one. As for the Beer bottles.. lol.. That is expected.
Well. A port-o-pot, or whatever you want to call it, was on site at all times. They just chose to sh** where it was both most offensive and most noticeable. Contractors will come and go during construction, with or without your permission.

I will admit, the beer bottles were the least of our problems after dealing with the sh**. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or