Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,317,459 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to relay this for some time. Often, "liberals" are seen as illegal immigration embracing, while strong "conservatives" are not.

I believe poll after poll, however, shows that opposition to illegal immigration cuts across all lines - political, economic, racial (but not necessarily ethnic in terms of "Hispanics.").

My telling "a ha" moment came while sitting in the audience during a comedy performance by Kathy Griffin here in town. Kathy is a liberal kind of girl. She attracts a liberal audience. One of her openings to a joke was, "Can we lay off the illegal Mexicans? Let's just let them stay."

Normally, one would expect hearty applause, but I was shocked that there was only maybe 20% applause of approval. The rest of the room was silent. I looked around and saw only a few people clapping. Normally, when she goes off on a social issue, the audience resounds with approval applause.

I guess my point is that all politicians should recognize the will of the clear clear majority of its citizens. Pandering to pro-illegal immigration groups is not the will of ANY mainstream "base voting group."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,520,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I have been wanting to relay this for some time. Often, "liberals" are seen as illegal immigration embracing, while strong "conservatives" are not.

I believe poll after poll, however, shows that opposition to illegal immigration cuts across all lines - political, economic, racial (but not necessarily ethnic in terms of "Hispanics.").

My telling "a ha" moment came while sitting in the audience during a comedy performance by Kathy Griffin here in town. Kathy is a liberal kind of girl. She attracts a liberal audience. One of her openings to a joke was, "Can we lay off the illegal Mexicans? Let's just let them stay."

Normally, one would expect hearty applause, but I was shocked that there was only maybe 20% applause of approval. The rest of the room was silent. I looked around and saw only a few people clapping. Normally, when she goes off on a social issue, the audience resounds with approval applause.

I guess my point is that all politicians should recognize the will of the clear clear majority of its citizens. Pandering to pro-illegal immigration groups is not the will of ANY mainstream "base voting group."
Good points. Even the Catholic Church seems to be "losing steam" on this one. A year ago it was common in the diocesan newspaper to have long, several-page articles about "immigrants" in which the word "illegal" never appeared even once. These have dropped off a bit, it seems, as it gets harder and harder to present this stuff with a "straight face".

I've also noticed that, whereas it used to be a big thing for immigrants to storm down the streets waving a sea of Mexican flags, lately they do the same thing, but with a sea of American flags. Even the "activists" seem to finally be sensing that American generosity and patience does have some sort of limit, beyond which it's not a good idea to cross......

Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM

27,534 posts, read 15,977,809 times
Quote:

I know this to be true in some of my experiences. If you look at most polls, the majority of Americans have a problem with this issue, further backing your point.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,317,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've also noticed that, whereas it used to be a big thing for immigrants to storm down the streets waving a sea of Mexican flags, lately they do the same thing, but with a sea of American flags. Even the "activists" seem to finally be sensing that American generosity and patience does have some sort of limit, beyond which it's not a good idea to cross......
The problem is, they've permanently damaged themselves in that first protest.

Now I see displays of the American flag as insincere... like they know they "have" to, again, not because they "want" to!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,502,824 times
Quote:

When are the Democratic party candidates for President and a couple of the Republican candidates going to pick up on that? Every Dem want " a path to citizenship for those here" as well as Guillani. Makes me crazy since the majority of US citizens don't want that! Who are they pandering to? The illegals?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM

136 posts, read 996,862 times
Immigration issues go much deaper than controlling boarders, the root cause of our present immigration problem lies within our flawed global economic chase of cheap labor, cheap food and cheap prices. When NAFTA proved ruinous to Mexico in addition to Upstate NY, Congress denied the fact that sweeping, multilateral trade deals drove millions of Mexican subsistence farmers off the land. Now millions of Latinos flee poverty, hunger, failed farms and fifteen percent infant mortality rates and we are given the excuse that this is a temporary globalization adjustment and that as more Free Trade Agreements are enacted and our food systems further consolidated and industrialized, the pandemic will reverse itself.

We need to hold corporations accountable who hire illeagal aliens and our government (both parties) for undermining the middle-class of this country with corporate-drafted, corporate-driven and corporate-profiteering trade policies that export jobs, drive down wages and eliminate entire industries just so a certain share price may go up one or two dollars per year.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM

136 posts, read 996,862 times
Default Immigration and Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
When are the Democratic party candidates for President and a couple of the Republican candidates going to pick up on that? Every Dem want " a path to citizenship for those here" as well as Guillani. Makes me crazy since the majority of US citizens don't want that! Who are they pandering to? The illegals?
I agree.

Also, Immigration goes much deeper than contolling boaders.

The root cause of our present immigration problem lies within our flawed global economic chase of cheap labor, cheap food and cheap prices. When NAFTA proved ruinous to Mexico as well as America, Congress denied the fact that sweeping, multilateral trade deals drove millions of Mexican subsistence farmers off the land. Now millions of Latinos flee poverty, hunger, failed farms and fifteen percent infant mortality rates and we are given the excuse that this is a temporary globalization adjustment and that as more Free Trade Agreements are enacted and our food systems further consolidated and industrialized, the pandemic will reverse itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration