Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 3 in 10 say all illegal immigrants should be deported, CNN poll says
  • Poll: Races differ on whether police should turn over illegal immigrants
  • Blacks and whites oppose giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants
  • Telephone poll taken of 1,212 people and conducted Friday through Sund

Poll: Americans want fewer illegal immigrants in U.S. - CNN.com

Why such a % difference from White and Black people?
Wouldn't the Black minority have the most to lose?

My guess is because Black people know the hardship of living in this country and can empathize with the illegals who want to work here.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,442 times
My guess is as good as yours.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
I don't know. I read the story and the headline doesn't really seem to match the data that well. Looking at the story itself, it seems that the folks in general do want to see the number of illegal immigrants decline, they seem in agreement. White folks may be a bit more adamant about it than black folks, but both generally share the same sentiment.

About the police and turning folks in, I believe many historical studies have shown that black folks have a bit less trust in the integrity of the law enforcement process. I won't debate the legitimacy of that point of view, but it has been shown in the past. Looking at this story, the turning in of illegals by the police seems consistent with that historical point of view about law enforcement.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,467,844 times
according to the poll of 1,212 adult Americans.

I don't pay any attention to polls that poll only a small number of people.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,675,800 times
Also we need to be leery of any article that quotes poll numbers without showing us the actual poll questions asked. It's very easy to manipulate poll results by using biased or leading questions.

The racial differences is a concern though. Especially considering many of our poorer black citizens are the very ones that illegal aliens take entry level jobs from.

I actually had this very same conversation with a black neighbor of mine a couple of months ago. He has to work three part-time jobs just to make ends meet, but he supports open borders with Mexico. He feels illegal aliens only do the work that Americans don't want to do. I tried to explain that if we didn't have the illegal alien problem then the demand for his labor would increase, and he could not only make more money per hour but get on full-time with one of his employers. He doesn't believe me.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post

My guess is because Black people know the hardship of living in this country and can empathize with the illegals who want to work here.
Well you have one black person who wants these illegals gone. I know its hard for blacks in this country (im one myself ok). But the illegals stealing my jobs and driving down wages aint helping my cause.

GET THESE ILLEGALS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Why is a thread that cites a story titled, "Poll: Americans want fewer illegal immigrants," have a title of, "Poll: Most oppose deporting illegal immigrants?"

But anyway, perhaps if African Americans knew a bit more about the impact of illegal immigration, they would evaluate their points of view (which, while more lenient towards illegal immigration, is certainly not a wholesale approval by any stretch!):

Study: "Illegal" immigration hurting African Americans » VivirLatino <--- although this link, in discussing the study, uses a lame attempt to say that "the Man" is using such "data" to "pit illegals and blacks against each other." A cop out, of course, but you have to give them credit for creativity.

Here's a link to some recent immigration (legal and illegal) opinion polls:

Immigration

Old 10-18-2007, 06:17 AM

457 posts, read 431,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why is a thread that cites a story titled, "Poll: Americans want fewer illegal immigrants," have a title of, "Poll: Most oppose deporting illegal immigrants?"

]
Why, that's how the pro-ILLEGALS like to spin things. That's ok though, the laws are getting stricter and and far more enforced one town at a time. Soon, the ILLEGALS will face "DEPORTACION". ;-)

Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,323,302 times
First of all it is a CNN poll-while Lou Dobbs fights hard for Americans and I love him and he is against the illegal invasion-this is still CNN, which is the MSM and in my mind biased.

Second, this is a very small sample.

Third, we do not know how these questions were worded. I can get a poll to come out HOWEVER I want it to depending on how the questions were worded/phrased. I chat on another activist board daily with many Americans of all ethnicities-Black, Hispanic, White, Native American, etc who all want illegals deported.

The MSM is less likely to report Black Americans like Ted Hayes who are fighting against illegals and more likely to cover AL and Jesse who are for Amnesty, etc. and are in bed with La Raza.

How many of you have heard of Ted Hayes and that he has been jailed for his fight? How many of you have heard of the group "You don't speak for me" they are Americans and Legal citizens of Hispanic descent. This is part of the problem-they truth is seldom covered by the MSM. Many Black and Hispanic Americans are members of the minutemen. One of the highest ranking members of the minutemen is a black man. At the Columbia university debacle last year he was called very bad racist words by all the lovely OBL students in the audience. They also charged the stage and went after him. Where was the MSM in reporting this as a "racial incident"?

I don't care what this poll says- I know there are plenty of Americans of all colors, shapes and sizes, from the very left to the very right who want our current immigration laws enforced and illegals GONE. Saving our country from this illegal invasion is not monopolized by white republican men-just look at our waste of a president on this issue. This is not a political, racial or other issue-it is about saving our country.

People need to use sources other than CNN and other MSM sources for the facts on illegal aliens. Fing legitimate blogs-research ALIPAC and Numbers USA. You will not get the real truth from the MSM.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Don't believe any of these stupid "polls". We are being "polled" to death in this country. Nothing is as simple as taking a little poll, and I'm sure there is absolutely no oversight to see whether these polls are being tainted or not. Inform yourself and get the whole story, and the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration