U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2007, 02:48 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,162,786 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
Please! Give me a break...this thread is a joke! Why do all you MOD CUT try to nit-pick and find every little detail you can to trash illegal immigrants. I seriously doubt many illegal aliens bring diseases with them...there's probably more diseases spread by Americans in other countries than diseases spread by illegal aliens.
Excellent point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
Please! Give me a break...this thread is a joke! Why do all you MOD CUT try to nit-pick and find every little detail you can to trash illegal immigrants. I seriously doubt many illegal aliens bring diseases with them...there's probably more diseases spread by Americans in other countries than diseases spread by illegal aliens.
I real seriously think they do. You seem to be implying that the US public health system, CDC, etc. are inferior to their counterparts in the home countries of illegal aliens. Um, no.
Besides, we have our own diseases to deal with. We do not need anyone bringing us more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,124,851 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
Please! Give me a break...this thread is a joke! Why do all you MOD CUT try to nit-pick and find every little detail you can to trash illegal immigrants. I seriously doubt many illegal aliens bring diseases with them...there's probably more diseases spread by Americans in other countries than diseases spread by illegal aliens.
This thread is discussing a serious topic and is backed by links to facts and statistics by the CDC. If you have any proof of your opinions or doubts we would be interested in looking at them. If you do not have any credible backing for your opinions why should we take them seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 PM
 
635 posts, read 1,560,900 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1766726
Hey man, who else will wash the lettuce for $6 dollars an hour? Not me. Nor every other legal citizen in the U.S.
This is exactly why we depend on hard working illegal immigrants, because legal American citizens don't do this labor! If you want to work hard to support your family, I have complete respect for you, legal or illegal, I'm glad to have you around! Without immigrants, the United States would fall severly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,162,786 times
Reputation: 138
And of course, the argument of this forum is "Well why don't they bring the wages up". I don't think the people in the agri market want to pay their workers more considering its mindless work and hard conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,235,610 times
Reputation: 6092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And of course, the argument of this forum is "Well why don't they bring the wages up". I don't think the people in the agri market want to pay their workers more considering its mindless work and hard conditions.
I disagree with you, I think they will elevate the wages to the minimum necessary to get workers. With illegals willing to work for less, this minimum amount is not determined via appropriate economic processes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,162,786 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I disagree with you, I think they will elevate the wages to the minimum necessary to get workers. With illegals willing to work for less, this minimum amount is not determined via appropriate economic processes.
Well thats the responses I have been getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM
 
17,286 posts, read 24,984,526 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Well thats the responses I have been getting.

Nah, you're just not paying attention.

The availability of illegal labor DRIVES wages down.

If there were no pool of illegal labor to draw from, THEN businesses would HAVE to increase wages.

I cite it again and again: In the late 80s, early 90s, my father worked for $8/hr-ish as a construction worker in South Florida. Today, those wages are about the same, only not done by anyone not willing to live 20 to a house, ride a bike everywhere, and shop only at walmart. In other words, illegals have those jobs. Did everyone (Americans, or, like him, legal residents) who my father USED to work with suddenly "get lazy"? Or was there suddenly an alternative to legal workers in the market that has kept wages depressed?

It needs to be hit on both ends: Shut off the pool of cheap labor, and ramp up enforcement against employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
 
157 posts, read 277,063 times
Reputation: 43
Unhappy Logic

The topic was they are bringing disease in the country. When you go to another country you have to produce a shot record along with your passport. If you don't have a certain shot you have to get it or you don't enter that country. Now, while sneaking in the country Illegals are showing NO shot record. Nothing. Chickenpox was almost unheard of. Now, 17 year olds have to get this shot because when baby shots were given this was left out. Why? Because we didn't have it anymore. Illegals are bringing it. They have NO childhood shots. Our health care is so much better. That is why they want WIC (Women Infants & Children) Welfare program for FREE shots. Measles was pretty much stopped too. All of it is coming back. What could be the reason, all American children were vaccinated so they could attend school . They all had to produce a shot record or they could not get into any grade in school. It is the law. Now 18 to 23 year olds have to have a Heptitus shot their senior year of High School or their first year of college. Wonder Why?Some of you saying its alright. Wait till it happens to one of your people. The older these kids are having childhood diseases the sicker they are. Some are hospitalized. It is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
 
162 posts, read 294,084 times
Reputation: 53
What is first the chicken or the egg??? What we need to focus is the illegal employment, without a job they wont come here. And we dont need to waste our time talking about their diseases, food stamps, baby anchors, and bla bla bla.
Push on the employers and all the illegals will take care of themselves in their journey back to wherever they came from. Wake up people, we need to be smarter than these criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top