Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

With that many people out of work, it makes no sense to reward these people & dilute Americans out of the workforce. We already immigrant enough legal immigrants each year.

Last edited by All American NYC; 01-14-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama’s bill was sketched out in a Jan. 12 leak to The New York Times, and it won immediate plaudits from the National Council of La Raza, a major Hispanic lobby group...., the White House said its bill would not grant amnesty to the roughly 11 million illegal immigrants in the country. Instead, “the White House will argue that its solution for illegal immigrants is not an amnesty … because it would include fines, the payment of back taxes and other hurdles for illegal immigrants who would obtain legal status,” the Times reported....But the bill’s future is threatened by a high unemployment level that has left 23 million Americans without full-time employment, and many others skeptical about the need for immigration

With that many people out of work, it makes no sense to reward these people & dilute Americans out of the workforce. We already immigrant enough legal immigrants each year.
Anything that allows them to remain in this country without returning to their homelands and waiting in line is amnesty, IMO. I don't care if they do have to pay fines, etc. (as if this is going to be monitored anyway, yeah right). They will be forgiven felony ID theft also. As you said, this makes no sense with 23 million Americans out of work anyway.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM

157 posts, read 137,224 times
I know that Pres. Obama promised the Latino lobby that he would accomplish immigration reform in his 2nd term; however, with the current economic climate and so many out of work, I think this will be a hard sell. Bush couldn't even get it through before the economy crashed. If Congress won't pass it, though, what is to prevent Obama from just ramming it through via Executive Order?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
I know that Pres. Obama promised the Latino lobby that he would accomplish immigration reform in his 2nd term; however, with the current economic climate and so many out of work, I think this will be a hard sell. Bush couldn't even get it through before the economy crashed. If Congress won't pass it, though, what is to prevent Obama from just ramming it through via Executive Order?
I he has already done something like that. He has given 1.8 million so-called Dreamies a stay of deportation for 2 years along with possible work permits. As for the rest of the illegal immigrants he has ordered ICE not to deport any unless they have a felony "conviction" on their record. It won't take much else to just wave his magic wand and declare them legal and permanent residents.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Because Obama can't change the law via EO. He can only change policies..how the law is carried out.
That's why he gets no flack from Congress..procedural changes can be made by EO.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Congress should prohibit executive orders without the vote of the American people.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Congress should prohibit executive orders without the vote of the American people.
Or at the very least without the vote of congress.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because Obama can't change the law via EO. He can only change policies..how the law is carried out.
That's why he gets no flack from Congress..procedural changes can be made by EO.
It's a loophole. One that should be closed. Our immigration laws say deport em and he won't allow that.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
The word 'amnesty' shouldn't be on anyone's lips with unemployment as high as it is. It's a slap in the face.

If anything we should be curtailing legal immigration, not talking about giving amnesty to millions of unskilled illegals.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

424 posts, read 467,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Anything that allows them to remain in this country without returning to their homelands and waiting in line is amnesty, IMO. I don't care if they do have to pay fines, etc. (as if this is going to be monitored anyway, yeah right). They will be forgiven felony ID theft also. As you said, this makes no sense with 23 million Americans out of work anyway.
I agree. I hope our lawmakers see it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration