U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times

Advertisements

Right now it is not, but think about how people lived in the middle ages and how much things have changed since then, just think that 50 years ago people never imagined that advances such as the internet would change our lives forever, maybe it'll be possible in 50, 100, 300 years?

Imagine people from 300 years in the future reading history books something like this:

XX and early XXI century inhabitants of the world used an ancient technology called internal combustion to feed their vehicles and transport themselves around their cities, free access between citizens from one country and other were restricted mainly due to differences in country's incomes, cultures, customs and laws, it wasn't until globalization was very advanced that a project known as the intergalatic network was started, it was a huge database supported by an advanced quantum computing system which was constantly updated by the people themselves as they kept learning new skills which could be in demand somewhere else in the world.

we still have to evolve a loooong way to be ready for such a concept, how fast we'll get there? as fast as we want to go imho

Respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
A wonderful dream, but It cannot possibly happen until one of two things occurs---(1) The human race becomes so affluent and secure that no one, anywhere, has the need to "take" anything from anyone wealthier---because there's no great hunger or need anymore....OR
(2) After some unimaginable world-wide catastrophe, the human race has been so devastated that no one has the means or the energy to "protect" anything, because there's nothing left in life beyond simple day-to-day survival. No one will think of stopping anyone, they'll be concerned only with their immediate family, and that will be their "territory".

Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM

383 posts, read 1,020,642 times
Most people, I think, don't want the free flow of people. We are not one, big unified world culture, and will never be one, at least in the next couple lifetimes. Just the way it is.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,222,879 times
Wouldn't work. Different values, terrorists, etc. Looked what happened to the Roman Empire.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Most people, I think, don't want the free flow of people. We are not one, big unified world culture, and will never be one, at least in the next couple lifetimes. Just the way it is.
Sounds like a favorite "what-if" of mine. If you could take every single individual on earth, spread them out uniformly over the land, give them the means for survival, and insist that they forget all their past grudges, I can guarantee what would happen.

People would begin to "buddy up". Some would wander around "bullying" others, which would force otherwise-peaceful souls to unite in groups for mutual protection.

At the end of six months, you'd have problems as big as when you started. People would have segregated into cliques, clubs, and gangs. These would rival, and "clash" with each other, and very soon the human race would be back to normal---fighting and conflict. It wouldn't be anybody's particular "fault", exactly---it's just the way we're built.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,017,866 times
I don't wish to live under Sharia Muslim law: I am female, do representational art for a living, and love my animals. I don't wish to live under the Mexican government's idea of social engineering: if you're not extremely wealthy, go break the laws of another country and do everything you can to rob its citizenry of monies and services that they will never get specifically because of you, and to be sure those gringos know you hate them.

There's only a few countries and political systems left that believe in equal rights, education for all, no misogyny, avoiding cruelty to animals, political representation for all, and the right to pursue happiness. Even if these political systems fall short, they at least try for these aims. I am glad I live in one of them. Our cultural differences actually are hard won takes on moral differences on enlightenment. To force me, an American, to live under under the laws of, say, Saudi Arabia or Mexico would be repulsive.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I don't wish to live under Sharia Muslim law: I am female, do representational art for a living, and love my animals. I don't wish to live under the Mexican government's idea of social engineering: if you're not extremely wealthy, go break the laws of another country and do everything you can to rob its citizenry of monies and services that they will never get specifically because of you, and to be sure those gringos know you hate them.

There's only a few countries and political systems left that believe in equal rights, education for all, no misogyny, avoiding cruelty to animals, political representation for all, and the right to pursue happiness. Even if these political systems fall short, they at least try for these aims. I am glad I live in one of them. Our cultural differences actually are hard won takes on moral differences on enlightenment. To force me, an American, to live under under the laws of, say, Saudi Arabia or Mexico would be repulsive.
Another "zinger" of a post. Lots of irony here, in the fact that you live in freedom, and are not willing to lose that by being TOO free. The freedom we live in must protect itself by keeping ever vigilant.

Reminds me of the current situation in Western Europe. While our new immigrants here in the US seem destined to overload our system and infrastructure, some of Europe's seem far more sinister. The Netherlands comes to mind--probably one of the world's most secular, free-and-easy, laid back cultures (remember the pot-smoking, long-haired Army recruits?), which is probably headed for a future as a police state if something isn't done very soon, all because of an angry, unassimilable group of immigrants who openly detest Dutch culture. Seems there's such a thing as being TOO nice...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds like a favorite "what-if" of mine. If you could take every single individual on earth, spread them out uniformly over the land, give them the means for survival, and insist that they forget all their past grudges, I can guarantee what would happen.

People would begin to "buddy up". Some would wander around "bullying" others, which would force otherwise-peaceful souls to unite in groups for mutual protection.

At the end of six months, you'd have problems as big as when you started. People would have segregated into cliques, clubs, and gangs. These would rival, and "clash" with each other, and very soon the human race would be back to normal---fighting and conflict. It wouldn't be anybody's particular "fault", exactly---it's just the way we're built.
This is very true Macmeal, we as human beings have egoes who delude us and are subject to the dualities of this world, but we also have a compasionate side in our souls, even the ¨most evil¨person in the world has this part inside him / her

aren't we already in the process of the construction of a global culture and we haven't even noticed? (just think about we are doing here, we people from diferent parts of the world exchanging ideas)

wouldn't be a spiritual revolution be possible?

are we a finished product without any chance to change?

do you think societies and cultures with stay in their current state of evolution forever?

don't all world religions say God is love?

aren't we his / her children?

Respect!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-18-2007 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,017,866 times
Thanks for your take, macmeal, and reminding us of the big picture with apt decriptions "sinister" and "unassimilable." I have often wondered why these bigots/zealots/haters chose to move permanently to countries so contrary to their absolutes. Members of my extended family have in fact happily worked in Saudi Arabia for limited terms of employment (and even met future spouses from other lands): they would never, however, have chosen to live there forever.

I hope all reading these forums realize the importance of American values, and those of all the other remaining countries with similar or parallel values of basic decency ( "too nice?") I still cringe to recall the loutish post of someone here who answered another post protesting the innate rudeness within Latino machismo seen too often with guys screaming obscenities at women as a matter of course: this individual wrote: "get used to it."

Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
I don't think it would be desirable to have a free flow of people. It would cause too much of an infringement on other people's cultures and values. I do think at some point in the future we will eliminate almost all poverty and disease. But that won't be for many, many generations. But even if we at some point move out into space and colonize other planets people will still gravitate towards like individuals. People like to pass on their religion to their children. Many people want children and grandchildren that look like themselves and not a person of another race. While I do think we will eliminate war at some point, it will be more the result of people respecting others and not forcing themselves on to others and their cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration