U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
U.S. citizenship is something special, and it has great value. It ought not to be bartered away in a round of horse-trading.

There should not be a roadblock to citizenship, but nether does there need to be a direct pathway.

They're caught in suspended animation, not belonging to one country or another. They deserve a pathway to legal status, and a final resolution to a debate that really isn't as difficult as some make it.
Solve immigration without a quick path to citizenship - CNN.com

You're right, Ruben. U.S. citizenship should not be bartered away. But, neither should legal status. I would certainly like to know what they have done to "deserve" a path to legalization, or a path to anything in this country. No, their direct path should lead back to their countries of origin. If they want legal status and a path to citizenship, the only way they will "earn" that opportunity is by playing by the same rules as the millions of foreigners who put forth the time, effort, and expense to go through legal channels.

So, illegals are "in suspended animation, not belonging to one country or another?" If we don't grant amnesty, these poor souls will be forced to remain here without a country to call their own? Give me a break. The last time I checked, people don't lose their citizenship simply by choosing to live in another country illegally. This is total BS, and typical of the pro-illegal propaganda machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM

31,461 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

You're right, Ruben. U.S. citizenship should not be bartered away. But, neither should legal status. I would certainly like to know what they have done to "deserve" a path to legalization, or a path to anything in this country. No, their direct path should lead back to their countries of origin. If they want legal status and a path to citizenship, the only way they will "earn" that opportunity is by playing by the same rules as the millions of foreigners who put forth the time, effort, and expense to go through legal channels.

So, illegals are "in suspended animation, not belonging to one country or another?" If we don't grant amnesty, these poor souls will be forced to remain here without a country to call their own? Give me a break. The last time I checked, people don't lose their citizenship simply by choosing to live in another country illegally. This is total BS, and typical of the pro-illegal propaganda machine.
Ruben just can't seem to help himself. No matter how he tries to paint himself as being rational and unbiased on this issue his true colors come shining through. It is all about ethnic ties to him as it is to most Hispanics. Never will it be about the best interests of this country as a whole.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,858,327 times
Solve Immigration Without a Quick Path to Citizenship?

That's easy: deportation

Operation wet back was done before. It can be done again.

The Border | 1953 Operation *******

Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ruben just can't seem to help himself. No matter how he tries to paint himself as being rational and unbiased on this issue his true colors come shining through. It is all about ethnic ties to him as it is to most Hispanics. Never will it be about the best interests of this country as a whole.
Dreamies were outraged, and he received a boatload of criticism from Hispanics after his article accusing them of being arrogant and entitlement-minded. I guess he's trying to make amends, and ensure them he's still on their side. Heaven forbid illegals should be offended by the truth.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Dreamies were outraged, and he received a boatload of criticism from Hispanics after his article accusing them of being arrogant and entitlement-minded. I guess he's trying to make amends, and ensure them he's still on their side. Heaven forbid illegals should be offended by the truth.

You're probably right. He was viewed as an ethnic traitor with that column he wrote and couldn't take the heat.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're probably right. He was viewed as an ethnic traitor with that column he wrote and couldn't take the heat.
Note the change in tone in the following. What happened to arrogant, whiny, and entitlement-minded? Now, DACA for Dreamies is somehow one of two "bright spots" in Obama's immigration record.

Quote:
But there are two bright spots in Obama's immigration record. Last summer, the White House announced a policy change that lets undocumented young people avoid deportation by applying for deferred action and two-year work permits. And last month, in a much more obscure change, the administration said it would ease requirements to help undocumented immigrants who seek permanent residency and must return to their home countries to do so.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Note the change in tone in the following. What happened to arrogant, whiny, and entitlement-minded? Now, DACA for Dreamies is somehow one of two "bright spots" in Obama's immigration record.
Yep, the ethnic lobby got to him.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
Quote:

These illegals are the sons and daughters of Mexico. That is their country. And if they grew up in an illegal family here in America most likely they are well versed in Mexican culture, language, and customs and should not be such a big adjustment for them to go home.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Solve immigration by deporting the illegals and slapping HEAVY fines on businesses who hire them. I mean HEAVY. Make it HURT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or