Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times

Advertisements

^^^^

A legitimate claim is being made there, some illegal immigrants are parasites but there are somes who aren't too.

what would you propose to do with the ones who are just sucking America dry instead of showing apprecation and love for her?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:25 PM

447 posts, read 798,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
^^^^

A legitimate claim is being made there, some illegal immigrants are parasites but there are somes who aren't too.

what would you propose to do with the ones who are just sucking America dry instead of showing apprecation and love for her?

plain and simple...deport them

Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 PM

you have my support! these people were asking for it in the first place imo, if they are deported and refuse to mend their ways and contribute positively for the development of Mexican society and culture they should be subject to our nation's laws.

now, what do you propose to do with those ilegal immigrants who want to be a part of your country as those who came before them and made America what it is?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Quote:
^^^^

To answer the original question, I'm not a criminal so I wouldn't be an illegal alien. IF I was one, I'd leave. I'm a law abiding person. Always have been.

I realize there are people out there that want to improve their lot in life and break the law to do it. Illegal aliens are no more justified in committing their criminal acts than drug dealers or car thieves are. Both want to improve their lives financially.

All illegal aliens are criminals. They should be arrested, jailed, have all their assets seized, then put on road gangs to pay their debt to America before finally being deported. If an illegal alien is here they're in no way showing love and appreciation for this country. They are in fact, showing disregard and distrain for it, and her people.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:

...now, what do you propose to do with those ilegal immigrants who want to be a part of your country as those who came before them and made America what it is?
If they are illegal then they don't belong here and need to leave. If necessary declare a national emergency, activate the national guard, and go house to house and root them out. Their assets should be seized, then they should be jailed in a tent city jail while performing hard labor. They deport them.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
you have my support! these people were asking for it in the first place imo, if they are deported and refuse to mend their ways and contribute positively for the development of Mexican society and culture they should be subject to our nation's laws.

now, what do you propose to do with those ilegal immigrants who want to be a part of your country as those who came before them and made America what it is?
Those who came before and made America what it is, came here legally. The requirements may have been different, but they were in compliance with the laws at the time.
IMO, the vast majority of illegal immigrants are not remotely interested in America, they are only interested in what America can offer them. What brings them here is not some love for America, a wish to live in a more democratic society or anything like that. What brings them here is a) they can make more money b) the government here can be bilked or pressured into providing them with more than they can get from their own governments. They want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want to live here and take full advantage of the US benefit system all the while retaining their native customs, language and allegiance to their home country. They feel no need or desire to assimilate and certain elements of our society have fostered this.
When people came here at the turn of the last century, there was a long voyage involved and a sense of making a clean break with the 'old country'.
There was a drive to be 'American'. People learned to speak English, not only so they could communicate with American citizens but also so they could communicate with each other. This is often overlooked. While the majority came from Europe, they spoke many different languages and observed different customs. Today, the majority of illegals come from south of the Border and Spanish is widely spoken so they are able to form communities that are essentially isolated from the English speaking US population. 100 years ago they could not do that. No one foreign language was so completely dominant. And measure were taken to spread the newcomers out over the continental US specifically so they would need to intemingle and assimilate with Americans.
People in other parts of the country may live among a population of illegals that differ alot from the ones I come in contact with. A long time ago I live in Texas for a number of years and had contact with alot of people with hispanic heritage. Their roots in this country often went back generations and frankly, on the whole they were delightful people. See, I cannot imagine the people I knew then burning US flags or demanding things they were not entitiled to. They simply were not like that.
And this is where the problem lies: how do you sort out the people who DO wish to embrace America from those who are simply taking advantage of the situation? I think there is no easy answer.

I appreciate that you are working for a better Mexico and it is good to have input from someone who is 'on the front lines', so to speak.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Those who came before and made America what it is, came here legally. The requirements may have been different, but they were in compliance with the laws at the time.
IMO, the vast majority of illegal immigrants are not remotely interested in America, they are only interested in what America can offer them. What brings them here is not some love for America, a wish to live in a more democratic society or anything like that. What brings them here is a) they can make more money b) the government here can be bilked or pressured into providing them with more than they can get from their own governments. They want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want to live here and take full advantage of the US benefit system all the while retaining their native customs, language and allegiance to their home country. They feel no need or desire to assimilate and certain elements of our society have fostered this.
When people came here at the turn of the last century, there was a long voyage involved and a sense of making a clean break with the 'old country'.
There was a drive to be 'American'. People learned to speak English, not only so they could communicate with American citizens but also so they could communicate with each other. This is often overlooked. While the majority came from Europe, they spoke many different languages and observed different customs. Today, the majority of illegals come from south of the Border and Spanish is widely spoken so they are able to form communities that are essentially isolated from the English speaking US population. 100 years ago they could not do that. No one foreign language was so completely dominant. And measure were taken to spread the newcomers out over the continental US specifically so they would need to intemingle and assimilate with Americans.
People in other parts of the country may live among a population of illegals that differ alot from the ones I come in contact with. A long time ago I live in Texas for a number of years and had contact with alot of people with hispanic heritage. Their roots in this country often went back generations and frankly, on the whole they were delightful people. See, I cannot imagine the people I knew then burning US flags or demanding things they were not entitiled to. They simply were not like that.
And this is where the problem lies: how do you sort out the people who DO wish to embrace America from those who are simply taking advantage of the situation? I think there is no easy answer.

I appreciate that you are working for a better Mexico and it is good to have input from someone who is 'on the front lines', so to speak.
One more example of what I've been stressing, in that the illegals themselves are not radically different from earlier waves of arrivals--poorly-educated, unfamiliar with the finer points of "gringo" culture, and generally coming from a "rough" background.
What IS RADICALLY DIFFERENTis the "America" into which they're arriving. From a stern, hard-headed message of "Here's the American Dream--take advantage of it if you choose. But you'll get no special favors, only the chance for a new life. Sink or swim, it's up to you" we have now evolved to an attitude of "How may we HELP you? What can we do for you, Mr. Immigrant? Don't worry about the silly points of language or behavior--we can work those out. The important thing is, you're HERE now, and we're here to help".....

The American society has done nearly a complete "180" in just a few short decades. It's little wonder to me that our present attitude of multicultural, ill-defined values, and our guilty mandate to accomodate and "appease" any and all newcomers, asking virtually nothing from them in return, has resulted in a very non-patriotic, sneering, ungrateful class of modern immigrants. They don't care, because, in their eyes, WE don't care---we don't even insist on citizenship. Why should THEY respect us, if WE don't respect ourselves? Appeasement and accomodation result not in gratitude, but in disgust and contempt. That's just how the world works.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:12 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
If your family is starving you could care less if your breaking the law to come to the U.S.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If your family is starving you could care less if your breaking the law to come to the U.S.
Which is why we need to put the military on the border and throw anyone in prison that hires an illegal. No jobs, no illegals.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:05 PM

I appreciate very much every one responses to my questions!

I would like to kindly ask everybody to reflect on what you just posted as your reply and try to picture yourself in the shoes of the illegal who would be facing the solutions you suggested.

just some food for thought

Respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration