U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I appreciate very much every one responses to my questions!

I would like to kindly ask everybody to reflect on what you just posted as your reply and try to picture yourself in the shoes of the illegal who would be facing the solutions you suggested.

just some food for thought

Respect!

I'm reflecting, Travelling Fella....(reflect, reflect )....and I still stand by what I said (which is substantially the "common sense" approach to illegal immigrants of 30 years ago). I can't think of anything I left out.....

Give us more projects !!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 PM

140 posts, read 79,785 times
Quote:
^^^^

A legitimate claim is being made there, some illegal immigrants are parasites but there are somes who aren't too.

what would you propose to do with the ones who are just sucking America dry instead of showing apprecation and love for her?
I think that being in our country illegally, in and of itself, is not an unforgivable crime. If that was the only crime committed then I would think that a hefty fine would be in order providing that the individual had made some effort to assimilate to our culture. The problem is that few, if any, would fall into this catagory. The reason for this is simple; once you start breaking laws, and are not punished for it, you begin to take bigger and bigger risks. After awhile you simply have absolutely no respect for the authority that is supposed to be enforcing the rules nor the citizens who gave the authority its power. Government, like it's citizens, needs to be held accountable for it's actions and lack therof.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,491,127 times
Quote:
^^^^

A legitimate claim is being made there, some illegal immigrants are parasites but there are somes who aren't too.

what would you propose to do with the ones who are just sucking America dry instead of showing apprecation and love for her?
Make them pick fruit and veggies free for six months then deport them.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If your family is starving you could care less if your breaking the law to come to the U.S.

Their familes are NOT starving......

Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Their familes are NOT starving......

Really? If you haven't noticed most of Latin America is third world. People in Mexico live under $4.16 a day. Almost half of the population in Mexico is under poverty. I've seen first hand at starving people in Mexico, I go there every December. You have no clue. Have you not seen the 30 days where the border patrol volunteer got sent to Mexico?!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:50 AM

[quote=ProLogic;1790044]Really? If you haven't noticed most of Latin America is third world. People in Mexico live under $4.16 a day. Almost half of the population in Mexico is under poverty. I've seen first hand at starving people in Mexico, I go there every December. You have no clue. Have you not seen the 30 days where the border patrol volunteer got sent to Mexico?![/QUOT

I'll say it again they are NOY starving.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:54 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,063,749 times
Quote:
Really? If you haven't noticed most of Latin America is third world. People in Mexico live under $4.16 a day. Almost half of the population in Mexico is under poverty. I've seen first hand at starving people in Mexico, I go there every December. You have no clue. Have you not seen the 30 days where the border patrol volunteer got sent to Mexico?!
Are you claiming all illegals are starving? If so, having worked (and still working) with hundreds of illegals over the last twenty-five years, I can assure you that not only are all illegals not starving, but I have yet to meet one who was. I have met a former teacher (who earned more money as a busboy at the downtown Dallas Holiday Inn), a former architecture student from Mexico City (whose stated reason for immigrating illegally was, "Because Mexico sucks."), a former banker from Guatemala (whom I now work with, who earns $11/hr.), a former electrician, numerous auto mechanics, etc., etc. I'm afraid it is you who have no clue.

Either way, one's economic status is a poor excuse for breaking the law. What do you propose? Should we categorize illegals based on income? What would be the cutoff point? What of those who earn above this cutoff point? Should our immigration policy be based on economic need alone? What of American citizens and legal residents who live below the poverty line? Should we allow them to break certain laws as well?

(I might add that I currently work with three family members who immigrated illegally before the '86 amnesty. They were dirt poor subsistence farmers in Mexico. They had no electricity, no gasoline, no machinery. All work was done by them and there draft animals. They were not starving. If you want starving people, try Ethiopia. Mexico is quite wealthy, by world standards.)

Old 10-21-2007, 11:58 AM

I'm talking about people from Mexico and Latin America starving and have no other choice but to come to the United States for a chance at a better life. Read my other post next time before you make assumptions. People seem to think i am Pro-Illegal. I'm not, I think tighter border security is much needed. However-- We know the Government won't start deporting anyone any time soon. The Government should give amnesty to all illegals ALREADY LIVING HERE and charge them for whatever money the Government wants. For those who refuse to pay, they should be deported and/or take money out of their paycheck. I don't think once they're legal they would want to be paid under the table.

Last edited by ProLogic; 10-21-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,063,749 times
Quote:
I'm talking about people from Mexico and Latin America starving and have no other choice but to come to the United States for a chance at a better life. Read my other post next time before you make assumptions.
Who is this directed at? If you're replying to me, please explain your post as I can't make sense of what you're saying.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM

MOD CUT I'm saying that peoples situations in South America are, they either come to the U.S at a chance at a better life or they can die. My dad has said this before and I will say it again. There is no future for the poor people in South America. What would you choose to be, be poor here? Or South America? Thats why they come to the U.S.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-21-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or