U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
you have my support! these people were asking for it in the first place imo, if they are deported and refuse to mend their ways and contribute positively for the development of Mexican society and culture they should be subject to our nation's laws.

now, what do you propose to do with those ilegal immigrants who want to be a part of your country as those who came before them and made America what it is?

i wish there was a clear cut answer to your question, travelling fella...i guess my answer would be that anyone proving his/her loyalty to america should be welcome, because i feel that is america's basis.
give me your tired your poor....etc....we already had an amnesty in the past which was supposed to help the illegal situation, yet, government failed to enforce the immigration laws afterward, or we wouldnt be in this mess now.
i think if an amnesty is again instituted, then the illegals who can prove their only crime is entering america illegally should be able to stay , after agreeing to some kind of fine....i'm not against someone wanting a better life for themselves or their family. i am human.
the fact remains there is no way to deport 20+ million people, yet there is a way to deport the ones who have been arrested for violent crimes since being here.
i wish the world wasnt such a cesspool of greed and hatred, but in my heart i know that it cannot be only the americans place to make a difference.
these other countries whose people are illegally immigrating to america must do something to help....
hope my answer gives you some relief for your concerns.

 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I am not pro-illegal. You think I want tax money to be spent on illegals? I don't even want tax money to be spent on welfare! I'm not saying that all of them had no choice, but a lot didn't. Which is why they ended up here. And I don't think any illegal person has ever walked into a house and raped people and eaten their food. Stop using ridiculous analogies to support your post. I don't think anyone should feast off anyones fruits of their labor which is why I don't support welfare and socialized welfare. And you completely changed the subject ranting about all the bad things that criminal illegals have done. Not all Illegals rape people and kill people.
yet, some do.....prologic, you say you are not pro illegal , yet everything you post seems to point that way.
i will tell you again, it will be very hard for you to convince me that most illegals are only here to better their lives, as my family has been the victims of an illegal ...in a very violent way, and his only concern was for himself, as he ran from justice for nine years before getting caught...
there are so many families who have been affected by these vilolent illegals, if you are as "open minded" as you want us to beleive, then access the websites for these victims, and read each and every name of those victims, and then, if you still dont believe that illegal immigration is a problem, then email some of those families as i have done, and tell them that illegal immigration is a victimless crime. i dare you....no...i double dog dare you...dude.

what about the millions of americans who are "starving"
we never hear a word about that , yet there are many who are so poor they cannot feed their families three square meals a day, yet millions of dollars in aid is going to the illegal and their families, instead of these true blooded americans....there are americans who cannot even afford to take their kids to the doctor, or the dentist, yet millions of dollars are paying for the illegals dentists, and their healthcare....
doesnt any of this strick a nerve in your soul?
this is sooo wrong, why do you think so many people are aginst illegal immigration?

and dont worry, i dont expect you to respond to my questions, because you havent done so yet...all i'm saying is, americans are tired...they are tired for good reasons, and all the sympathy you show for illegals could be better served on your fellow americans.
 
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Why would there be statistics on people starving on their homeland? And I'm not talking about just Mexico, Latin America in general. Haven't you seen those commercials on T.V about feeding the starving children? And you think people who are hungry and have little or nothing to eat is a false emotion? Wow. You missed the point buddy.
Quote:
I'm talking about people from Mexico and Latin America starving and have no other choice but to come to the United States for a chance at a better life.
Many people have asked you for proof for your statements that illegal aliens from Mexico come here because they are starving. To date, you have provided none.

Here is some proof that they are not:

World Health Organization (WHO)

Definition: Obesity (BMI ? 30 kg/m˛)
Age-standardized estimates for BMI ? 30 kg/m˛ by country for ages 15-100 years, estimates for 2005

country sex prevalence

Mexico female 34.3%

Mexico male 24%

WHO Global InfoBase Online : Reports

A country in which almost one third of the population is obese does not have widespread starvation. How many obese people do you suppose there are in Darfur? Or Somalia?


Here is a map from FAO showing the % of undernourished pop. in each country. Your (and others) claim that millions of illegals largely from Mexico are forced to flee here or face starvation does not stand up to closer scrutiny.



Food Security Statistics

Last edited by andreabeth; 10-22-2007 at 08:56 PM..
 
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
Reputation: 6087
That is an interesting map, it provides some new information. My reading of it is that Mexico has an undernourished population in the 5-15% range. I guess this could translate into a few million illegals still trying to come over here. Based on the date of that map, I assume that those percentages only apply to those folks still in Mexico, I wonder how they counted the illegals here, and the split families?
 
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
From JAMA:

Quote:
High Prevalence of Obesity Among the Poor in Mexico

To the Editor: The burden of disease in developing countries has traditionally been characterized by undernutrition and infectious diseases. However, lifestyle in many developing countries now parallels that in the developed world, with increasing prevalence of overweight and obesity.1 It is unclear, however, how the prevalence of obesity varies across levels of socioeconomic status within such societies.

In the 2003 sample from low-income, rural regions of Mexico, the combined prevalence of overweight and obesity was nearly 60% in women and more than 50% in men (Table 1), which was slightly lower than the prevalence found in the nationally representative sample from 2000 (67% in women and 61% in men). However, this difference was not significant.


There is a high prevalence of overweight and obesity in the poorest segment of the Mexican population, and the prevalence is only slightly lower than that reported for a nationally representative health survey. The survey does not contain data about differences among regions of Mexico. Although the data do not permit conclusions about the causes of obesity in this population, we note that the prevalence of obesity we found is equal to or higher than in other Latin American countries.5
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/291/21/2544
 
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That is an interesting map, it provides some new information. My reading of it is that Mexico has an undernourished population in the 5-15% range. I guess this could translate into a few million illegals still trying to come over here. Based on the date of that map, I assume that those percentages only apply to those folks still in Mexico, I wonder how they counted the illegals here, and the split families?
I assume the illegal aliens would be counted in the US data. It looks like the determination is made on the population numbers, irrespective of whether they are citizens or not. Also, being undernourished is not the same as starving to death. We have undernourished here in the US.

Quote:
Definition:
Undernourishment refers to the condition of people whose dietary energy intake is below that needed for maintaining a healthy and active life. The undernourished refers to those in this condition.

The number of persons undernourished is obtained by multiplying estimates of the proportion of undernourished for each country by estimates of the total population.
http://www.fao.org/faostat/foodsecur...ourishment.xls
 
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
These hypothetical questions... Sigh..
What would I do if I were born with six arms and my parents had none? Live with it.
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Why aren't we illegal immigrants or why are our parents not illegal immigrants?

Certainly there are countries we could break into, we could sneak over to Mexico or to Canada and live illegal -- so why aren't we illegals? Why do we bother with passports, travel visas and travel cards?

We don't choose to be illegals and our parents also didn't choose to be illegals is why.

Last edited by malamute; 05-27-2008 at 08:48 PM..
 
Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 AM
 
1 posts, read 755 times
Reputation: 10
I would work hard,study real hard and try to demonstrate that i am not trash,that i am capable of learning the language and show that i dont take any welfare or help from goverment.

I would help them and try to be somebody important so when i have my kids show them what i suffered and teach them to be gratefull and learn that god did not say who could live in a place and who could be banned,teach them that today is for you and tomorrow is for me,because if you were dying and you need a heart would you prefer to die? Or accept an immigrants heart?
 
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies and diamonds View Post
I would work hard,study real hard and try to demonstrate that i am not trash,that i am capable of learning the language and show that i dont take any welfare or help from goverment.

I would help them and try to be somebody important so when i have my kids show them what i suffered and teach them to be gratefull and learn that god did not say who could live in a place and who could be banned,teach them that today is for you and tomorrow is for me,because if you were dying and you need a heart would you prefer to die? Or accept an immigrants heart?
So we should harvest illegal aliens for their organs? Kind of radical but you have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top