U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times

Advertisements

I'm curious on knowing what people would do in this situation.

I guess if you are an adult and decided to put yourself in this situation at least you were conscious of the consequneces of it, but what if you were an innocent child who was born in this situation, what would you do in both cases?

I decided to ask this question to other forum users because we can't deny the existance of this phenomenon, I personally don't support ilegal immigration because there are a lot of consequences with it, both for the immigrant, the citizens of the country he decided to immigrate and the immigrant's family, but i'm unsure on the way this problem should be solved specially because this is an issue that creates divisions between people, however there is something in which everyone who has sticked to this forum agrees, we are all concerned about this phenomenon and want something done about it, some for economic reasons, some because their lifes have been profoundly affected by it and some because they are sympathetic with immigrants and believe deportation or criminalization is not the solution and a more humane approach should be taken, and there must be a lot of other reasons for sure that will continue being talked here, that's why I thought it would be interesting to know the answers of people with different views toward illegal immigration on these 2 questions.

So what would you do if you were in the shoes of an illegal immigrant?
and what would you do if you were an illegal immigrants son?

Respect!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-19-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 03:52 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,213,984 times
I'm not sure I understand your question, but if my parents were being sent to Mexico, and I was a minor, I would choose to go with them.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times
Sorry I must haven't been very clear then, my questions were the following.

what would you do if you were in an illegal immigrant shoes?

what would you do if you were in the shoes of a son of illegal immigrants?

I guess you answered my second question already

Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,453,413 times
I would continue to work and live in the US until I was caught and forced to leave.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Sorry I must haven't been very clear then, my questions were the following.

what would you do if you were in an illegal immigrant shoes?

what would you do if you were in the shoes of a son of illegal immigrants?

I guess you answered my second question already
I'd make excuses for why we should stay. And if they had to be deported, I'd go with them. Or if I were legal, I'd send them money, and try to get them over here the LEGAL way.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM

402 posts, read 938,055 times
I can't picture myself in either situation, becausse I would never inter another country illegally.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
If I were a Mexican illegal, for example, I'd go home and fight so we citizens can reclaim our country. I don't think I'd be alone. There are undoubtedly others who would be willing to stand and fight for the future of Mexico right along side me. Not everyone takes the easy way out.

Respect other countries laws!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
If I were living in a poor country, and had a chance to enter a rich one, I suppose I'd go for it and take a chance. If I knew it was illegal, I'd probably take the chance anyway, rationalizing that my needs were more important than some theoretical immigration law that I could SEE wasn't being taken seriously by anyone.
I'd probably stay as long as I could, KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT and TRYING TO KEEP A LOW PROFILE and to NOT DRAW ATTENTION TO MYSELF and to NOT ANNOY THE LOCALS, as I continued to work, save my money, and hope things got better for me in the future, while remembering that, despite my hardships, things here were a HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN THEY WERE BACK HOME.
If I were the minor child of an illegal, I'd have to accompany them if they got deported.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
That's is the most distrubing thing about the illegals. If they were people of integrity, they would work on their own country instead of trying to steal their way into someone else's.

1. They are not law abiding.
2. They have nothing to lose, so they do anything they want to do.
3. They are sending money earned here out of our country.
4. They are a drain on our society because of medical, legal, some of them live in homes we pay for with taxes, they take jobs legal citizens could do--yes they do!
5. They are being protected by our elected officials who care more about them than they do about us.
6. They are not being asked to be responsible for themselves in many ways.

I could go on, but that's enough.

As a law abiding citizen and a person who respects the law, I would not be here illegally.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,279,691 times
Great post right above me by North Carolina Native.
Look, we all know WHY people come El Norte...they want a better life. Who, on an emotional level, can blame these people.

However, it is not 1612, or 1803 or 1911 anymore. The country has serious problems trying to supply CITIZENS with good jobs, fair and decent housing, paying for health care, and sorting out Homeland Security. (just a few of our problems).

We don't need anymore problems. We can't afford illegals milking off the system.
It's a matter of self preservation.

I'm sorry that so many illegals coming here are uneducated and unwanted in their own (corrupt) countries but we can't solve the world's problems when we have people starving and living on poverty's edge who are USA citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or