U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:36 PM

140 posts, read 79,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Funny you should propose that, when obtaining my drivers license in CA last year, they wouldn't accept the SSN card, nor my Ohio license. I had to actually go back and get a copy of the birth certificate, and bring it with me to DMV. They called back to my state of origin, and validated the authenticity (numerical registration).
That's refreshing. A few years ago a local hispanic woman who worked for the DMV got herself in a lot of trouble for stealing identities and selling drivers licenses, id cards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM

38 posts, read 32,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
I remember a few years ago there was alot of talk about requiring a national id for all us citizens. As I recall the national id would be required for just about everything from opening a savings/checking account to crossing state line to applying for a job. At the time I felt that it was a knee jerk reaction to the terrorist attacks of 911 but I am starting to think that it would help curb illegal immigration as wellas provide more security.
The response, as I remember it, from such watchdog groups as the ACLU is that it would be an invasion of privacy. Question I am posing is if it were to sow up on the ballot, how many people would approve? I certainly would.
Hell, let's just all stick out our hand and take a mark while we're at it. How about a microchip in the head? Yeah I am sure that would go over well. How about just enforcing LAWS we already have in place instead of crawfishing backwards about them? Now that's what I am talking about. Take a strong stance. Deport illegal immigrants - they are criminals in OUR country.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
A this has been put into law already so its too late to talk now (Bush sneaked it into the Iraq budget with almost any citizens knowing

B:
The ONLY thing we need is for government to do their job and enforce the laws and not ignore them to create a society thats needs their control while enabling them to meet their agenda of a One World Government.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
I remember a few years ago there was alot of talk about requiring a national id for all us citizens. As I recall the national id would be required for just about everything from opening a savings/checking account to crossing state line to applying for a job. At the time I felt that it was a knee jerk reaction to the terrorist attacks of 911 but I am starting to think that it would help curb illegal immigration as wellas provide more security.
The response, as I remember it, from such watchdog groups as the ACLU is that it would be an invasion of privacy. Question I am posing is if it were to sow up on the ballot, how many people would approve? I certainly would.
If they can fake a driver's license, passport, or social security card what is to stop them from faking this?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM

Actually they would then only need to fake 1 id to get the "all the keys" to someones identity.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
I just heard from a friend today who recently moved to Pennsylvania. He has a drivers license from another state. He went to the DMV as required, to change his address to his PA address so he could start the process of registering and insuring his car in PA (it was registered in his previous state).

Well, he was denied a license because he is a 'non-immigrant' foreigner with a visa that has an expiration date (but in all likelihood the visa will either be extended or he will receive a green card). Hmmm. This guy has a great job, is one of the brightest and the best, and is just trying to follow all the rules of his new state.

What is he supposed to do? Walk the seventeen miles to work every day?

I think it's crazy that Pennslvania or any state can deny someone the right to drive when that person is a law abiding resident in every way. What exactly is the purpose of denying this?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
It doesn't make sense to me, why not just provide a license with an expiration date matching the date his visa expires?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM

If his visa is expired they did the right thing to deny him. He needs to get the visa issue fixed before getting a new license and since most states give you time to do change your license this shouldnt be an issue...unless your saying that he should get a license regardless if his Visa is expired? That would be unlawfull

Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
If his visa is expired they did the right thing to deny him. He needs to get the visa issue fixed before getting a new license and since most states give you time to do change your license this shouldnt be an issue...unless your saying that he should get a license regardless if his Visa is expired? That would be unlawfull
That's not what I said. I said his visa *has* an expiration date, not that the expiration date has come and gone. Kind of like when you buy a carton of milk on Oct. 25 and the expiration date is Nov. 8. You can still drink the milk til Nov. 8. Just because there is an expiration date does not mean that the expiration date has passed.

In his case, he is completely and totally legal to be here. In the end, he was given a license with an expiration date that matches the one on his visa, but this was only after aruging about it and the DMV requesting a letter from his workplace. However, the visa is good whether he is working or not (it is called optional practical training and does not depend on an offer of employment) so this was an additional request that goes above and beyond what they should be asking for.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It doesn't make sense to me, why not just provide a license with an expiration date matching the date his visa expires?
That would make too much sense for government beauracracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration