U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 09:34 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

I just thought of something here:

Is it possible that Mexico is petrified of a bunch of expatriate (sp) Mexicans returning and the letter group taking over SOB due to their significantly higher level of education and initiative forged by their stay here in the USA?

Think about it: most illegals speak passable English and their US born and raised children can read and write in our language as well. Knowing good English (like 'traveling fella') is a trump card in today's world.

And too the experiences of the illegals here in the USA taught them that they are not just a bunch of peons who can be treated like dirt. Pretty damn sad that an illegal immigrant who stays under the radar here is treated better than a law abiding Mexican in his own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM

447 posts, read 706,092 times
sad indeed.....
good post.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I just thought of something here:

Is it possible that Mexico is petrified of a bunch of expatriate (sp) Mexicans returning and the letter group taking over SOB due to their significantly higher level of education and initiative forged by their stay here in the USA?

Think about it: most illegals speak passable English and their US born and raised children can read and write in our language as well. Knowing good English (like 'traveling fella') is a trump card in today's world.

And too the experiences of the illegals here in the USA taught them that they are not just a bunch of peons who can be treated like dirt. Pretty damn sad that an illegal immigrant who stays under the radar here is treated better than a law abiding Mexican in his own country.
You no doubt are on to something here. The "macho" culture of Mexico has always bristled at the thought of being dictated to by the "gringos"--it forms a large part of national policy. It's easy to see, then, that these returning travelers, full of their gringo notions of social equality, democracy, and now even able to speak the language, might well be seen as a threat to the old "status quo".

Interesting post....

Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,297,320 times
Good post indeed ArizonaBear.

Maybe some Mexicans are petrified indeed, but I'm sure most would like to see our people come back and keep improving the house.

Imagine all those people here investing their knowledge and ideas in the country's economy. Also a huge percentage of people in Mexico is fluent in english, specially young generations who studied in bilingual elementary schools. Mexico's changing too fast these days, we are becoming members of the global community and Democracy has given us hope for a brighter future.

It was hard to live in Mexico before you know? I experienced a lot of hard things while I was a child and a teenager, I remember our economy being shattered because of the presidents we had, how my parents savings became nothing because of hyperinflation and devaluations and how thousands of people lost their houses or cars because they simply couldn't pay their mortgage anymore, I also remember a friend of mine being attacked by an underground gang controlled by the PRI (mexico's party who ruled for 71 years) who gave her a beating for posting advertisements of the PAN's call for a democratic Mexico (another party who fought for democracy since it was born to these days)

the very one party who gave us the guerra sucia (dirty war) who killed thousands of students with tanks and the armyt just because they demanded democracy in 1968 or tribal communities of Mexico's original inhabitants with shotguns and paramilitar groups because they wanted to "develop" Acapulco and Cancun, the onea who banned freedom of speech for entire generations, the ones who let organized crime run the federal police, and a long etcetera.

I remember very well the last economic meltdown we had on 1994, my despair was so great in those times that I thought of immigrating to America, I don't know how or why but at my house I found a book about the process you had to go through to become a legal citizen of the United States of America it had some very food for thought on the real essence of the oath of allegiance and a lot of information about american culture and history, that made the idea stick into my head for some time, all my life I've been an internet junkie so it wasn't that hard to find a job at an american firm. It was an internet carrier called AcNet the president's name was Rae Ashton and he's been one of the greatest Americans I've ever met.

AcNet had a lot of internet nodes in cities of Mexico and Southern Tx, I was working in those days in Monterrey giving tech support to our customers both from Mexico and USA I met Rae because we held a congress in monterrey where all the stockholders were meeting and Eduardo Nava who was my boss asked me if Rae could stay in my house for some days, he did and we became awesome friends, I had been working at AcNet for some months now and I had to leave my home and parents in Mexico city to work at the Monterrey node so, he was like a second father to me, he taught me a strong work ethic and I remember he telling us how he loved mexico and believed in it's economy I guess he did because he invested heavily in our country, after we became friends he started inviting me a lot to go to Mc Allen where we had the Network Operating Center to receive futher training in UNIX, Cisco Routers and Microsoft certifications it was then when I had the chance to Immigrate legally to America, but exactly at that moment my family was suffering a crisis that almost ended in divorce that made me return to Mexico city because I knew they needed me, I kept working @ AcNet Mexico city but I was depressed and demoralized so I was fired because I wasn't caring too much for the job, but the good news is that my family and I stood together and they are still together until these days, it was then that it hit me, I realized how much I loved Mexico and it's people and the urgent need for us to work and pray for it to improve.

and you know what, since these days I've seen how we moved to economic stability, a free trade policy and democratic society, our challenges as a nation are huuuuge and the challenges our nations share are huge too.

but the future is brigher today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or