Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times

Advertisements

BTW, there was an interesting article in the NYTimes by Thomas Friedman, author of The World is Flat, basically explaining how the world has become so digitally connected at every level, that now not just the ''elites'', but everyone can and must compete, connect and collaborate from anywhere.

''In the old days it was assumed that your educational foundation would last your whole lifetime. That is no longer true. Because of the way every industry — from health care to manufacturing to education — is now being transformed by cheap, fast, connected computing power, the skill required for every decent job is rising as is the necessity of lifelong learning. More and more things you know and tools you use are being made obsolete faster. It’s as if every aspect of our lives is now being driven by Moore’s Law. This is exacerbating our unemployment problem. And how to adapt? It will require more individual initiative.''

Which BTW, is exactly the opposite of sitting around, avoiding any further training and simply complaining about the new ''competition''!

friedman-its-pq-and-cq-as-much-as-iq

Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well maybe we'd have a lot less illegal immigration in the first place, and many of those folks wouldn't be out of work, if they were willing to take more of those same jobs now being filled by immigrant labor. Of course it's always so much easier to just blame ''illegals'' and ''furiners'', while collecting the unemployment, SSI, Section 8, and welfare, etc. some folks now feel ''entitled'' to, simply by an accident of birth.

BTW, anyone so obsessed that over half of all their C-D posts are on this one subject, clearly has other issues besides just protecting law-abiding Amurikins (...LOL)! Although thank you for all your hard work ensuring that the GOP ''brand'' remains synonymous with being, um, you-know-what!

Why are you more concerned about non citizens? My wife was being manipulated by her ex husband to look after his best interest instead of mine. This was before I opened her eyes. He did this by being too intrusive in order to maintain a emotional attachment. Once my wife caught on she was really pi$$ed. So in the same sense you are being played by illegals to look after their best interest first.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
BTW, there was an interesting article in the NYTimes by Thomas Friedman, author of The World is Flat, basically explaining how the world has become so digitally connected at every level, that now not just the ''elites'', but everyone can and must compete, connect and collaborate from anywhere.

''In the old days it was assumed that your educational foundation would last your whole lifetime. That is no longer true. Because of the way every industry — from health care to manufacturing to education — is now being transformed by cheap, fast, connected computing power, the skill required for every decent job is rising as is the necessity of lifelong learning. More and more things you know and tools you use are being made obsolete faster. It’s as if every aspect of our lives is now being driven by Moore’s Law. This is exacerbating our unemployment problem. And how to adapt? It will require more individual initiative.''

Which BTW, is exactly the opposite of sitting around, avoiding any further training and simply complaining about the new ''competition''!

Adapt Americans will, they will not stand for illegal immigrants invading this country.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Well maybe we'd have a lot less illegal immigration in the first place, and many of those folks wouldn't be out of work, if they were willing to take more of those same jobs now being filled by immigrant labor. Of course it's always so much easier to just blame ''illegals'' and ''furiners'', while collecting the unemployment, SSI, Section 8, and welfare, etc. some folks now feel ''entitled'' to, simply by an accident of birth.

BTW, anyone so obsessed that over half of all their C-D posts are on this one subject, clearly has other issues besides just protecting law-abiding Amurikins (...LOL)! Although thank you for all your hard work ensuring that the GOP ''brand'' remains synonymous with being, um, you-know-what!
Either you haven't educated yourself about the jobs that Americans have lost to illegal immigrants or you are in denial of it based on whatever your agenda is to demonize the American worker. Americans were doing those jobs before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor. Immigrant labor? No, illegal immigrant labor (against the law). There is a difference you know. Accident of birth? I see, so since America citizens do have certain entitlements by being born here you feel the need to chastize them for that? Don't Mexicans have special rights in Mexico because they were born there? Doesn't Mexico also have immigration laws? I say Mexicans only because they are here by far in the largest number illegally and their ethnic group seems to be mostly the ones complaining about our immigration laws and demanding that we change them for them.

Perhaps it is you who has other issues by defending illegal immigrants while demonizing Americans. Keep party affiliation out of this. There are many Americans who aren't Republicans who want our immigration laws respected and enforced contrary to what the left and ethnocentrics say.

I also take offense that you misspelled Americans on purpose. That is very disrespectul. I also take offense at you hinting that the GOP or most other conservative's motives for wanting our immigration laws respected as being racist.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I see, so American blue collar workers who "enjoy" their jobs such as construction, etc. should retrain themselves for something else to roll over and accomodate illegal immigrants so they can take their jobs and work unlawfully in this country?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
GOP is done for. Not gonna happen. I think 2012 was the last year where they would have had a decent chance of winning the presidency.
Quote:
^ ^ Yup, and 'ya gotta laugh at all the GOP ''think tanks'' frantically running around trying to ''spin'' their ''image''... yet the harder they go ''don't say anti-illegal'', ''don't say anti-illegal'', the more their xenophobic ''base'' does exactly the opposite!
This is a prime example of why the same do-nothing crooks keep getting re-elected. If we focused more on the issues, and actually held our politicians accountable for the mess we're in, rather than playing "my party is better than your party" schoolyard games, perhaps we could actually accomplish something.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, they will not decide it, they drafted the bill, and the Congress and Senate will vote on it. That's how it works. I have not heard illegals say anything about it, so I am not sure what you mean by them advancing anything. GOP is advancing it, because they need their votes.
You obviously haven't visited the Dream Act Portal forum. There, they say plenty. And, they demand to be heard. In fact, they believe they now have clout. Based on the extreme level of pandering, apparently they do.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You obviously haven't visited the Dream Act Portal forum. There, they say plenty. And, they demand to be heard. In fact, they believe they now have clout. Based on the extreme level of pandering, apparently they do.
I get a kick out of these comments that claim that the GOP will gain much more of the Hispanic vote by caving in to an amnesty. I think the left keeps repeating this nonsense because they want the GOP to cave in to them so they get their amnesty by spreading that lie. They know they won't get it without the votes of the GOP in congress to back them up. Hispanics typically vote Democrat because of the other issues also. If the GOP thinks this will help them get the Hispanic vote then they are utter fools.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see, so American blue collar workers who "enjoy" their jobs such as construction, etc. should retrain themselves for something else to roll over and accomodate illegal immigrants so they can take their jobs and work unlawfully in this country?
Nobody's ''defending'' illegal immigration, just because they don't agree with you. And neither am I willing to demonize 'em either, which is what most of these kinda threads usually end up doing. So if that's all folks wanna do is sit around and ''vent'', fine. But meanwhile I'm simply pointing out the obvious, that like it or not, this is merely a symptom of how the world is changing.

So regardless whether employers or employees, construction workers or computer programmers, ship the jobs overseas or ''import'' the workers here... this is the new way of the global economy... that we all have to be competitive and no one is guaranteed or 'entitled' to anything anymore. And as with all change & evolution, the rule has always been the same... to either adapt, or perish. So if you wanna blame ''illegals'' for that, be my guest. But IMO the outcome is still gonna be the same regardless and you might as well be complaining about the weather.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Nobody's ''defending'' illegal immigration, just because they don't agree with you. And neither am I willing to demonize 'em either, which is what most of these kinda threads usually end up doing. So if that's all folks wanna do is sit around and ''vent'', fine. But meanwhile I'm simply pointing out the obvious, that like it or not, this is merely a symptom of how the world is changing.

So regardless whether employers or employees, construction workers or computer programmers, ship the jobs overseas or ''import'' the workers here... this is the new way of the global economy... that we all have to be competitive and no one is guaranteed or 'entitled' to anything anymore. And as with all change & evolution, the rule has always been the same... to either adapt, or perish. So if you wanna blame ''illegals'' for that, be my guest. But IMO the outcome is still gonna be the same regardless and you might as well be complaining about the weather.
How is telling the facts about illegal immigrants/immigration demonizing them unfairly? They do take American jobs, they do take billions from our tax coffers, they do downgrade wages, they either use fake or stolen documents to work here (a felony), or tax evasion by working under the table, they do overcrowd our schools, jails and hospitals, they do create uncontrolled population growth which depletes our national resources and puts added demands on our social resources, many do refuse to learn English. There are some that do commit even more serious crimes also. Those are just the facts!!

You don't want to demonize them but yet you have no problem demonizing the American worker and lawabiding Americans who only want our immigration laws respected and enforced along with the nasty labels of racist and xenophobe? Hypocricy, much?

I see, so Americans should roll over and accept their jobs being outsourced or taken by illegal immigrants because the "world is changing"? What a defeatist attitude. Who's going to pay the taxes in this country if Americans are unemployed because of this nonsense? All the more reason that we should object to illegal immigration is because the jobs they are holding can't be outsourced so what is left in the way of work for Americans? What would there be left to adapt to? Starvation, leave their own country, not being able to support their familes? A two class society of only the rich and the poor while the middle class is erased?

One of our government's obligation is to protect Americans and our borders from illegal foeigners. Should they not be held accountable to that? I asked you about Mexico. They have immigration laws. Why aren't they opening up their borders up to everyone that wants to come there and allowing illegal foreingers to take their citizen's jobs?

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-30-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration