U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post
Now that Vicente Fox and Calderon (new Mex Pres) are "mad" at the Border Wall plan, hopefully they won`t start listening to Chavez. To date, they have been on bad terms (Chavez and Fox), but now political relations between US and Mexico seem to be turning kind of sour.
Since you are there and know more on this, why are they "mad" at the border wall plan?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 PM

989 posts, read 5,328,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Since you are there and know more on this, why are they "mad" at the border wall plan?
Vicente Fox is mad at the wall plan because it will reduce one of Mexico's top incomes. (stated to be in the top five) This income is money transferred from illegals and Mexicans, here in the US, to their families in Mexico.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Vicente Fox is mad at the wall plan because it will reduce one of Mexico's top incomes. (stated to be in the top five) This income is money transferred from illegals and Mexicans, here in the US, to their families in Mexico.
Oh okay, it is a self serving reason for being mad. Figures. Why not let america take the hit.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,920,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post
Now that Vicente Fox and Calderon (new Mex Pres) are "mad" at the Border Wall plan, hopefully they won`t start listening to Chavez. To date, they have been on bad terms (Chavez and Fox), but now political relations between US and Mexico seem to be turning kind of sour.

Can you tell us how bad is the economy in Mejico?

What is the hourly wage?

What are your views on the fence?

Will this be negative for the Gringos that relocated to Mexico?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM

231 posts, read 464,181 times
I`m no economist,I`m not very political-wise either, but I`ve made several posts referring to what I see as a very dire economic situation. I live in the second poorest state in the Republic, and I don`t really know any other states well enough to guess. You`d have to look up the minimum wage laws, but those would only apply to people with legitimate jobs- i`d guess that the majority don`t have these, and most places pay under-the-table anyway.

I am a university professor (EFL) and we do quite well for the area, about $900us/mo, more or less (of course in pesos). My wife is a pre-school teacher, and she makes about $300/month. In Oaxaca City, I only made around $5 hr. Rent is cheap, store bought food is not- depends on what you buy. People think that everything is so cheap here: But I only notice a big difference in low-budget restaurant prices, rents, and souvenirs. Clothes, to me, are pretty cheap too, but then again, luckily I make more than most people around here.
I often wonder what taxi drivers and gas-station attendants make- anywhere between 1 to $3/hour would be my guess. Maybe less, couldn`t be more. But what about farmers? Craft sellers? I don`t know the numbers, but I can see that the economy is real bad.

I think the wall is a waste of time and money, and will just add fuel to the fire. I don`t think it will stop people from trying to get into the US. Some maybe, but most I think will just become more determined. I think it will have a negative impact on American tourists as a whole, and just like Americans can`t tell which Latino is illegal, Mexicans can`t tell which American is a tourist or resident.

Last edited by gringo istmeņo; 10-17-2006 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: forgot an important "don`t"

Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,387,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
This fence idea is a GOP gimmick to satisfy the rednecks who are the GOP's greatest supporters. Duh, of course it wont work - there are many tunnels already in place and theres lots of coastline for boats. There are many studies of illegal immigration, and basically having the immigrants here depending on the study either is a net benefit to the US - in terms of work they do and yes they pay tax when they buy stuff and add to the economy- or a small loss due to healthcare and other benefits.

The most recent study I saw says it costs the US $220 million a year to have them here and process them. Is this whats bothering people? LOL one day in Iraq costs more in money alone not counting the lives. This years congress may have even broken last years for record PORK.

Ive noticed that the people who most worry about the immigrants are those who live on the lowest rung of US society. People who are threatened by mexicans who will work harder. Those people should have gotten an education so theyd be more secure.

In reality are people who want the immigrants out really concerned about the effect on the economy .. or is it just an excuse for racism?
So you are in the elite one percent and need the cheap labor for your company, right? I don't think Lou Dobbs is on the lowest rung of US society. Hmmm. Get an education? I wonder how many American citizens could go to college on the $220 million that is now being spent to house and keep healthy criminals?

The racism theme is tired. Nobody's buying it!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:10 PM

311 posts, read 549,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I wonder how many American citizens could go to college on the $220 million that is now being spent to house and keep healthy criminals?

Good point, Fox Terrier, but unfortunately there are people that love to play that race card, the "only trying to better themselves" card and if that doesn't work they deal another hand. Fact: ILLEGAL!! That still means against the law in my book!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,899,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So you are in the elite one percent and need the cheap labor for your company, right? I don't think Lou Dobbs is on the lowest rung of US society. Hmmm. Get an education? I wonder how many American citizens could go to college on the $220 million that is now being spent to house and keep healthy criminals?

I automatically dismiss people who argue the race card as intellectual failures Fox Terrier. The issue is about illegal migrants, not race, and the U.S. isn't exactly welcoming to illegal migrants who overstep their VISAs from Ireland and other countries either It's a tired argument made to bridge over a lack of intelligent rebuttal and silence the other party... And... you're right, no one buys it! Instead we look at the idiot who plays it and pity his or her lack of cranial resources.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,970 times
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum sorry my first post is here. But living in OC for the past 40 years, I can't resist.

Should we build a fence? Hmmmmm. NO.
Why waist the money? There is a way around every obstacle, what makes you think this fence will make a differance?
To all mexicans...
"Latinos", (or what ever you are calling yourselves today) you need to take the resources and energy you are wasting in my country protesting and waving a mexican flag and direct it towards Mexico City where the real corruption is. Change YOUR country if it is so bad, not OUR's. You have vast resources in your country that would bring you out of third world status if you would only stop emulating locusts. Clean up your own backyard first and I guarantee you we as "Americans" will embrace you at the border rather than shoot at you. If you are legally here, welcome. If not, please do your protesting in mexico.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM

231 posts, read 464,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campi54 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum sorry my first post is here. But living in OC for the past 40 years, I can't resist.

Should we build a fence? Hmmmmm. NO.
Why waist the money? There is a way around every obstacle, what makes you think this fence will make a differance?
To all mexicans...
"Latinos", (or what ever you are calling yourselves today) you need to take the resources and energy you are wasting in my country protesting and waving a mexican flag and direct it towards Mexico City where the real corruption is. Change YOUR country if it is so bad, not OUR's. You have vast resources in your country that would bring you out of third world status if you would only stop emulating locusts. Clean up your own backyard first and I guarantee you we as "Americans" will embrace you at the border rather than shoot at you. If you are legally here, welcome. If not, please do your protesting in mexico.
That is a really kind and sweet guarantee you make there. And what does that mean anyway?- "we will embrace you at the border". Give me a break- they`re not looking for hugs."To all Mexicans, or Latinos or whatever you call yourselves...." the two posts before were addressing racism- well, that is what I worry about when I refer to racism in this issue- She doesn`t say: "to all illegals"- no, but "to all Mexicans", "all Latinos". THAT is the problem, and that is where racism comes into play- generalizing every Latino person, and labeling them an illegal, or a potential illegal. Can you enlighten us as to the resources that Mexico has to bring them out of 3rd world status? Cuz trust me, they`d like to know. Actually, everybody would- why are you keeping it a secret? Hey everybody! Campi54 knows how to do away with corruption and poverty in Mexico! And you are mistaken if you think American government and politicians are not corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or