U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,640,979 times
Reputation: 919

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I would love the fence above but what are the odds of that happening?
I know but I can dream right?

 
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Reputation: 2086
In my dream there is a moat with hungry alligators in it!!!!!
 
Old 10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
 
9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
Reputation: 3315
To me, this is a total waste of money. We should be spending the money on other things.

HOWEVER, I think this was an election year political ploy. Now all the politicians can say "We're doing something about illegal immigration." They could make the fence 2000 miles long and it still won't stop the 80% of illegal immigrants who simply come here on tourist visas and don't go home.
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
Reputation: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
To me, this is a total waste of money. We should be spending the money on other things.

HOWEVER, I think this was an election year political ploy. Now all the politicians can say "We're doing something about illegal immigration." They could make the fence 2000 miles long and it still won't stop the 80% of illegal immigrants who simply come here on tourist visas and don't go home.

I agree. The main thing it will do is waste taxpayers money. You'd probably get almost as many illegal crossings with the fence, just more will be getting hurt crossing, with even more heading to American hospitals ER rooms demanding more free services.

They would stop coming if the governments got tougher on employers hiring illegals. Like reversing the law somewhere that forbids asking about residency. Or making it criminal to knowingly hire someone as an employee how can't legally work, just as certain safety and health code violations in the workplace are criminal in many places.

Instead of spending the money on the fence, spend the money on legally persuing these employers with fines or in cases of gross negligence, possible sentencing.
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Rockport
105 posts, read 101,702 times
Reputation: 36
This fence idea is a GOP gimmick to satisfy the rednecks who are the GOP's greatest supporters. Duh, of course it wont work - there are many tunnels already in place and theres lots of coastline for boats. There are many studies of illegal immigration, and basically having the immigrants here depending on the study either is a net benefit to the US - in terms of work they do and yes they pay tax when they buy stuff and add to the economy- or a small loss due to healthcare and other benefits.

The most recent study I saw says it costs the US $220 million a year to have them here and process them. Is this whats bothering people? LOL one day in Iraq costs more in money alone not counting the lives. This years congress may have even broken last years for record PORK.

Ive noticed that the people who most worry about the immigrants are those who live on the lowest rung of US society. People who are threatened by mexicans who will work harder. Those people should have gotten an education so theyd be more secure.

In reality are people who want the immigrants out really concerned about the effect on the economy .. or is it just an excuse for racism?
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
 
311 posts, read 549,391 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
illegal immigrants are causing crime and taking jobs from American citizens. Also, many of them abuse healthcare services and other services, thus increasing the taxpayers' burden. Illegal immigrants are criminals by definition, and should be addressed as such.
Absolutely on the mark, tkx7. I think the word ILLEGAL and criminal should always be used together!
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
This fence idea is a GOP gimmick to satisfy the rednecks who are the GOP's greatest supporters. Duh, of course it wont work - there are many tunnels already in place and theres lots of coastline for boats. There are many studies of illegal immigration, and basically having the immigrants here depending on the study either is a net benefit to the US - in terms of work they do and yes they pay tax when they buy stuff and add to the economy- or a small loss due to healthcare and other benefits.

The most recent study I saw says it costs the US $220 million a year to have them here and process them. Is this whats bothering people? LOL one day in Iraq costs more in money alone not counting the lives. This years congress may have even broken last years for record PORK.

Ive noticed that the people who most worry about the immigrants are those who live on the lowest rung of US society. People who are threatened by mexicans who will work harder. Those people should have gotten an education so theyd be more secure.

In reality are people who want the immigrants out really concerned about the effect on the economy .. or is it just an excuse for racism?


they pay taxes when they buy stuff huh? well that doesnt actually pay for all the free health services they get or schooling or welfare or childcare they get, for that you need to pay federal and state taxes!!! Which they cannot do unless they are legal. I dont care if they are here, but do it legally, learn English instead of expecting me to learn how to speak spanish to have a conversation with you, and pay taxes real ones not food tax!!! Not to mention if they hit you with their car with no license or insurance which actually happened to a friend of mine, costs her alot!!! not just fiancially but physically, or sell drugs or any of the other things they are willing to do to disrespect americans. it isnt racism, this goes for any illegal of any nationality or color, if they wanta better life they need to stay in their own country, be a part of it and make it better instead of expecting a free ride here. My husband works just as hard as they do and we dont even get the benifits they are getting, now that says there is something wrong!!!!
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
 
311 posts, read 549,391 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
This fence idea is a GOP gimmick to satisfy the rednecks who are the GOP's greatest supporters. Duh, of course it wont work - there are many tunnels already in place and theres lots of coastline for boats. There are many studies of illegal immigration, and basically having the immigrants here depending on the study either is a net benefit to the US - in terms of work they do and yes they pay tax when they buy stuff and add to the economy- or a small loss due to healthcare and other benefits.

The most recent study I saw says it costs the US $220 million a year to have them here and process them. Is this whats bothering people? LOL one day in Iraq costs more in money alone not counting the lives. This years congress may have even broken last years for record PORK.

Ive noticed that the people who most worry about the immigrants are those who live on the lowest rung of US society. People who are threatened by mexicans who will work harder. Those people should have gotten an education so theyd be more secure.

In reality are people who want the immigrants out really concerned about the effect on the economy .. or is it just an excuse for racism?

A SMALL loss due to healthcare and other benefits????

What do you consider the "lowest rung of US society" that is worried about the immigrants? The taxpayers who provide them with health care, schools (when we can't build them fast enough) more law enforcement, etc.?? I guess the "lowest rung" also might include people who can't get a job because an ILLEGAL has already filled it. I am worried about people that ILLEGALLY cross the border (that is a criminal act in itself) when a large number are criminals. I worry about the ILLEGALS who come here either to have a child or have many as soon as they possible can once they arrive. Since you did not define "lowest rung" I can only assume you mean uneducated, poor, welfare class or something similar. (And I guess "redneck" if you happen to be Republican!) If that is your definition, then you are definitely wrong. I think quite a large number of people would beg to differ with you.

Why do you equate racism with the desire to protect our country and to take care of the American citizens who live here, the ones who have fought for this country and the ones who have contributed by paying taxes?
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
A SMALL loss due to healthcare and other benefits????

What do you consider the "lowest rung of US society" that is worried about the immigrants? The taxpayers who provide them with health care, schools (when we can't build them fast enough) more law enforcement, etc.?? I guess the "lowest rung" also might include people who can't get a job because an ILLEGAL has already filled it. I am worried about people that ILLEGALLY cross the border (that is a criminal act in itself) when a large number are criminals. I worry about the ILLEGALS who come here either to have a child or have many as soon as they possible can once they arrive. Since you did not define "lowest rung" I can only assume you mean uneducated, poor, welfare class or something similar. (And I guess "redneck" if you happen to be Republican!) If that is your definition, then you are definitely wrong. I think quite a large number of people would beg to differ with you.

Why do you equate racism with the desire to protect our country and to take care of the American citizens who live here, the ones who have fought for this country and the ones who have contributed by paying taxes?
BRAVO!!!!!!!!! This isnt about racism it is about criminals!!!!
 
Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Galveston, Texas
169 posts, read 616,181 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
Why do you equate racism with the desire to protect our country and to take care of the American citizens who live here, the ones who have fought for this country and the ones who have contributed by paying taxes?
Thank you for that. It seems that if anyone speaks up about wanting to preserve this country, we're all dubbed racists from the get-go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top