U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,923,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
People who are threatened by mexicans who will work harder. Those people should have gotten an education so theyd be more secure.
There are more jobs available in most countries, including the U.S.A. that require few skills to no previous skills or training. Therefore most of the jobs in the U.S. can be threatened by illegal immigrants. I will agree there are many jobs that require English, but those could be filled by illegal Canadian, British, Australian etc. immigrants.

Better education would not protect most of those jobs. Why? Imagine if every American had successfully completed at least one university degree. Lets say as an example, there are now 10 million more people trained to be medical doctors in the U.S. Do you think there would be enough open positions to accept all these new American doctors? If 100 million more Americans had degrees of some kind do you think that there would even be a need for even 1/10th of them? Sure they still might secure employment, but unless a lot of them left the U.S., many would probably only find jobs that don't require that kind of education. Do you think employers could afford to pay their employees more if they all had degrees?

I do agree there is need in the U.S. for some highly trained professionals. That's part of what NAFTA is about. But I doubt that there is a need for more than 10 million more, while there is probably close to 100 million Americans without any post-secondary education or degrees.

So if what I mentioned is correct, then there still quite a few Americans, statistically speaking, who would be "left out" regardless of their level of education. That would leave many smart, highly educated Americans who still were unfortately working those same jobs the illegal immigrants are competing for. In Canada since the 1970's we've had "legacy" of plenty of highly skilled and under-employed citizens. This could happen in the U.S. too. I think the governments should protect and favor unfortunate Americans instead of illegal immigrants.

Are against this too fish2026?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Did someone else mentioned that illegals pay sales taxes so they should be welcomed and entiteled to some of the benefits of those taxes?

Tourists pay those taxes too! Over the past 20 years, my family has probably spent thousands in the U.S. on sales, lodging, tolls and gasoline taxes on our vacations. We don't believe this entitles us to any of those benefits, perhaps aside from being able to drive on roads and highways in reasonable condition.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,702,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Did someone else mentioned that illegals pay sales taxes so they should be welcomed and entiteled to some of the benefits of those taxes?

Tourists pay those taxes too! Over the past 20 years, my family has probably spent thousands in the U.S. on sales, lodging, tolls and gasoline taxes on our vacations. We don't believe this entitles us to any of those benefits, perhaps aside from being able to drive on roads and highways in reasonable condition.

yes fish said that ,the same one that you were talking to above, I said the same thing you did, that you need to pay state and fed tax to really make a difference

Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
yes fish said that ,the same one that you were talking to above, I said the same thing you did, that you need to pay state and fed tax to really make a difference
That's funny! So are tourists also entitled to government benefits like food stamps or pension cheques? I'm sure a few Canadians would stay a little longer if they did. (kidding of course)

Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM

15,101 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Do you think building a fence on the Mexico border is a good idea?
No. It is a terrible, impractical idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
will it reduce illegal immigrants?
Not really.

Building a wall to keep out "invaders" has never worked in all of human history. Not once.

Building such a wall between the US in Mexico would cost untold billions, perhaps even trillions, to build. Then you've got the millions to maintain and police it. It isn't worth the expense.

We could fix the entire problem by prosecuting businesses who knowingly employ illegal aliens. This will not only cost a FRACTION of the amount, but it will be a thousand times more effective.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM

with businesses you have to be in the right place at the right time, if they are knowingly hiring illegals that tells me they have ways of hiding it, cash and other ways, it could take along time to really make an impact with illegals by just going after the companies, it has to be a dual answer, and fences will work if you build them correctly and use more than one security feature.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,912 times
The companies that hire large amounts of illegal aliens are huge, they would tie the government up with legal issues forever. Mexico won't take them back, so we put them in jail at the cost of over 25,000 a year and then what to we do with the children that are American citizens, and while we are at it lets not forget the millions of other illegals from other countries. We got our self a mess. We can't even keep illegal drugs from coming in. The fence all along the border is only a start.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM

We need to come at this from all sides, I feel bad fo the kids, But it is still no excuse for the parents to get away with it. There are huge companies that hire mass amounts as well as private individuals hiring them to clean house, they should be fined as well. Thereare small construction companies that hire them without thinking twice. My husband was a framer for twenty years, had to find another line of work, couldnt compare to the cheap illegal framers, so it wasnt him no twanting to work but couldnt get the work because of them.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,951,402 times
Quote:
We could fix the entire problem by prosecuting businesses who knowingly employ illegal aliens. This will not only cost a FRACTION of the amount, but it will be a thousand times more effective.
This is the real solution. Instead of a $10,000 fine, the government should make it a $100,000 fine. The law needs to have some teeth in it. A $10K fine is peanuts to a big company. How much was Wal-Mart fined for hiring all those illegal cleaning people?

Also, jailing the illegals would never work because it would cost too much -- but what would happen if we jailed their employers? Hmmm.... Companies might think twice before hiring an illegal to do any work.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:21 PM

you do realize how long this would take right? It will be a hunt them down and have to catch them, take a longtime!!!! And alot of legal fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or