U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM

431 posts, read 292,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Do you think building a fence on the Mexico border is a good idea? will it reduce illegal immigrants? How will this affect the US? Will it help control the US population? Share and discuss your thoughts on the issue.

Yes, build the wall. Build it high, make it thick, root it deep, top it with razor wire, surround it with swamps filled with gators and snakes, and have motion detectors that sense approach and sets off alarms, bells and whistles and sirens at a deafening pitch!

Then get to work on the remaining 1300 miles....

The birth rate will drop DRASTICALLY! Healthcare costs will drop DRASTICALLY! Gangs will have fewer new members. Crime will decrease. Jail population will stop rising. And on and on and on. And yes, I'm happy to pay more for lettuce and strawberries and lawn care.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,785,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
...And yes, I'm happy to pay more for lettuce and strawberries and lawn care.
Hahaha, I'm totally with you on that...

Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 PM

327 posts, read 173,390 times
I don't know about you guys, but I would hate to be President...regardless of my views...here's an example:

Yawn. What a beautiful morning! Let me have a bowl of my post toasties that I'm sure several people have peed in because of yesterday's decisions. Immediately following breakfast, which of my priorities shall I address first...or, in other words, which groups of people shall I infuriate today, no matter what I do, say or even think?

Yes, I think Lannie is correct and I agree. The problem is, why wasn't this brought up decades ago? Why is it that everything that people don't agree with is Bush's fault? I would understand that if he were our first president...

Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 PM

211 posts, read 219,089 times
A wall will do nothing as long as we continue to not fine employers who hire illegal aliens and as long as our government willingly hands out free welfare and health care to illegals.

End the birth rate as people are coming here and pumping out 2,3,4 kids on the American taxpayer's dollar (while we all pay thousands for health care) and burdening our school system.

Fine employers heavily who hire illegals.

Create a guest worker program with no path to citizenship but allows migrants to stay in the country indefinitely as they work. Any child born is not an American citizen.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,589,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
A wall will do nothing as long as we continue to not fine employers who hire illegal aliens and as long as our government willingly hands out free welfare and health care to illegals.

End the birth rate as people are coming here and pumping out 2,3,4 kids on the American taxpayer's dollar (while we all pay thousands for health care) and burdening our school system.

Create a guest worker program with no path to citizenship but allows migrants to stay in the country indefinitely as they work. Any child born is not an American citizen.
I agree with almost everything you say except the last...I think anyone who has come here illegally should be deported. They've already broken the law by coming here and continue breaking the law by being here. And that's only the beginning.....now if you would say "create a guest worker program with no path to citizenship but allows a migrant to enter the country and stay indefinitely...", I could agree. Wonder if we could start a petition that would be acknowledged since we're now Times' PERSONS OF THE YEAR.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 PM

327 posts, read 173,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post

I agree, but why haven't we tried to nip this in the bud decades ago? I guess it's just one more thing to blame on President Bush.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I agree, but why haven't we tried to nip this in the bud decades ago? I guess it's just one more thing to blame on President Bush.
We did in the 80s but the solutions and laws they enacted were ignored and nothing was changed.

And, under Clinton the problem got worse -- but nothing compared to the flood of illegals under Emperor Bush.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:18 PM

597 posts, read 1,785,841 times
Why not stop all legal and illegal immigration indefinitely until we can get some of these issues addressed? I think our policies need a serious rethinking, particulary when we're not very picky about who emigrates to this country legally (hundreds of thousands), not even counting the millions of poor illegals. Nearly every other country (non-western) has particular criteria before you can become a citizen, like a certain amount of net worth (Belize I believe requires you to have $50,000) and so forth. Why do we allow people to come to this country if they have no particular skills? Shouldn't we be more interested in highly skilled immigrants who can contribute a bigger chunk to our economy? Also, for all those that argue that illegals are so critical to our economy, consider this: as a group, Mexican-Americans send back an estimated $35 billion dollars a year--straight out of our economy and into Mexico. I'm not an economist, but that seems like a big hit to the American economy. This is Mexico's 2nd largest foreign investment and therefore that government will NEVER protect our interests and will continue to allow people to flood over and in fact they encourage it. Yes, we need to seriously rethink our TOTAL immigration policy, not just the border alone. Do we need to be a country of 400 million as they are projecting in 20 years--why? Do we need more people in this country? Do we need more traffic? I don't think so, I think we should put a moratorium on all immigration and stop it for a period of time until we can come up with a new policy and only get the best applicants from other nations. Lets start being a little more exclusive in who we bring to this country...

Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM

The United States pushes away intelligent and educated for those that are uneducated and will most likely become drains on the system. Even more sad is that immigrants, legal and illegal, are eligible for all kinds of welfare handouts.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,846,862 times
You folks don't understand these are human beings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or