U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Do you think building a fence on the Mexico border is a good idea? will it reduce illegal immigrants? How will this affect the US? Will it help control the US population? Share and discuss your thoughts on the issue.
Building a fence on the Mexican border will only make them better climbers.

If the country really wants them to stop there has to be a serious penalty once they get here. Otherwise, there is no point in talking about it anymore.

-TT

Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
-TT
I can clearly understand you are not an expert coyote. They don't climb the fences. If you want me to retrieve a photo of the border fence I shall. You've been watchin' to many old-school photos of illegal immigrants with the 80's mullet, hopping the former pathetic fences on major News Networks.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 PM

752 posts, read 594,054 times
Quote:

If the country really wants them to stop there has to be a serious penalty once they get here. Otherwise, there is no point in talking about it anymore.

-TT
Even if the border fence doesn't stop the illegals, it *will* make it harder for them to cross. The harder it is to cross, the more expensive a venture it becomes.

As long as the fence makes the Coyote's rates beyond the means of most migrants, it will have done its job.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I can clearly understand you are not an expert coyote. They don't climb the fences. If you want me to retrieve a photo of the border fence I shall. You've been watchin' to many old-school photos of illegal immigrants with the 80's mullet, hopping the former pathetic fences on major News Networks.
No I know they don't climb, lol. Sadly, in most cases they just "double-time" it across the border with nothing at all in their way. It's not that big a deal.

Just making a little joke, that's all.

My idea? Put in a mine field. Death is a hell of a deterrent.

-TT

Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
No I know they don't climb, lol. Sadly, in most cases they just "double-time" it across the border with nothing at all in their way. It's not that big a deal.

-TT
I knew you were brighter than that!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 PM

354 posts, read 761,894 times
Nea1, you've summed up the argument about employing illegal aliens yourself: your son was offered the job at McDonalds, but turned it down.

Anyways, here's some food for thought and I would thoroughly enjoy some feedback on these ideas.

From early 20th century onward, the U.S. has held a primary role in the development or lack thereof in Latin America. Teddy Roosevelt thought it important to relieve the Yellow fever outbreak in Panama while constructing the Canal, and Wilson thought it important to intervene in conflicts in Mexico, Haiti, Cuba, Panama, and Nicaragua. It was always in the best interest of the States, especially for security, to have an indirect (or sometimes very direct, see Bryan-Chamorro Act) involvement in Latin American affairs to prevent unfavorable world power (Germany, Russia, Japan, etc) occupations or unstable revolutions in struggling countries. Case in point: Bay of Pigs and subsequent Cuban Missle Crisis. Had America not intervened so so many times in the selection of Latin American leaders would we be in the dire situation we are today? Nobody can know for certain.

As many posters have declared, the U.S. spends/loses billions of dollars each year due to illegal immigration. However, if the U.S. were magically relieved of this responsibility and the Great Wall of America were highly efficient, what would happen in Mexico? How would their unstable and corrupt government evolve to adjust a problem now solely their own? Its almost inevitable that a revolution would occur, but would the American government intervene once again lest a communist regime take hold? The only logical solution would be for the U.S. to send aid to strengthen the economy and state of the government to prevent an unfavorable revolution/takeover. How much aid would it take? You guessed it, billions.

What is the tradeoff? Having fewer non-English speaking people, fewer "societal ills" to drive without insurance, and STILL providing billions in aid? You tell me.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:

-TT

A land-mine is a perfect soldier: "Ever courageous, never sleeps, never misses."

Last edited by Jim280; 01-31-2007 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Nea1, you've summed up the argument about employing illegal aliens yourself: your son was offered the job at McDonalds, but turned it down.

Anyways, here's some food for thought and I would thoroughly enjoy some feedback on these ideas.

From early 20th century onward, the U.S. has held a primary role in the development or lack thereof in Latin America. Teddy Roosevelt thought it important to relieve the Yellow fever outbreak in Panama while constructing the Canal, and Wilson thought it important to intervene in conflicts in Mexico, Haiti, Cuba, Panama, and Nicaragua. It was always in the best interest of the States, especially for security, to have an indirect (or sometimes very direct, see Bryan-Chamorro Act) involvement in Latin American affairs to prevent unfavorable world power (Germany, Russia, Japan, etc) occupations or unstable revolutions in struggling countries. Case in point: Bay of Pigs and subsequent Cuban Missle Crisis. Had America not intervened so so many times in the selection of Latin American leaders would we be in the dire situation we are today? Nobody can know for certain.

As many posters have declared, the U.S. spends/loses billions of dollars each year due to illegal immigration. However, if the U.S. were magically relieved of this responsibility and the Great Wall of America were highly efficient, what would happen in Mexico? How would their unstable and corrupt government evolve to adjust a problem now solely their own? Its almost inevitable that a revolution would occur, but would the American government intervene once again lest a communist regime take hold? The only logical solution would be for the U.S. to send aid to strengthen the economy and state of the government to prevent an unfavorable revolution/takeover. How much aid would it take? You guessed it, billions.

What is the tradeoff? Having fewer non-English speaking people, fewer "societal ills" to drive without insurance, and STILL providing billions in aid? You tell me.

He wasnt offered a job at mcdonalds,he applied there and he was turned down guess I should have been more clear. If he was ever offered a job there now, he would turn it down, purely on principal. he needed a job and hates Mcdonalds, didnt want to work there, but applied anyway, he needed the work. So no I didnt sum it up, my point was some people will work a job even if they hate it because they need to.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 PM

18 posts, read 55,489 times
Quote:

What is the tradeoff? Having fewer non-English speaking people, fewer "societal ills" to drive without insurance, and STILL providing billions in aid? You tell me

Send aid to whom? Maybe like the food for oil in Iraq? You know as well as the rest of the world that if you sent aid to Mexico some politicians there would be alot richer and the people just as poor and hungry. Maybe once they cant get into USA illeagally anymore the people in Mexico must just elect someone that will lead them they way he/she should be. Or is that my childrens problem?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:41 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times
Quote:

-TT
Put pork fat on the wall. Make it slippery. Then dig a moat past the wall. Then after that put lions.

Something will make them change there minds. And if those don't. Put a sign that says you must speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or