U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,568,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I don`t understand what you trying to say,
But,

Assimulation is in the US Immigration Laws. In reference to Language, Laws and Culture.
To be honest with you, did I have to look THAT word up, because I didn't really know what it meant
So, I thought that other people might not know either....
Sorry, I am still learning some words in the english language...

Last edited by MB2; 05-19-2007 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: phrase of word

Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Default Broken Border, No Laws Can be Changed

[LEFT]The illegal immigration in the southern part of the country has been a problem for decades. Many people believed that it is because of the lack of security at the border and others people blame the problem with the immigration laws. The only solution to this problem is not to change the laws but secure the board. The laws can not be changed because if the United States make it easier to get into the United States, we will have a mass immigration to the United States. Also, many of the immigrants will try and take advantage of the new laws. There is also, a huge back up in the process of becoming a legal United States citizen or getting a green card. There are many holes in every plan to change the laws in immigration. President Bush's plan to make a co-op working program could take away jobs from American citizens. The poverty that is in Mexico could creep it's way into the United States. This takes away the natural born right of Americans and gives them to a immigrant. The problem needs to be stop at the source, which is the boarder. The immigrants would take the hard way, but legal way to gain citizenship. The promise of the American dream and the freedom and rights that the United States entail would that be good enough to wait for. The United States should not be giving out the American dream. Instead the immigrants should work for their right to have a part of in. The laws we have right now do enforce that. [/LEFT]

Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,897,953 times
I think a nice fence with a guard tower every 300 to 500 meters would work nicely. Have a mine field 2oo yards deep into us soil. To man the towers we can bring our troops home from Korea and Germany. That would pretty much slow the flow to a trickle.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,008,259 times
I thought there was also talk of the air force using part of the border somewhere down in Texas as a bombing range as well.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 PM

11,404 posts, read 16,018,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think a nice fence with a guard tower every 300 to 500 meters would work nicely. Have a mine field 2oo yards deep into us soil. To man the towers we can bring our troops home from Korea and Germany. That would pretty much slow the flow to a trickle.
I sure do love the idea of an American Iron Curtain. What a way to make Americans proud, eh? Morals apparently have no bearing.

I'm all for securing borders, but I don't think a fence is the most economical or feasible way of doing it. As the world population grows 3 billion people in the next 45 years, mostly in the Global South, and no fence is going to stop immigration. Fix some of the problems in Mexico and Central America and it would be much more cost-effective than a wall that will cost taxpayers billions of dollars to build and then staff, do damage to the environmental areas (specifically along the Rio Grande), and can be bypassed by plane or boat.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,008,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I sure do love the idea of an American Iron Curtain. What a way to make Americans proud, eh? Morals apparently have no bearing.

I'm all for securing borders, but I don't think a fence is the most economical or feasible way of doing it. As the world population grows 3 billion people in the next 45 years, mostly in the Global South, and no fence is going to stop immigration. Fix some of the problems in Mexico and Central America and it would be much more cost-effective than a wall that will cost taxpayers billions of dollars to build and then staff, do damage to the environmental areas (specifically along the Rio Grande), and can be bypassed by plane or boat.
No fence alone will stop the criminals from getting in. Even border patrol agents that are interviewed say the fence isn't designed to stop the illegals, but it is designed to slow them down long enough for the border patrol to nab them.

You have to remember, a fence is just part of what we need. Which is comprehensive border/immigration control. Including the new triple layer fence that's been proven to be so successful stretched across the entire southern border, the US military on the border, and workplace enforcement. Also we need to conduct household raids, seize assets, end anchor baby citizenship's through the proper interpretation of the 14TH Amendment, and utilize tent city jails to clean up the infestations.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Do you think building a fence on the Mexico border is a good idea? will it reduce illegal immigrants? How will this affect the US? Will it help control the US population? Share and discuss your thoughts on the issue.
Hmmm. Let's see. We do put fences around our prisons so they must have some impact. It's a start. Add to that enforcement of our laws, more patrol agents, heavy penalties against employers that hire illegals, the abolishment of sanctuary cities and giving out drivers licenses, benefits and routine healthcare and we've got the ball rolling.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
No fence alone will stop the criminals from getting in. Even border patrol agents that are interviewed say the fence isn't designed to stop the illegals, but it is designed to slow them down long enough for the border patrol to nab them.

You have to remember, a fence is just part of what we need. Which is comprehensive border/immigration control. Including the new triple layer fence that's been proven to be so successful stretched across the entire southern border, the US military on the border, and workplace enforcement. Also we need to conduct household raids, seize assets, end anchor baby citizenship's through the proper interpretation of the 14TH Amendment, and utilize tent city jails to clean up the infestations.
Now why can Washington think like this???? Hawkeye for President!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM

12,945 posts, read 24,083,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Boy this question sounds like bait, but I'll bite.

Yes, build a fence, wall, moat. Anything to help keep illegals on the legal side.

Moat and fill it with gators

Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM

68 posts, read 54,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Do you think building a fence on the Mexico border is a good idea? will it reduce illegal immigrants? How will this affect the US? Will it help control the US population? Share and discuss your thoughts on the issue.
Forget a fence, I'd like to see the construction of an east-west iron curtain, equipped with army watch towers every mile or so, and a few thousand ARMED guards to keep the illegals out.

Policy = if it moves, shoot first, ask questions later. It's the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or