U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,972,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Again, no there are not for christ sake. Not in my newspaper. I am well informed of what is going on in the world today, more than a lot teenager know.
I think you are very intelligent and well-spoken, not only for a teenager but for anyone in general and I commend you for coming on this forum to share your opinion. It's all good.

However, I would ask that you rely on other sources than your newspaper and local/national tv. There are a lot of informative sources out there on the Internet that provide facts and figures, not hate.

You are an intelligent young man and I'm confident that you can figure things out for yourself, regardless of your final decision.

The following comment will sound similar to something our good friend Travelling fella would say (and that's not a bad thing at all).

"Knowledge and light!"

Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The "articles" are there PL -

I guarantee you there are many articles about illegal immigration and the problems with illegal immigrants in the very areas you mention -

GUARANTEED
Your right, there was one. Only it was about more and more hispanic immigrants speaking English.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM

17,286 posts, read 25,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The "articles" are there PL -

I guarantee you there are many articles about illegal immigration and the problems with illegal immigrants in the very areas you mention -

GUARANTEED
Unfortunately, areas with a lot of illegal immigration often are filled with "sympathetic" articles on illegal immigration (or, excuse me, merely "immigration," as "illegal immigration" is taboo to say).

Recently the Palm Beach Post did a series on the "changing" neighborhoods of Lake Worth, Florida, which used to be a nice middle class suburb. Now, it's basically Guatemala City. A couple of sentences were spent detailing how one old woman who lived there for decades recently had her garage graffitied (something that never happened before), but most of the series dealt with heart warming stories of the new rainbow of children in the local schools, and the quaint vision of "the many new Guatemalan women pushing baby carriages down the street."

The problem is, however, that a cursory glance at the "crime" section will paint a much different story of what's going on in Lake Worth than what the article actually MEANT to deal with "how immigration has changed Lake Worth" :

- Guatemalan laborers routinely jacked at gunpoint and given the nickname of "walking ATMS"
- MS13 Gang activity
- Haitian gang members killing each other in the streets
- The rampant HIV contraction rate amongst illegal migrant workers who, due to a lack of women, all have sex with the same HIV infected illegal prostitutes/sex workers in the same brothels in the same area
- The fleeing of middle class families from Lake Worth

All of this is glossed over when you read or hear a lot of mainstream stories about "illegal immigration." BUT, the information is out there.... hidden between the lines in other parts of the newspaper!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM

385 posts, read 1,401,629 times
I am sorry if in this long thread this was mentioned already but we had a big border issue meeting down here in El Paso last week. Mayors from Texas towns along the border. One of them suggested dreging the Rio Grande to make it deeper and build up the levees on either side and then have boats patrol it. I don't now how effective that would be but I really like the idea of giving the Rio Grande (Rio Bravo) some of its former grandeur and not cut to shreds in parts by a wall. Also, we need the levees raised as a year ago our city nearly drown from the monsoons and it actually overflowed it banks in certain places. Not as nutty an idea as it seems at first glance.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
I think in this case we can sacrifice scenery for border security. Soldiers standing in guard towers armed with search lights and 50 cals would be a mighty good first step.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 PM

23 posts, read 83,868 times
Build it!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,702,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
So was "The Press Enterprise" (Riverside Ca.)
Add the Los Angeles Slimes (Times) to that list as well.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,702,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Again, no there are not for christ sake. Not in my newspaper. I am well informed of what is going on in the world today, more than a lot teenager know.
Go online and google "illegal immigration." You'll find more articles than you can possibly read in a year.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Yac

5,881 posts, read 6,309,460 times
This thread has lived long enough, you guys are going in circles. Ugly circles.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or