U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 AM

422 posts, read 1,722,041 times

Advertisements

I agree with you marks, Mexico needs to get its act together

Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 PM

231 posts, read 463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't have a brown face and it still wouldn't be okay for me to be illegal.
I think when noljos said that about it being ok, he meant ok by other people.

I remember two or three people posted to you, ColdCanadian, on the California immigration thread once, and they said something along the lines of "come on over CC- everyone else is doing it" and such. I found it "humorous" that to you, people on these forums practically invited you to come down illegally (I know it was in jest). If a Mexican wrote, even in jest, "Yeah, I might come up anyways" those same people would have flipped their lids and not have responded so kindly. (if you don`t remember, I`m going to find those posts)

Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
I read an article that said the most common way illegal immigrants get here is that they drive here. That's right. They drive across the border. Many come with day "shopping passes" that allow them to drive over here. We could build a million miles of fence and these people would still come here.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
If peple would just do it legally i wouldnt care, show some respect, dont expect me to have to learn a different language to communicate with you, pay all your taxes, get a drivers license, insurance, be a positive member of society I dont care who you are, I would welcome you, latino, canadian, arab, french, chinese, ( could go on but I would be here all day!) all of them. Stop giving out shopping passes ( which to me is just stupid). BTW I am only asking this because I dont know, what does Mexico or Canada do if they find people living there illegally? Let them stay?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM

I found this about Mexicos Illegal Immigrant policy alot tougher than ours:

For example, according to an official translation published by the Organization of American States, the Mexican constitution includes the following restrictions:

* Pursuant to Article 33, "Foreigners may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country." This ban applies, among other things, to participation in demonstrations and the expression of opinions in public about domestic politics like those much in evidence in Los Angeles, New York and elsewhere in recent days.

* Equal employment rights are denied to immigrants, even legal ones. Article 32: "Mexicans shall have priority over foreigners under equality of circumstances for all classes of concessions and for all employment, positions, or commissions of the Government in which the status of citizenship is not indispensable."

* Jobs for which Mexican citizenship is considered "indispensable" include, pursuant to Article 32, bans on foreigners, immigrants, and even naturalized citizens of Mexico serving as military officers, Mexican-flagged ship and airline crew, and chiefs of seaports and airports.

* Article 55 denies immigrants the right to become federal lawmakers. A Mexican congressman or senator must be "a Mexican citizen by birth." Article 91 further stipulates that immigrants may never aspire to become cabinet officers as they are required to be Mexican by birth. Article 95 says the same about Supreme Court justices.

In accordance with Article 130, immigrants - even legal ones - may not become members of the clergy, either.

* Foreigners, to say nothing of illegal immigrants, are denied fundamental property rights. For example, Article 27 states, "Only Mexicans by birth or naturalization and Mexican companies have the right to acquire ownership of lands, waters, and their appurtenances, or to obtain concessions for the exploitation of mines or of waters."

* Article 11 guarantees federal protection against "undesirable aliens resident in the country." What is more, private individuals are authorized to make citizen's arrests. Article 16 states, "In cases of flagrante delicto, any person may arrest the offender and his accomplices, turning them over without delay to the nearest authorities." In other words, Mexico grants its citizens the right to arrest illegal aliens and hand them over to police for prosecution. Imagine the Minutemen exercising such a right!

* The Mexican constitution states that foreigners - not just illegal immigrants - may be expelled for any reason and without due process. According to Article 33, "the Federal Executive shall have the exclusive power to compel any foreigner whose remaining he may deem inexpedient to abandon the national territory immediately and without the necessity of previous legal action."

Old 10-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Default don`t worry Mex, I`ll always have your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I agree with you marks, Mexico needs to get its act together
But what about the US? Is everything fine and dandy up there? Does the US really have its act together? Mexico has tons of problems, but the US has more than its fair share too. And you really can`t blame Mexico for the problems in the US.

And they are very distinct problems- you see, Mexico doesn`t have an illegal immigration problem- all the illegals that come from their southern border are just passing through on their way to the US- so you should be thankful when central/southern Americans are deported from Mex. And nobody really pays attention to the illegal Americans, Canadians, Europeans- as far as I`ve seen (6 years down here- legally)
I knew a crazy German guy (crazy isn`t a nice word, but it applies) who was reported to immgration, and for some reason, they could not deport him to Germany. He was a house-squatter- they couldn`t even get him evicted! I never understood why they couldn`t get rid of this guy, and I left Oaxaca City before he did- no idea what became of him, but he was bad off.
I know lots of people who simply drive to Guatemala, or Tijuana, and get there tourist visa renewed, easy as that- a day trip.
On the other hand, these people aren`t reaping social benefits- not many to reap.

How about violent street gangs- that is an unfortunate phenom, made in America, and exported throughout the Latin America. There are crazy drug cartels and violence here too- but mostly up by the US border- I`m not convinced that is a coincidence. Not much goes on in southern Mex as far as gangs, or drug violence for that matter- not like in the states. I haven`t seen one cholo in Huatulco, the town where I live. There is graffitti (another lovely American export), but around here, it`s not gang related. Mostly skaters and dumb sweethearts, grafitti artists, but not gangsters.

I`m rambling- I just don`t like to hear people tell Mexico to get it`s act together, when there are just as many unresolved problems where they live. That would be like a failing student telling another student to study more.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM

I personally think we should follow Mexicos example above and instantly deport them when caught and have some of the rules they do, being from Mexico you agree with their practices I see, so obviously you cant agrue with us deporting people that come here illegally fom mexico and elsewhere. And no I dont blame Mexico for our problems, I blame us for being to NICE.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:54 PM

I`m from Eureka California! And I`m all about deportation of illegals, but we all know that is not enough- I think the best focus would be on nailing the rich businesses that offer jobs to immigrants. Without the jobs, they wouldn`t sneak in- why would they?

You`re right about the US being too nice- How about that law "anybody born on US soil is autonmatically a citizen"- that is ridiculous. We don`t come from a place, we come from our parents, so we should share our parents` nationalities.
My son was born in Mexico, but his mom is Mexican, so he is Mexican. His dad (me) is an American, so he is ALSO an American! (first thing I did was register him and got his US passport). He is only Mexican because his mom is, not because he was born here.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:58 PM

When my son turns 18, he`ll have to choice between being a Mexican or American. Mexico allows dual-nationalities, America does not. (if anyone cares!)

Old 10-05-2006, 04:08 PM

I think the born in america and you are an american has it's problems for sure, illegals can come here and have kids, knowing that alot of people would have issues sending the parents back without the kids. So your son is a mexican-american, should give people something to think about. it is all about being PC, if two illegals come here and have a child, should that child be called an american and used as a crutch by the parents? But what if one parent is an american, what then? I dont know an answer that would be pleasing to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or