Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 03:55 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I dont want to sound too ignorant here, but for the better part of my life I always thought/assumed there was already a fence on the Mexican border. Living the furthest away from the border makes you unaware of the situation. In the past years, I have begun to notice differences like how signs, instructions and documents are in both English and Spanish. The TV channel featuring a spanish network was introduced. Putting your TV into SAP mode is available. It is difficult to communicate with employees at certain fast food restaurants and other places. Our culture is changing. I have noticed these changes only within the past 10 years.

Why is the US government so reluctant to take action against illegal immigration?
They dont do anything because it isnt politically correct to do what needs to be done, kick them out and arrest and fine buisnesses that hire them.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Why is the US government so reluctant to take action against illegal immigration?
Go back and read my post in this thread. Also, this thread and others on this issue have answered this question.

alexander59 said, "They may be forced to leave but Mexico is saying they will not take them back."

And who is Mexico? the country that allows their people to depart like the Exodus, has a corrupt government, is a passage way for drug runners into our country, refuses to do anything about their economy, can't provide for their people, and their trying to tell us they wont take them back?! Oh, Please!!

Old 10-06-2006, 04:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Good clarification Ponderosa. Illegal migration would basically come to a standstill if we prosecuted the businesses that hire them. A physical wall, contrary to some postings that state otherwise here, works. The 14 mile wall built in the 1990's caused Tijuana to stop being a crossing point, the Mexican migrants had to learn to cross in the desert as they couldn't get through the wall. Walls work. We need to build the wall and we need to make employment of illegals impossible. We also need to have hospitals and public services have a method through the U.S. government to reclaim expenses caused by having to serve illegal migrants who don't pay. We need to stop accepting illegal migrants in our schools, and we need to allow local authorities to deport them as they find them. Once they can't get employed and there's a physical barrier, they will be forced to leave. Doing nothing and poo-poohing a fence as unworkable despite glaring evidence to the contrary is foolish.
Good post, MoMark.
Along with building the wall, we also need to protect it. We need to allow border patrol to do it's job and we need to bring our soliders home from Iraq and let them help protect our borders. My grandfather was a member of the National Guard and before WW1 that's what he did. Fighting in Iraq isn't making us safer. We need to build a strong homefront.
We all need to come together-as we did in the 60s--and demand our government listen to us. I don't know about you, but I love America too much to just give in without a fight.

Last edited by grammy164; 10-06-2006 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Good post, MoMark.
Along with building the wall, we also need to protect it. We need to allow border patrol to do it's job and we need to bring our soliders home from Iraq and let them help protect our borders. My grandfather was a member of the National Guard and before WW1 that's what he did. Fighting in Iraq isn't making us safer. We need to build a strong homefront.
We all need to come together-as we did in the 60s--and demand our government listen to us. I don't know about you, but I love America too much to just give in without a fight.
Would any of us spill our blood, go to a prision camp, suffer punishment, etc. to save America? I would how about you?

It will take someone to end up like this for the rest to see what's happening and come on board. Remember strength in numbers.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Would any of us spill our blood, go to a prision camp, suffer punishment, etc. to save America? I would how about you?

It will take someone to end up like this for the rest to see what's happening and come on board. Remember strength in numbers.
I would! !!!!!!!!!!! I could move to another country but this is my home!!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
but this is my home!!!!
That's right! Amen!! Dang it this is our home and we will defend it to the death! our forefathers did in the War for Independance!!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Well anyone have any ideas on what we should do, no one in the government listens to us.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM

231 posts, read 508,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I googled Tijuana border and got Statesman.com. An extract:
"Guillermo Alonzo, a migration expert at the Tijuana-based Colegio de La Frontera Norte, said fences instead will force migrants to look for new ways to sneak into the United States and find new routes through deadlier terrain.
"When migrants are determined to cross, they find a way to jump the fences," Alonzo said. "Walls don't stop anything."

Alonzo cited the construction of a fence between Tijuana and San Diego, known in Mexico as "the tortilla wall." It was completed in the 1990s and forced migrants into the sparsely populated and dangerous Arizona desert.

While there are walls at various points along the border, the one in Tijuana is the longest stretch, running 14 miles west from the Otay border crossing and plunging into the Pacific Ocean.".

Any other suggestions Alexander??

You left out the part where they talk about how people are smuggled in cars and trucks at Tijuana. The wall deal doesn`t really work because there are always ways around it. Ok- maybe it deters a few, which is better than nothing. But the hard-core, determined masses are going to find their way in, or die trying.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:42 PM

231 posts, read 508,886 times
sorry, I kind of interrupted the rallying cry! You guys are making me feel guilty!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:57 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Once an illegal gets to the USA and gets phony papers, they can freely cross back and forth over the border without doing anything evasive. They just walk/drive/fly across like the rest of the tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration