U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Reputation: 1285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Not really. Because many of these schools are setup specifically to cater to Americans. If the Americans were not attending the medical school it most likely would close.
You are correct. Also, I think the number of USs tudents who go to med. school abroad is fairly small and possibly balanced by the number of foreign students who come to school in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Denton, TX
133 posts, read 487,198 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Not really. Because many of these schools are setup specifically to cater to Americans. If the Americans were not attending the medical school it most likely would close.
I disagree. Schools in foreign countries (whether medical or not) are designed to educate that country's students first, just as American schools are designed to educate Americans first. Why would Americans be charged international fees if they studied in the U.K., Japan, Egypt, Germany, etc. if the school was "set up specifically to cater to Americans"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,007,288 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I disagree. Schools in foreign countries (whether medical or not) are designed to educate that country's students first, just as American schools are designed to educate Americans first. Why would Americans be charged international fees if they studied in the U.K., Japan, Egypt, Germany, etc. if the school was "set up specifically to cater to Americans"?

Google it. There's literally page after page of foreign medical schools set up to cater to Americans. And they say it right up front that they were set up to cater to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Google it. There's literally page after page of foreign medical schools set up to cater to Americans. And they say it right up front that they were set up to cater to Americans.
Hawkeye is quite correct--there are a number of these schools designed and financed specifically to cater to the "American" trade. However, I'm not sure you'll want to hear this, but it's also an extension of the same reality that states that "not ALL illegals take jobs from Americans".
While illegal immigration isn't good, and must sooner or later be stopped, for a number of reasons, it's a fact that many illegals have created their own place in society---and that if the school teacher married to the hardware store manager were to suddenly lose their illegal Mexican maid, they wouldn't be forcd to hire an American maid---they'd simply learn that it's possible to live WITHOUT a maid...or mow your lawn, or wash your car---ALL BY YOURSELF.

I agree that illegal immigration does impact many blue-collar Americans, and its net result is more negative than positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 PM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,164,976 times
Reputation: 587
The German system towards the Turks was the same. They immigrated as guest workers. America and Canada tend to get the more skilled labour. Well-off (mostly from western regions) Turks don't need or want to emigrate to a northern European country. European countries, and Germany in particular, is very different from USA when it comes to identity. American is not an ethnicity. It's rather a lack thereof.

"Under a 1913 law based on the legal principle of jus sanguinis, or "blood law," parentage and ethnicity determine German nationality, not place of birth. A descendant of Germans stranded in Russia since the 18th century is considered a German, for example, while a Slav who was born in Munich is not."
Whose Fatherland? - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,978,500 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
To be fair, don't these Americans then take up spaces for the native people of those countries then? Just as an non-American studying at an American university takes up space that could otherwise have gone to an American?
If Americans go to other countries to study because they want it so badly, can't it be the same, that other people of other nationalities than American do the same and come to study in the US, because they don't get accepted in their own countries?
I myself know someone who does just that. My friend's sister didn't get in to medical school in Sweden, but got accepted in the US. She's not going to stay in the US, just as many Americans studying abroad doesn't intend to stay in the country where they got their education.

As for the article: I agree that the green cards Germany introduced can be seen as a sign that "we don't wan't you, just your labour". In that sense, the American is better.
But, you cannot compare all of Europe with how Germany deals with integration and immigration. Just want to make that distinction.
I do think that Fareed Zakaria is right that people need hope of evolving in the new homecountry, no matter what country it is.
Many public universities both here and in the United Kingdom embrace foreign students for one reason and one reason only: MONEY. Overseas students pay the absolute highest rates of tuition of any class of student. Some UK universities would be in serious financial trouble without the high rates of tuition that foreign students pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,164,976 times
Reputation: 587
I agree with you. There are universities in the UK with Chinese students who don't speak comprehensible English. They are usually hard-working but they are certainly not the best applicants. They tend to annoy the home students because lectures have to go much slower. One of my English friends have almost become a second tutor where he is studying. He is a nice guy. He is basically used as a tool of learning instead of being a fellow student and friend. So it's not all great. Well, it' s the double amount of work if you have to translate almost everything. Chinese students have started to find other European countries where you don't pay any tuition fee. Sweden is one of them. It's not like they (the many Chinese I met) are loyal to the UK. They could care less and a lot of them told me they would rather live in USA anyway.

You should say international, rather than overseas students, or they mean the same in the UK. EU students pay the same tuition fees as Home students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Many public universities both here and in the United Kingdom embrace foreign students for one reason and one reason only: MONEY. Overseas students pay the absolute highest rates of tuition of any class of student. Some UK universities would be in serious financial trouble without the high rates of tuition that foreign students pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
 
186 posts, read 299,343 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Depends on exactly how we define "progress", etc. Japan does indeed have problems, I've heard, due to a seriously decreasing birth rate. They're looking around for ways to "staff" their economy WITHOUT opening up to immigration-(a few years ago, they tried bringing in Japanese-Brazilians..but found that, three generations or more removed from Japanese society, these were no longer "Japanese" enough to assimilate, and the program was scrapped). Don't know what their future is, but they are going to need some kind of "replacements", if not immigrants.

Jobs Americans NEVER DID?..there's no such thing. Americans (even WHITE Americans) have picked cotton, dug ditches, raked asphalt, and mopped floors. But that's a long way from saying the typical American young person WILL do these jobs anymore. How would you like to run a large "maid service"--or a large landscaping service---or a fruit-packing plant, or a cannery--- staffed with 20-year old Americans? Good luck! If you could get them to even SHOW UP five days in a row, you'd be doing good.

I'd like to see our popualtion stabilize as well as you would. But unless we embark on an entirely different sort of economy than we now have, it won't be possible to take care of a huge number of "older" Americans by a shrinking number of younger, well-educated Americans who are none too eager to do "grunt work".

Let's face it, no society of wealthy, leisure-oriented people WANTS to do the "nasty" jobs, whether or not they "could"--or even "ought to". The Persian Gulf states are fabuluosly wealthy--and almost entirely "staffed" with foreigners (in Kuwait, I believe these outnumber the Kuwaitis). THese aren't really immigrants, because these societies don't tolerate immigration---but they certainly are "foreigners"--and they're not there because the locals "like" them, they're there because the locals don't want to scrub toilets and mix concrete.....

Perhaps we could all convert to Mormonism---or become Amish? With a continued high birth rate, (such as the Mormons have in Utah), or an "Amish" work-ethic.... your plan just might work, without immigration. But as things now stand, I'm afraid we still need "new blood"----can you suggest a source for this WITHOUT legal immigration? I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.....

America's birth rate is 2.1, exactly replacement rate. And yes, perhaps popping out more babies may be exactly what we need to do in the war against immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
 
17,283 posts, read 24,978,142 times
Reputation: 8525
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
America's birth rate is 2.1, exactly replacement rate. And yes, perhaps popping out more babies may be exactly what we need to do in the war against immigrants.
The population doesn't need to grow.

Replacement is just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Gainesboro, Tennessee
323 posts, read 663,572 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Nobody in their right mind would want to be a Doctor in the United States. Too much paper work, too many lawsuits, too long of hours - just too much bad, not nearly enough good and dang sure not enough pay!
All of it I can agree with but the last. Not enough PAY.

Replacement is just fine for me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top