U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am new to the forums but advised to post here for some advice. I plan to move to Texas in the very near future to be with my US girlfriend. However, as i will be coming there as an illegal irish alien I am worried about finding work there without having a working visa/paperwork etc. I have a totally clean record and much experience here in Ireland. But I am willing to do whatever type of work that is available out there. Of course i would love to do it legally but that doesnt appear to be an option

So really what I am asking is, where in Texas would be the best and most likely place that I could find work as an illegal alien without any paperwork at all?

I have been told that the oil fields in Texas are recruiting a lot of non skilled people, but would they hire an illegal alien??

Another question....without sound racist in anyway....but how do the Mexicans who cross the border illegally manage to find jobs there?

All i want to do is to be with my US girlfriend and be able to support her by working hard and making a good living for both of us.

Please dont suggest marriage, although this may happen further down the line, its too early at this stage.

Any help greatly appreciated

Paddy (Irishman)

Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,534,395 times
Either do it the right way, or don't come.

The last thing Texas needs is more illegal aliens of any stripe.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
Cathy, I would very much like to do it the right way. If you read my post i clearly stated that. I asked for advice on how I could do it the right way and what opportunities there are to do it the right way. I do not want to come to your country to take benefits or abuse health care, i want to come there to work hard for my living. I mentioned the oild fields but i dont know if i applied for work there while still here in ireland would they be willing to help me get there legally??

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM

9,513 posts, read 19,533,674 times
USCIS Home Page

Honestly, the easiest way in is to marry your girlfriend, and have her petition for you as a spouse of a USC.

It's really tough to come in legally as a foreign worker. There is a lot of paperwork that the sponsoring company has to do, and they also have to prove that there is no USC willing and ready to do the work they want to being you in to do. And with our economy the way it is right now, few companies are willing to insure the expense to sponsor foreign workers. If you could get a job there with one of the operating companies with North Sea operations, such as Halliburton, perhaps they could sponsor you?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM

656 posts, read 1,584,317 times
Can you not apply for a work visa? Admittedly, I do not know how the process works.

My mom is a resident alien (legal) who's been in the US since 1964. She married my dad but never wanted to become a US citizen (stubborn German). But...she was married when she came here.

The biggest thing you have to consider is that if INS finds out about you and kicks you out, I think it's harder for you to come back.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,584,317 times
Ah. I just read Christie's comment. I guess it's tough to get a visa?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykay View Post
Cathy, I would very much like to do it the right way. If you read my post i clearly stated that. I asked for advice on how I could do it the right way and what opportunities there are to do it the right way. I do not want to come to your country to take benefits or abuse health care, i want to come there to work hard for my living. I mentioned the oild fields but i dont know if i applied for work there while still here in ireland would they be willing to help me get there legally??
Your only option is to stay where you are until you can immigrate here legally. The last thing we need in Texas is more illegal aliens.

As an Irish national, you qualify for the diversity lottery. Try that first. You can try applying for jobs in Texas but your odds of being sponsored for a work visa are slim to none. You pretty much have to work for 1 of 3 Indian consulting firms and have a last name like Gupta to get those. Those firms gobble up the lion's share of H1-Bs as soon as they come available.

Best of luck. And stay where you are until you have a valid visa/EAD in your hand.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM

9,513 posts, read 19,533,674 times
Yes, it is very tough to get a work visa. You have to be sponsored by an employer, and unless you are a chemist, IT engineer with an advanced degree, or something like that, it is almost impossible.

You could come in as a college student... Those visas are easy to obtain, but you have to remain enrolled and tuition is expensive. Overstays are very closely monitored since that is how the 9/11 hijackers came in...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM

795 posts, read 1,276,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Either do it the right way, or don't come.

The last thing Texas needs is more illegal aliens of any stripe.
Agreed.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

14,817 posts, read 18,832,006 times
Funny that nobody has said "We already have too many Irish here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or