U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Its easier for the Irish and Italians to succeed when they are WHITE.
Most hispanics are NOT white.
And that was then, this is now.
Its not insinuating they are too weak, but that they are misrepresented, and things need to be evened out.

Im really tired of white people crying about affirmative action.
Its not like any white people aren't getting in to school because of it.
If using the old 'skin color' argument: why did the Japanese immigrants' children succeed in school then life prior to WW II yet the same color Mestizo kids had more problems?

The only way that things are evened out is by a 'can do' attitude.

To be blunt: if anything; AA makes me doubt the accomplishments of any person of color------unless said individual has references.

Case in point: the surgeon who repaired my triple hernia early last year is a Black man-------with a practice in lily White/Asian wealthy Scottsdale. Somehow I doubt AA helped this gentleman with his practice-----he succeeded on his own merits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If using the old 'skin color' argument: why did the Japanese immigrants' children succeed in school then life prior to WW II yet the same color Mestizo kids had more problems?
It's STILL not fair, though, and you know it. If those stuffy Japanese kids hadn't done all that silly studying and homework, and had learned to 'kick back' they wouldn't have had an advantage. They ONLY had an advantage because they worked unfairly hard and behaved unfairly well, NOT because they were any better.
Think about it....

Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's STILL not fair, though, and you know it. If those stuffy Japanese kids hadn't done all that silly studying and homework, and had learned to 'kick back' they wouldn't have had an advantage. They ONLY had an advantage because they worked unfairly hard and behaved unfairly well, NOT because they were any better.
Think about it....
Yeah and every year a few those kids commit suicide on college campuses over a B.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:

The only way that things are evened out is by a 'can do' attitude.

To be blunt: if anything; AA makes me doubt the accomplishments of any person of color------unless said individual has references.

Case in point: the surgeon who repaired my triple hernia early last year is a Black man-------with a practice in lily White/Asian wealthy Scottsdale. Somehow I doubt AA helped this gentleman with his practice-----he succeeded on his own merits
How do you know he didn't benefit from Affirmative Action? Is it impossible for someone to have a desire to learn AND benefit from AA?
You are borderline patronizing of non-Hispanic minorities, it's less than subtle in your frequent comments.

Maybe just maybe Latinos have certain problems in America that Asian kids don't.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM

539 posts, read 1,612,575 times
Personaly, I hate the practice of Affirmative-Action. I think that it lowers the standards for which the disadvantaged should be striving. In the case of African-Americans, the problems of not suceeding is our culture and not our race. Many Africans come to America and thrive. Why aren't we (who are born in this country, with all of the benefits and assets), not able to compete at the same level as anyone else? There is no reason other than us failing to adapt quickly enough to a changing economy. Not every black person is going to be a rapper or entertainer. Why are these professions seen as the best way out of the hood? If we stressed education and performance - more than many of us seem to stress appearence, more of us would be in the possition to effect a change. Maybe not for ourselves as much as for our children. This seems to be the method used by the immigrant Asian population.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Yeah and every year a few those kids commit suicide on college campuses over a B.
There's safety in low expectations, for sure.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
How do you know he didn't benefit from Affirmative Action? Is it impossible for someone to have a desire to learn AND benefit from AA?
You are borderline patronizing of non-Hispanic minorities, it's less than subtle in your frequent comments.

Maybe just maybe Latinos have certain problems in America that Asian kids don't.
Name me one------and, I can counter that Asians suffered from racism/discrimination as well. Too; the Internment Camps during WW II were not for Latinos, shall we say.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Personaly, I hate the practice of Affirmative-Action. I think that it lowers the standards for which the disadvantaged should be striving. In the case of African-Americans, the problems of not suceeding is our culture and not our race. Many Africans come to America and thrive. Why aren't we (who are born in this country, with all of the benefits and assets), not able to compete at the same level as anyone else? There is no reason other than us failing to adapt quickly enough to a changing economy. Not every black person is going to be a rapper or entertainer. Why are these professions seen as the best way out of the hood? If we stressed education and performance - more than many of us seem to stress appearence, more of us would be in the possition to effect a change. Maybe not for ourselves as much as for our children. This seems to be the method used by the immigrant Asian population.
And; UBJ, to run with your ball further, the last vestiges of the Jim Crow laws were not declared unconstitutional till ca. 1967--------- just 41 years later, a 'Black' man not only won the Democratic Presidential nomination, Obama is the odds-on favorite to win come November.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Name me one------and, I can counter that Asians suffered from racism/discrimination as well. Too; the Internment Camps during WW II were not for Latinos, shall we say.
You are so blind to the real world. Do yourself a favor and visit the projects of East LA. Get to know some people and their stories. Educate yourself instead of relying on your own smug beliefs. I have many stories to tell you, and my grandmother and mother could tell you even worse.
The internment camps of world war II were a resort compared to the lives many of these kids have to live today.

Any racism/discrimination the asians were suffering in say the 1800s in California, Latinos were right there too.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 PM

539 posts, read 1,612,575 times
Quote:
Why? Affirmative Action is done to promote diversity in our higher education and workforce.
There is a disproportionate number of whites and asians in colleges compared to Blacks and Latinos.
Actually, 15% of the incoming freshman next year at colleges and universities will be African-American. At just under 13% of the total US population, this seems to be more than proportionate. (Although AA females seem to be doing better. Also, this 15% also includes students enroled in J. Colleges and HBCU's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or