U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,000,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Actually, 15% of the incoming freshman next year at colleges and universities will be African-American. At just under 13% of the total US population, this seems to be more than proportionate. (Although AA females seem to be doing better. Also, this 15% also includes students enroled in J. Colleges and HBCU's)
was this the case before affirmative action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,179,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Its easier for the Irish and Italians to succeed when they are WHITE.
Most hispanics are NOT white.
And that was then, this is now.
Its not insinuating they are too weak, but that they are misrepresented, and things need to be evened out.

Im really tired of white people crying about affirmative action.
Its not like any white people aren't getting in to school because of it.

There are a lot of "white" people who are tired of others crying that racism is the root cause of every problem in the world and that all of their problems can be attributed to the evil "white person".

Just because one is "white" does not make it easier for them to succeed. People of all races and ethnicities come out of hard times, work hard and succeed without blaming others for any obstacle they may encounter along the way. On the other hand, people of all races and ethnicities fail because they blame their problems on others and refuse to work hard. Neither is monopolized or attributed to any one race or ethnicity.

And yes with quotas or whatever they call them these days-it is stopping people white and non-white from getting into certain schools. If so many slots are put aside in the name of diversity or whatever wants to call it-that is taking away potential spots from whatever groups happen to be excluded.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
You are so blind to the real world. Do yourself a favor and visit the projects of East LA. Get to know some people and their stories. Educate yourself instead of relying on your own smug beliefs. I have many stories to tell you, and my grandmother and mother could tell you even worse.
The internment camps of world war II were a resort compared to the lives many of these kids have to live today.

Any racism/discrimination the asians were suffering in say the 1800s in California, Latinos were right there too.
I have seen/visited E LA 25 years ago seeing some friends and I lived in Pico Rivera for 4 years as well so I know a few things about barrios.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, 15% of the incoming freshman next year at colleges and universities will be African-American. At just under 13% of the total US population, this seems to be more than proportionate. (Although AA females seem to be doing better. Also, this 15% also includes students enroled in J. Colleges and HBCU's)
Ironic with AA rules dropping by the wayside.......can someone say a cultural change within the Black communities?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 PM

539 posts, read 1,613,928 times
Quote:
was this the case before affirmative action?
I'm not entirely sure?
Although, before AA many Blacks didn't/couldn't go to predomenently White colleges or universities. Those who did were probably more qualified than than other students at the same schools. (Because of having to overcome the social and/or economical obstacles as well as the academic) This is also the reason for the developement of HBCU's.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,000,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have seen/visited E LA 25 years ago seeing some friends and I lived in Pico Rivera for 4 years as well so I know a few things about barrios.
Hanging out in Estrada Courts and such makes you feel like everythigns all right in the communnity?

And cruising down Whittier Blvd in the Chico and The Man days is a lot different than going there in the past 15 years in the Crack Epidemic gangbanger put a bullet in your head days.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Personaly, I hate the practice of Affirmative-Action. I think that it lowers the standards for which the disadvantaged should be striving. In the case of African-Americans, the problems of not suceeding is our culture and not our race. Many Africans come to America and thrive. Why aren't we (who are born in this country, with all of the benefits and assets), not able to compete at the same level as anyone else? There is no reason other than us failing to adapt quickly enough to a changing economy. Not every black person is going to be a rapper or entertainer. Why are these professions seen as the best way out of the hood? If we stressed education and performance - more than many of us seem to stress appearence, more of us would be in the possition to effect a change. Maybe not for ourselves as much as for our children. This seems to be the method used by the immigrant Asian population.
Absolutely!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
If using the old 'skin color' argument: why did the Japanese immigrants' children succeed in school then life prior to WW II yet the same color Mestizo kids had more problems?

The only way that things are evened out is by a 'can do' attitude.

To be blunt: if anything; AA makes me doubt the accomplishments of any person of color------unless said individual has references.

Case in point: the surgeon who repaired my triple hernia early last year is a Black man-------with a practice in lily White/Asian wealthy Scottsdale. Somehow I doubt AA helped this gentleman with his practice-----he succeeded on his own merits
I'm happy to state that I did not rely on AA for college admission. My grades and my SAT scores were the basis for my qualification.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm happy to state that I did not rely on AA for college admission. My grades and my SAT scores were the basis for my qualification.
Congratulations there.

In another time; you would have been one of WEB Dubois's Talented Tenth.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Congratulations there.

In another time; you would have been one of WEB Dubois's Talented Tenth.
That's quite a compliment. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or