U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 AM

44 posts, read 23,717 times

Advertisements

Most of today's immigrants into the U.S. are not of an indigenous European background, meaning that they are qualified for some sort of affirmative action, be it in regards to education, employment, loans from the SBA, etc.

How is it, as a White, I should be supportive of this? How is this sort of hate and discrimination fair to me? What and why do I owe the entire planet the nation my ancestors built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
ONLY blacks should ever get affirmative action (if at all. Personally, I think economic status should count, not race or ethnicity, but that's a whole different thread).

Affirmative action is meant to correct past wrongs. ALL other immigrants come here on their own volition, and cannot and should not expect affirmative action.

Plus, AA for "hispanics" is patently unfair, since being "hispanic" doesn't signal anything about what your ACTUAL background, experience, appearance, or race is.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
ONLY blacks should ever get affirmative action (if at all. Personally, I think economic status should count, not race or ethnicity, but that's a whole different thread).

Affirmative action is meant to correct past wrongs. ALL other immigrants come here on their own volition, and cannot and should not expect affirmative action.

Plus, AA for "hispanics" is patently unfair, since being "hispanic" doesn't signal anything about what your ACTUAL background, experience, appearance, or race is.
In all fairness: has AA really helped the targeted 'minorities' all that much?

Back in the old Jim Crow days: Blacks were advancing at a faster rate socioe-economically than Whites despite starting from further down the ladder.

And; what is not well known is the most successful racial/ethnic group in the USA are Blacks who immigrated from Africa in the last 40 years or so.

So much for racism being the main thing keeping people of color down these days.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: has AA really helped the targeted 'minorities' all that much?

Back in the old Jim Crow days: Blacks were advancing at a faster rate socioe-economically than Whites despite starting from further down the ladder.

And; what is not well known is the most successful racial/ethnic group in the USA are Blacks who immigrated from Africa in the last 40 years or so.

So much for racism being the main thing keeping people of color down these days.

They are the most successful because they are the minority group who have been here the longest. Don't worry though, Hispanics will probably surpass blacks since Hispanics are the largest minority group in the United States which is growing at a lightning pace.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
They are the most successful because they are the minority group who have been here the longest. Don't worry though, Hispanics will probably surpass blacks since Hispanics are the largest minority group in the United States which is growing at a lightning pace.
Already done:

Hispanics of all races have already surpassed non Hispanic Blacks.

I could just see Judge Henry Perez of Louisiana asking for Affirmative Action if he were alive today-------the man was a vicious White Supremacist.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM

Also, the new Governer of Louisiana is the son of Indian Immigrants. Take that KKK!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Also, the new Governer of Louisiana is the son of Indian Immigrants. Take that KKK!
Note the demographic who voted for Jindal-------Conservative Whites.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Yea.. Jindal is a republican. Why wouldn't they vote for him? The KKK must be p'd off their minds.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 AM

140 posts, read 79,701 times
All other ethnic groups, as well as women, are subject to preferential hiring practices by most large companies, all public utility jobs as well as federal jobs. The same is true for college grants, educational assistance and federally backed small business loans. If this isn't dicrimination against white males, I don't know what is!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 AM

273 posts, read 178,380 times
Quote:
Also, the new Governer of Louisiana is the son of Indian Immigrants.
Hey smart-guy, he is also strong on illegal immigration and is rolling up the ol' welcome mat for illegals in Louisiana.

Here's something to think about;

Early in my career, I would put 'hispanic' on my job applications. I always got an interview and often had less qualifications than my 'white' counter-part.

Today, I enjoy a six figure income....AA is not fair....niether is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or