U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I stand corrected. I couldn't remember if it was 18 or 21 since it was a few years ago that I checked. On the other points you are absolutely correct. I just didn't want to go into that much detail but just wanted to point out that it is not such an easy process as many people think.
Also to accent that the sponsor must be a U.S. citizen to petition for parents. Parents of U.S. citizens receive an immediate visa number following the U.S. Consulate approval. Siblings (either married or unmarried) of U.S. citizens have quotas (quite long for some countries).

A Legal Permanent Resident can sponsor a spouse and unmarried (step)child(ren) of any age. U.S. citizens can additionally sponsor parents and siblings, and their (step)children if they are married (under quotas). There are no further familial relationships able to be sponsored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There a lot of misconceptions regarding immigration to the US, both legal and illegal.

1. Legal immigration into the US is very difficult to qualify for. Virtually none of the illegal immigrants from Mexico would be able to immigrate legally to the US so that path is closed to them period. Having a child born in the US does NOT give legal status to the mother nor father. The child has be 18 before they can petition for their parents and even then it still takes a few years after that.
Legal immigration can't be too difficult, given that the U.S. welcomes more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. But you're right. Most illiterate, uneducated Mexican illegals would not qualify. Why should they? Poverty is the last thing we need to import.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why? Did I not make valid points in addressing your point #1? The fact remains that there are more Mexicans and other Latinos here legally than any other ethnic/national groups by far. The fact remains that just because it isn't easy to migrate here, the fees may not be affordable or that our quotas are limited that does not justify them coming here illegally.
But you aren't grasping the concept that people are attempting to help you understand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But you aren't grasping the concept that people are attempting to help you understand...
I fully grasped it when people are defending or advocating for an immigrant to come here illegally anyway if they can't come the legal way based on costs, limited quotas or just plain rejection for one reason or another. That is just plain wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Reputation: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why? Did I not make valid points in addressing your point #1? The fact remains that there are more Mexicans and other Latinos here legally than any other ethnic/national groups by far. The fact remains that just because it isn't easy to migrate here, the fees may not be affordable or that our quotas are limited that does not justify them coming here illegally.
I am not arguing about them coming here illegally. I have never said I was in favor of illegal immigration. In fact I strongly support securing our borders. I simply said the reason why it has happened.

No you did not make a valid point. Not all Mexicans are poor and uneducated which is true for illegal immigrants. The ones that immigrate legally obviously qualify. It would be logical that there would be more Mexicans becoming citizens considering the proximity and history of Mexico and the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Reputation: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Also to accent that the sponsor must be a U.S. citizen to petition for parents. Parents of U.S. citizens receive an immediate visa number following the U.S. Consulate approval. Siblings (either married or unmarried) of U.S. citizens have quotas (quite long for some countries).

A Legal Permanent Resident can sponsor a spouse and unmarried (step)child(ren) of any age. U.S. citizens can additionally sponsor parents and siblings, and their (step)children if they are married (under quotas). There are no further familial relationships able to be sponsored.
A US citizen sponsoring their parents is not an easy process and it takes a long time. I went through it when I was going to sponsor my parents moving from Canada. I gave up on it as it was just as easy for them to do it without me. That was a few years ago. It is even tougher now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Reputation: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Legal immigration can't be too difficult, given that the U.S. welcomes more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. But you're right. Most illiterate, uneducated Mexican illegals would not qualify. Why should they? Poverty is the last thing we need to import.
It ia difficult and can take many years. I suggest you read the official link I provided so you can see what the qualifications are. Somebody can't just up and decide to move here no matter how much money they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Reputation: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I fully grasped it when people are defending or advocating for an immigrant to come here illegally anyway if they can't come the legal way based on costs, limited quotas or just plain rejection for one reason or another. That is just plain wrong.
You are blinded by your own prejudice. Never once have I said that I approve of illegal immigration. The fact is I don't. I haven't seen any others that support it either. Whether you like it or not, they are here and have been for many years. I have simply stated the reason why they are here. This has been going on since they terminated the bracero program in 1965. It really accelerated in the 80's and 90's, especially when Mexico suffered their severe economic crisis in December 1994.

Basically the major problem on our side of the border is a failure to secure the border and enforce the law. Securing the border won't cure all the problems because 40% of illegal immigrants came her legally as visitors and didn't leave. For some stupid reason the US hasn't kept track if a visitor leaves when they are supposed to. Mexico and many other countries have tracked visitors entering and leaving for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I am not arguing about them coming here illegally. I have never said I was in favor of illegal immigration. In fact I strongly support securing our borders. I simply said the reason why it has happened.

No you did not make a valid point. Not all Mexicans are poor and uneducated which is true for illegal immigrants. The ones that immigrate legally obviously qualify. It would be logical that there would be more Mexicans becoming citizens considering the proximity and history of Mexico and the US.
Where did I say that all Mexicans here legally are poor or uneducated? All I am saying is that allowing one national/ethnic group to come here in overwhelming more numbers opposed to others is not in keeping with diversity. Add their high numbers here illegally and the family reunification catagories also and it is not only unfair to other groups but changes the face of America. Wasn't it Ted Kennedy that said that wouldn't happen?

We already know why it is mostly Mexicans and other Latinos that come here illegally based on their promimity to the U.S. So tell us something we didn't know already. Why point out the obvious? It makes it look like you are defending them, IMO. We need to do more than secure our border we need to enforce our immigration laws and giving them amnesy or whatever else you want to call it isn't enforcing our immigration laws. It is waiving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You are blinded by your own prejudice. Never once have I said that I approve of illegal immigration. The fact is I don't. I haven't seen any others that support it either. Whether you like it or not, they are here and have been for many years. I have simply stated the reason why they are here. This has been going on since they terminated the bracero program in 1965. It really accelerated in the 80's and 90's, especially when Mexico suffered their severe economic crisis in December 1994.

Basically the major problem on our side of the border is a failure to secure the border and enforce the law. Securing the border won't cure all the problems because 40% of illegal immigrants came her legally as visitors and didn't leave. For some stupid reason the US hasn't kept track if a visitor leaves when they are supposed to. Mexico and many other countries have tracked visitors entering and leaving for many years.
I see, so wanting diversity in our immigration numbers equates to prejudice? Isn't desiring the opposite, prejudice and biasness instead? I would say so if one can think rationally.

It doesn't matter why they here. Americans want our immigration laws enforced and our government failed to do so. We aren't just going to roll over and accept this just because many have been here for years. A so-called CIR aka amnesty isn't in the best interests of this country and its citizens and afterall it is our country. It also makes a mockery out of our immigration laws and soveirgn borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top