U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,273,804 times

Advertisements

The best one I've heard is "unauthorized immigrant."

Immigration: "Unauthorised" | The Economist

Quote:
An action can be illegal, so it's one thing to talk about "illegal immigration", but I'm not sure what it means to apply that adjective to a person. To say that someone is an illegal immigrant is to say that their arrival was not legal, which is accurate enough, but it's not as if their entire existence is illegal, and such immigrants do have some legal rights. Another common option is to describe people as "undocumented". That's more logically straightforward, but a person's rights are described by his paperwork, not determined by it. There are some Americans without the conventional documentation—people delivered by midwives, for example. And there are people on the wrong side of American immigration law who have documents, just not the applicable ones. Academics often talk about "irregular migrants", but that covers a broader set of people (asylum-seekers, for example) than is typically being described in discussions of immigration in America. I find that "unauthorised" is usually a good fit because it indicates the nature of the violation (and there has, in fact, been a violation of the civil code) without being pejorative or euphemistic. It's debatable, of course, and subjective.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I pretty sure God calls them His children.

How about you, Roy. What do you think God calls them?
"Thalt Shalt Not Steal" if you're gonna toss religion in there. Sheesh!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
thats not going to win you many friends in the immigrant community.
I don't care what the "immigrant" community thinks. If they're that mad; the illegal aliens and go HOME.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM

4,576 posts, read 3,844,809 times
Quote:
thats not going to win you many friends in the immigrant community.
No, that's not going to win friends in the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT community. My wife is an immigrant. We made sure everything was done legally. That involved many trips to the INS offices, often getting in line at 4:00a and standing for hours in sub-freezing temperatures. Sometimes we were told we needed to return then on another day. It meant filing many forms, waiting patiently, sending required fees, waiting some more, hours on hold on the phone to get a status, fingerprints, photos, more forms, more fees, complicated processes when we traveled, being unable to travel at times, more fees, etc. It was not easy. It was not convenient. It was not cheap. However, it was all done in a legal manner. She is a properly naturalized US citizen. No shortcuts were sought in our journey, no indulgences asked.

I expect no more and no less of anyone else than we were willing to do to make sure she's legal. And I give no pity nor compassion to those who seek to skirt the rules. Personally, I'd advocate shooting trespassers in the desert or in the Rio Grande as soon as they cross the line improperly. Land mines are ok, too.

And to whomever invocated God in the discussion (call them 'Gods children'), as soon as you bring mythological creatures into the argument, you've lost all credibility. If God wanted them to be here, they would have been born here.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 02-07-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

23,631 posts, read 31,286,646 times
I voted for Obama.

I call them ILLEGALS, because that's what they are. "Undocumented" is too PC for me. "New Americans"? Never. I'll call that thing in the street a "person hole cover" before I call an illegal a "New American".

Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM

2,633 posts, read 2,971,533 times
Conyers has baited the Far Right and they have reacted with predictable rage, this thread is a great example. What's more interesting is no one else on the committee has pushed back, wonder why?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,096,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I pretty sure God calls them His children.

How about you, Roy. What do you think God calls them?

A great man once said - Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.

I think the anti-immigrants and nativists need to search inside themselves to see if any part of their soul remains. I find their hatred and bitterness toward the other people that share this planet to be absolutely disgusting.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM

31,915 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I voted for Obama.

I call them ILLEGALS, because that's what they are. "Undocumented" is too PC for me. "New Americans"? Never. I'll call that thing in the street a "person hole cover" before I call an illegal a "New American".
Undocumented isn't even any kind of immigration law term for them. I call them by the lawful term for them. I'd like to know what kind of arrogance it takes for a group of Americans to change the lingo of our laws to suit their agenda and demand that others do the same.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,111,882 times
Quote:
again, you can call them whatever you want. but calling people criminals is not a winning political strategy in the long run.
I see that you agree with Obama and his party that we should call them undocumented immigrants. However, we all know that most of them have forged papers so they aren't really undocumented. They are illegal entrants and also illegal in documentation.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,111,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'll have to check on that. Some aspects of illegal immigration are only punishable by fine, but I know other aspects are felonies.

That is what this entire thread is about. What should we call them? You can't call them citizens, immigrants, or green card holders. What title do you bestow upon them to identify who you are talking about?

Transnational squatters is the best term I have heard so far.
I kind of like calling them illegally obtained document illegal aliens. Most of them do have forged documents kind of like their leader in the US does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or