U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM

327 posts, read 262,515 times

Advertisements

This poll seems more accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM

31,804 posts, read 14,647,757 times
From the article: The clues of why some polls seem to depict the opposite and aren't really accurate are all there.

Pollsters should pick their words carefully, and ask a series of 15 or more questions, he said.

Many Americans know few details about the issue, he said. In a poll, they know their view is not decisive, and they tend to express their sympathy for immigrants without having to grapple with the costs and benefits, he said.

Generally, the best way to test the immigration issue is to give [respondents] both points of view and see what side most come down on,” he said.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,108,596 times
I also think many Americans are not aware of the substantial cost involved. The media always paint a heart sobbing story by showing children & giving the mantra "They come here for a better life" when quite the opposite is true for some.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I also think many Americans are not aware of the substantial cost involved. The media always paint a heart sobbing story by showing children & giving the mantra "They come here for a better life" when quite the opposite is true for some.
I have found this to be true also. So many clueless Americans wearing their hearts on their sleeves on this issue without knowing or bothering to find out that the better life they seek is at that their expense. They think they are all out picking crops in the hot sun saving us tons of money on our produce and that is where their thought process ends. If they would be able to think rationally they would question who is paying for their healthcare, education and other social costs. That so-called cheap tomato in reality isn't cheap at all. These same defenders of illegal immigrants defile the rich in our country while advocating for them to retain their cheap, illegal slaves to make them richer. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,873,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have found this to be true also. So many clueless Americans wearing their hearts on their sleeves on this issue without knowing or bothering to find out that the better life they seek is at that their expense. They think they are all out picking crops in the hot sun saving us tons of money on our produce and that is where their thought process ends. If they would be able to think rationally they would question who is paying for their healthcare, education and other social costs. That so-called cheap tomato in reality isn't cheap at all. These same defenders of illegal immigrants defile the rich in our country while advocating for them to retain their cheap, illegal slaves to make them richer. Ironic, isn't it?
I do know a few who come to pick crops but the majority I don't think this applies. In Illinois something like 75% of those on Medicaid are illegals and their kids and Illinois is VERY generous towards them, including welfare and the like. Not to mention they drive down salaries and many fields that used to pay well for Americans like construction are now mostly illegals. With the high unemployment we have we can't afford to import unskilled people who depend on welfare.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM

92 posts, read 73,936 times
Dude the simple fact is no one cares about Americans in lower wage jobs. They were actually the first people to start complaining about illegal immigration.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,797,340 times
What else would you expect from an anti-immigrant group?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What else would you expect from an anti-immigrant group?
What anti-immigrant group? I only know of those who are anti-illegal immigration. Spin, much?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM

156 posts, read 112,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I do know a few who come to pick crops but the majority I don't think this applies. In Illinois something like 75% of those on Medicaid are illegals and their kids and Illinois is VERY generous towards them, including welfare and the like. Not to mention they drive down salaries and many fields that used to pay well for Americans like construction are now mostly illegals. With the high unemployment we have we can't afford to import unskilled people who depend on welfare.

Not to mention that we just don't have the money for this with the trillions of dollars of debt that we are in. Like someone else pointed out, this isn't 1910 where there are no welfare programs. The Feds can keep borrowing from China and keep printing money, but the states have to balance their budgets.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,873,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Not to mention that we just don't have the money for this with the trillions of dollars of debt that we are in. Like someone else pointed out, this isn't 1910 where there are no welfare programs. The Feds can keep borrowing from China and keep printing money, but the states have to balance their budgets.
Exactly. The immigrants (legal and illegal though I don't like calling illegals immigrants)we tend to get now use welfare at higher levels than immigrants we used to get. There have been several studies on this and the fact is we just can't afford to have people come here who are unskilled. When 75% of those on assistance in Illinois are illegals and their kids something needs to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or