U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,484,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This question is for people who are not obviously of Mexican or Latin American ancestry. A few times (and always in an illegal alien heavy area) I have had illegal aliens come up to me and automatically speak to me in Spanish, without even asking me if I spoke Spanish. As if I am supposed to know it!!

Now I understand why if its true some French people will refuse to speak English to American tourists even if they understand English if the American is rude and doesn't ask first if the Frenchman speaks English. Even though I am conversationally fluent in Spanish, I refuse to speak it to illegal aliens because this is America and they should learn our language here. On the other hand if I travel to Mexico I will try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not demand that the native people cater to me.
Do you look like an illegal alien?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Really? There are Americans who can speak Spanish?

Please. Obviously plenty of Americans are fluent in Spanish. I am not incredulous that an American speaks Spanish, I am incredulous that this particular one does.

Honestly who cares? If you can't speak Spanish or don't want to speak Spanish just ignore them. Who cares if they don't speak English? When has it ever mattered? Have you ever tried to get a mortgage and the banker didn't speak English? Did you ever go to a job interview and your potential employer only spoke Spanish? Who cares if these people don't speak English? When has it negatively affected anyone ever? Why would anyone even waste their time getting angry? The only people who get angry about it are the people who be angry about them being here even if they spoke the most elegant English in the world. In others words: racists.

If you want to try and help people who come up to you speaking Spanish knock yourself out, if you don't, this tip is for free: "No hablo Espanol" and be on your way.
Ah, the race card. So we shouldn't be angry about millions of illegal immigrants in our country and that equates to racism? We have millions of non-English speaking (mostly Spanish speaking) illegal immigrants in this country and it does affect us. For one thing it has only been in the last couple of decades that employment ads require you to know Spanish to apply for a job. Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so it isn't about communicating with them. However, I do know many who want to feel all warm and fuzzy by being spoken to in Spanish in spite of the fact that they know English.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I tend to focus on communicating, rather than declaring that they absolutely speak English. This is ugly American-think IMO. If they speak to me in Spanish, I'll try to understand. I can't speak Spanish very well, but if we can understand one another through certain words and gestures, and effectively communicate, that suits me.
p
About France, IMO nothing is more insulting to the French than some pompous white American tourist loudly making a fool of themselves by the many ways these "ugly Americans" do it. These tourists show a lack of respect for the culture and insist on being treated as if Americans who speak English are superior to everyone else. It is this attutide which is offensive, aside from the fact that the "ugly American" assumes that the typical Frenchman speaks English.
So you are admitting there are "ugly Mexicans" who are essentially coming here and doing that exact same thing you accuse "ugly Americans" of doing?

Only it's one thing to be a tourist vising for a week to not learn perfect French, quite another to be coming here by the millions planning to camp out here the rest of their lives and never make any effort to learn this country's language and showing alll lack of respect for our culture even while jamming the ER waiting rooms for their free health care here.

At least those "ugly Americans" are pending big money as tourists in France. Rather unlike the illegals who spent their last dime on smugglers and expect for us to provide them food stamps and free health care and free schools for their many children.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you are admitting there are "ugly Mexicans" who are essentially coming here and doing that exact same thing you accuse "ugly Americans" of doing?

Only it's one thing to be a tourist vising for a week to not learn perfect French, quite another to be coming here by the millions planning to camp out here the rest of their lives and never make any effort to learn this country's language and showing alll lack of respect for our culture even while jamming the ER waiting rooms for their free health care here.

At least those "ugly Americans" are pending big money as tourists in France. Rather unlike the illegals who spent their last dime on smugglers and expect for us to provide them food stamps and free health care and free schools for their many children.
Agreed but the friends of illegal aliens DON'T like that kind of talk because it makes them look like fools.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This question is for people who are not obviously of Mexican or Latin American ancestry. A few times (and always in an illegal alien heavy area) I have had illegal aliens come up to me and automatically speak to me in Spanish, without even asking me if I spoke Spanish. As if I am supposed to know it!!

Now I understand why if its true some French people will refuse to speak English to American tourists even if they understand English if the American is rude and doesn't ask first if the Frenchman speaks English. Even though I am conversationally fluent in Spanish, I refuse to speak it to illegal aliens because this is America and they should learn our language here. On the other hand if I travel to Mexico I will try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not demand that the native people cater to me.
First World problems.

How did you know they were illegal, btw?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM

As an American living in Mexico, it's strange how most people would rather try to practice English with me than simply using Spanish. Yet we're all supposed to believe that Mexicans living in the US get all butthurt over Americans not using Spanish with them. Seriously, where do you people live and why are you surrounded by ***holes?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

If you want to try and help people who come up to you speaking Spanish knock yourself out, if you don't, this tip is for free: "No hablo Espanol" and be on your way.
You must be new here. These people live and breathe drama. Every action, law and move made by a Hispanic (regardless of whether or not they know their status) is a direct attack on the American way of life. Ironically, they would make awesome participants in a novela.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
As an American living in Mexico, it's strange how most people would rather try to practice English with me than simply using Spanish. Yet we're all supposed to believe that Mexicans living in the US get all butthurt over Americans not using Spanish with them. Seriously, where do you people live and why are you surrounded by ***holes?
Mexico is keeping it's more educated and literate types. Mexico is actually not the hell-hole the illegals try to claim it is. It's just that to become middle class in Mexico, one must finish their equivalent of high school, delay having babies until they have finished and education, married and have a job.

If they won't do any of that, then the best thing is to get to the USA -- so we're getting that type. I have neighbors who have lived in this country over 20 years and cannot speak or understand English at all. It takes a serious lack of intellectual curiousity to live in a country for 20 years and never want to learn to converse with it's people or learn anything of it's culture.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico is keeping it's more educated and literate types. Mexico is actually not the hell-hole the illegals try to claim it is. It's just that to become middle class in Mexico, one must finish their equivalent of high school, delay having babies until they have finished and education, married and have a job.

If they won't do any of that, then the best thing is to get to the USA -- so we're getting that type. I have neighbors who have lived in this country over 20 years and cannot speak or understand English at all. It takes a serious lack of intellectual curiousity to live in a country for 20 years and never want to learn to converse with it's people or learn anything of it's culture.
Your characterization of millions of people is so laughably cartoonish that it's pretty much impossible to take you at your word. I expect nothing less from this forum.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Your characterization of millions of people is so laughably cartoonish that it's pretty much impossible to take you at your word. I expect nothing less from this forum.
Malamute IS right: otherwise those millions of illegal aliens from Mexico would STAY in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or