U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,591,983 times
Reputation: 3399

Advertisements

I live on the border, so it happens all the time... I generally respond to them...

 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You are an out and out liar, I've stated many times that I have traveled to most parts of Mexico, I lived and studied in Mexico. I think you're trying to break the rules by not sticking to the topics but attempting to use personal attacks on people who you don't agree with...
No, you don't realize how low I devalue your opinion always put in the same in the same cornball terminology. How many times have you paraphrased the same sort of thing here?:

"Are you sure you have been to the border, because the illegal aliens pass right in front of the Border Patrol here, and spit on the agents as they pass too, going straight to the welfare office when they are pregnant with 3 babies, and pulling a dozen more kids, to get that free, easy citizenship Obama promised them.".

It's not a personal attack to say my opinion of what you say is only useful for its pure comedic value, but you have your "perfect storm" captive audience here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...We all get it -- you want no enforcement of the immigration laws, you want huge rewards for those who break the laws including those who commit felony document fraud. I don't want that.
You missed it, why would I do a completely correct process to immigrate my family if I believed that? You want to tell stories for effect here, I really don't know who you want to impress. You don't care about immigration laws, because you think that there really isn't any legal immigration from Mexico, it is all "money-grubbing", "welfare-grabbing", "green card marriages" in your opinion.
 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Reputation: 18598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I guess having flaming red hair keeps people from speaking Spanish to me. But; I've known several "Hispanic" looking anglos or Black people catch hell for NOT speaking Spanish from real Hispanics.
I have flaming red hair too (at least before I started going grayish, lol), but used to live in a Hispanic-heavy neighborhood with a half-Mexican roommate who didn't speak Spanish - while I'm nearly fluent myself. I still remember the time we went to a burrito place, and the cashier automatically turned to HER and asked for our order in Spanish... she looked at me for help, so I translated and then answered him instead. He looked very confused for a moment, then asked me (in Spanish) "why do you speak the language, but your Mexican-looking friend does not?" I explained that she was raised by a single mother, and it was her father who has the Hispanic blood. We all found the whole thing rather amusing, and it wasn't the first or last time a similar situation occurred.

Who cares, though? If you don't understand, just say "no habla" and be on your way. If they want to learn English they will, as most eventually do, but in the meantime there's no reason to be rude to them. I'd also like to know how the OP can identify an "illegal," simply by virtue of being in a place where they exist. I've been to the town of San Quentin many times, and didn't assume everyone there was an ex-con or prison employee.
 
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
 
2,366 posts, read 2,017,221 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'd also like to know how the OP can identify an "illegal," simply by virtue of being in a place where they exist. I've been to the town of San Quentin many times, and didn't assume everyone there was an ex-con or prison employee.
I don't think he does identify them. He just doesn't like Hispanics regardless if they are legal or not and assumes they are illegal to justify his dislike towards them.
 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Michigan
2,198 posts, read 2,151,463 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
You speak Spanish as fluently as my dog speaks Latin. I'd bet my life on it.
Yep.
 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 AM
 
9,665 posts, read 8,315,150 times
Reputation: 3225
I lived in South Florida. I've had citizens in the voting line speak to me in Spanish. Replied in Russian instead, despite knowing Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top