U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM

6,948 posts, read 2,030,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Immigration reform: bring back the laws for immigration of 1964.
Ha ha ha...you wait for that to happen!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
Quote:
Immigration reform: bring back the laws for immigration of 1964.
If and when Pax Americana ends, I suspect historians will point to the immigration Act of 1965 as the beginning of the end. I have been saying this for awhile I just wasn't expecting the possibility of such an event occurring in my lifetime.

I say this as an indirect beneficiary of the law.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Agreed. In many ways LBJ ruined this country. However, I believe the original National Origins Act, allowed an unlimited amount of Mexicans to come to this country; Mexico I don't think had any kind of quota.
Time to put a stop to "unlimited Mexicans" here; they're plenty of legal aliens from there. Let other countries have a go like Argentina, South Africa, Nigeria and so on.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Ha ha ha...you wait for that to happen!
Did anyone expect to see a "Black" POTUS so soon after the Jim Crow laws were banned? In other words: it would NOT surprise me to see immigration laws go the other way. It already happened in 1920.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM

66 posts, read 53,149 times
Obamaís focus on immigration: ignoring black issues once again? Obama’s focus on immigration: ignoring black issues once again? - The Root DC Live - The Washington Post

An increasing number of blacks appear to finally be getting angry with President Obama and his policies. Itís just too bad it took four years and voting for the president a second time for blacks to realize the president wonít prioritize their issues. Immigration and the presidentís determination to get legislation passed granting amnesty to an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants seems to be the straw that broke some black liberalsí backs.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Did anyone expect to see a "Black" POTUS so soon after the Jim Crow laws were banned? In other words: it would NOT surprise me to see immigration laws go the other way. It already happened in 1920.
Nothing surprises me these days...but it's highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1 View Post
Obama’s focus on immigration: ignoring black issues once again? Obama’s focus on immigration: ignoring black issues once again? - The Root DC Live - The Washington Post

An increasing number of blacks appear to finally be getting angry with President Obama and his policies. It’s just too bad it took four years and voting for the president a second time for blacks to realize the president won’t prioritize their issues. Immigration and the president’s determination to get legislation passed granting amnesty to an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants seems to be the straw that broke some black liberals’ backs.
Stuff like this is why other groups of African origin should have a separate box or keep marking "other" as some already do...smh.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM

164 posts, read 265,053 times
I lost 2 jobs because I can only speak English.

First job, I worked at Pay-less Shoes in south LA on Vermont and even though I had exceptional skills in sales, I was laid off because I couldn't keep up with my conversion due to half of the customers being non- English speakers.

Second job, I worked at Sears in Glendale. Once again, because I couldn't keep up with StoreToHome sales in the shoe department because of the lack of communication with non- English speakers, despite my exceptional customer service skills that everyone complemented me on, I was laid off due to under performance. I was laid off by the new manager who just so happened to be Hispanic.

You will only find that allot of labor jobs require you to speak Spanish first before you have to speak English. You will find yourself being part of the "bitter" population of America Obama talked about. I guess your a racist if your bitter because you lost 2 jobs due to illegal immigrants who cant speak English. I guess I'm just a bitter poor gun swinging bible thumping christian fundamentalist for being a working class person who wasn't privileged enough to grow up in some middle class suburb without all of the illegal immigration.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post

First job, I worked at Pay-less Shoes in south LA on Vermont and even though I had exceptional skills in sales, I was laid off because I couldn't keep up with my conversion due to half of the customers being non- English speakers.

Second job, I worked at Sears in Glendale. Once again, because I couldn't keep up with StoreToHome sales in the shoe department because of the lack of communication with non- English speakers, despite my exceptional customer service skills that everyone complemented me on, I was laid off due to under performance. I was laid off by the new manager who just so happened to be Hispanic.

You will only find that allot of labor jobs require you to speak Spanish first before you have to speak English. You will find yourself being part of the "bitter" population of America Obama talked about. I guess your a racist if your bitter because you lost 2 jobs due to illegal immigrants who cant speak English. I guess I'm just a bitter poor gun swinging bible thumping christian fundamentalist for being a working class person who wasn't privileged enough to grow up in some middle class suburb without all of the illegal immigration.
Sorry that has happened to you. Sadly California is something the rest of the country should see as their future if illegal immigration is not controlled. I would write local & state politicians on the issue & draw support. It makes no sense you should be forced to learn Spanish because of illegal immigration.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I think the illegals have been getting away with stealing jobs from blacks for a long time.. If they become "legal" then they can aggressively take away even more jobs that blacks need and others too. Obama needs to help long standing american citizens especially blacks BEFORE he worrys about all these illegals... Funny he NEVER talks about the illegal part that deals with the penalties for being here illegal...why is that? THE FRIGGIN LAWS HAVENT EVAPORATED.....
Stealing ???

You mean giving them away, as 95% of Black Americans voted for Obama ( many based solely on race alone) and to put themselves and their children at risk, so enjoy !!!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post

Are you the first generation born in the U.S.? 2nd? Are you a minority? Are these jobs your second jobs?

If not, while I understand not growing up privileged, this is the land of opportunity. Unless you are have a degree and the economy is making it difficult to find employment, why are you competing with these people these types of jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration