Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Are you the first generation born in the U.S.? 2nd? Are you a minority? Are these jobs your second jobs?

If not, while I understand not growing up privileged, this is the land of opportunity. Unless you are have a degree and the economy is making it difficult to find employment, why are you competing with these people these types of jobs?
Does this matter?

He speaks English & should not have to stoop down to illegals to get a job.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,165,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Does this matter?

He speaks English & should not have to stoop down to illegals to get a job.
Yes, it does. If you are a generational American, why in the world are you competing with supposed illegal immigrants for the jobs they do? Especially if you are a generational white American and have not had deal with generations of discrimination based on your skin color, why are you competing with these people? Sounds much like you or many in your past may have wasted opportunities but yet have a sense of entitlement. I'm just asking for an explanation...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM

157 posts, read 137,198 times
Now sales/retail jobs are "jobs Americans won't do?" There are a variety of reasons that an individual cannot perform jobs which require higher education or advanced training. There is no reason why any citizen of any nation, regardless of race or ethnicity, should have to lose a job due to out of control illegal immigration.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Now sales/retail jobs are "jobs Americans won't do?" There are a variety of reasons that an individual cannot perform jobs which require higher education or advanced training. There is no reason why any citizen of any nation, regardless of race or ethnicity, should have to lose a job due to out of control illegal immigration.
Who said that those were jobs Americans won't do?

Anyway, perhaps if they were more motivated, they would be less likely to be competing against these people for jobs. IJS.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,038 times
Quote:
Yes, it does. If you are a generational American, why in the world are you competing with supposed illegal immigrants for the jobs they do? Especially if you are a generational white American and have not had deal with generations of discrimination based on your skin color, why are you competing with these people? Sounds much like you or many in your past may have wasted opportunities but yet have a sense of entitlement. I'm just asking for an explanation...
It should not matter.

You are saying low skill jobs should be for illegals, which is un American.

Any job should be for an American or legal resident English speaker. We should not have to stoop down to compete/fight with people that don't belong here.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM

164 posts, read 347,052 times
Quote:
Are you the first generation born in the U.S.? 2nd? Are you a minority? Are these jobs your second jobs?

If not, while I understand not growing up privileged, this is the land of opportunity. Unless you are have a degree and the economy is making it difficult to find employment, why are you competing with these people these types of jobs?
No. I'm black. Grew up in South LA. And I've already enrolled in a CC and will have my associates in communications in June. I'm transferring to Cal State Northridge this fall. Still, its hard here in Los Angeles looking for low skilled jobs because the Immigrants have them all or you have t0 speak Spanish.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It should not matter.

You are saying low skill jobs should be for illegals, which is un American.

Any job should be for an American or legal resident English speaker. We should not have to stoop down to compete/fight with people that don't belong here.
No, that's not at all my point. My point is that IF you are taking advantage of the opportunities afforded to you, especially when you have had to deal with certain hurdles...then you should be highly unlikely to run into issues with illegal immigrants. That doesn't change the fact that illegal immigration is a problem that needs to be rectified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
No. I'm black. Grew up in South LA. And I've already enrolled in a CC and will have my associates in communications in June. I'm transferring to Cal State Northridge this fall. Still, its hard here in Los Angeles looking for low skilled jobs because the Immigrants have them all or you have t0 speak Spanish.
Gotcha...well then I can understand. You are making your way up. Are you studying a foreign language?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM

255 posts, read 219,327 times
Quote:
Well, I'm glad for his focus. Immigration reform doesn't only affect Hispanics.
If it was my decision to make I would pull our troops out of the Middle East and deploy them along our southern border. I would militarize it until we have some of our own problems fixed first. I would deport them all regardless of their situation. What other felony do we turn such a blind eye to exclusively due to race?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM

255 posts, read 219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
I'm happy for you going on to get your degree and proud to see one of my fellow Americans working to improve himself. I myself live in SLC UT and this place is a harbor for illegals to offload because they are told that they will be accepted here. With that in mind it is difficult to get a job when you don't speak Spanish. The size of the population that doesn't even bother to learn the native language is staggering. I am a white Christian male, and what I have experienced is that unless we bend over backward and inconvenience ourselves and accommodate them, then we are racist or insensitive to their situation.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM

62,859 posts, read 29,092,032 times
Quote:

A U.S. citizen has the right to apply for any job they want in this country. If they want to be a ditch digger that's their business. Are you saying that certain jobs Americans should have no right to do? Are you implying that Americans should leave certain jobs to non-English speaking illegal immigrants? You can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.