U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,534,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post

If you're not here legally, that makes you...... ILLEGAL.

LOL!!!!! That looks like Jackie Chan!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM

4,375 posts, read 2,649,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
LOL!!!!! That looks like Jackie Chan!
That's because it is him!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,555,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the shame does not belong him or them it belongs to us, every time we hire pedro to cut our lawn and fix our roof while our unemployed grown son sits on the couch.
If people keep employing illegals KNOWINGLY, what do you expect? You are no better than the corporation who are job creators for illegals.

A bit off topic, but since you brought it up: how about you get your unemployed grown son off the couch and let him "work" for his keep? He could probably use the exercise after sitting around on the couch every day freeloading off of mommy and daddy.

Oh, wait, cutting the lawn and fixing the roof is below sonny's station in life and that's not what he went to college for.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 AM

9,112 posts, read 5,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the shame does not belong him or them it belongs to us, every time we hire pedro to cut our lawn and fix our roof while our unemployed grown son sits on the couch.
Although I do agree with you somewhat, the fact is the moment they stepped foot in our country illegally they become criminals. And yes shame on some of us that hire these criminals.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 AM

31,654 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
You missed his point. He said that he hires the willing workers to care for his lawn because his own son is too lazy to get off his butt and help out.
No actually what he was trying to do is stereotype regular Americans and our youth as either hiring illegal immigrants or being lazy. For the most part that isn't true but he wanted to blame regular Americans rather than blaming the cheap "business" owners and the illegals themselves. It was pretty obvious what he was trying to do.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,301,713 times
It'd be a WHOLE LOT "Cooler" if Vargas was deported and given a 10 ban from coming back to the US.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,579,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It does not make it seem like they're in the same boat.

It points out the fact that they're in the same boat.

"Undocumented" means they left their copy of the program at home when they went to the school play.

"Illegal" means they broke the law.

"Illegal" is the correct and accurate term.
Actually, you are wrong. .

But describing an immigrant as illegal is legally inaccurate. Being in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one.

Read more: U.S. Immigration: Why Calling Undocumented People 'Illegal' Is Wrong | TIME.com

Of course I'm a free market libertarian on economics and social liberal. So I find that any interference from the US government in a business ability to hire and a employee's ability to take a job is not needed. . .and unjust. . .So I would be just as proud of being an Illegal immigrant as i would be hiding Jews from the Nazis.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Actually, you are wrong. .

But describing an immigrant as illegal is legally inaccurate. Being in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one.

Read more: U.S. Immigration: Why Calling Undocumented People 'Illegal' Is Wrong | TIME.com

Of course I'm a free market libertarian on economics and social liberal. So I find that any interference from the US government in a business ability to hire and a employee's ability to take a job is not needed. . .and unjust. . .So I would be just as proud of being an Illegal immigrant as i would be hiding Jews from the Nazis.
So no country in the world has a right to immigration laws that for one thing protects their citizen's jobs? If employers were given free reign to hire anyone they want to they could get away with paying slave labor wages, discriminate against Americans and hiring a 12 year old if they so chose. Are you serious?

You yourself admit that it is legally accurate to call an immigrant in this country without authorization "illegal" yet you post some link denoting the opposite? Hilarous since the article you linked to was written by an illegal immigrant. Guess whatever he says goes?

So one should be proud of being a lawbreaker? Whether it be a civil or criminal offense is irrelevant. What is relevant is that they are here in violation of our immigration laws. Hiding Jews from the Nazis? Again, are you serious?

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-14-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,534,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No actually what he was trying to do is stereotype regular Americans and our youth as either hiring illegal immigrants or being lazy. For the most part that isn't true but he wanted to blame regular Americans rather than blaming the cheap "business" owners and the illegals themselves. It was pretty obvious what he was trying to do.
I, for one, refuse to hire day labor for domestic help, although I used to long ago. But I can say that I also hired American teens to do the same tasks, and guess who did a much more accomplished job? Now, if we can't do it ourselves then we pay professionals to have it done.

Americans DO share a responsibility in this, because low-paying jobs used to be typical for the school kids, and the unskilled (I'm old enough to remember it). In the last two to three decades Americans developed the attitude that those jobs aren't good enough for them, that they're reserved only for migrant workers. I don't know what the unskilled do for work anymore; maybe they're the ones setting up meth stations.

Yes, the primary blame of the broken workforce goes to business owners. Construction is a good example. Hammering nails USED to be decent-paying work that was sought after. That changed when they they discovered cheap labor and got stingy. Too bad that all the money "saved" in that hiring practice did not reflect itself in the cost of housing!

But I understand the poster completely. His son isn't the only one who doesn't want to work ~ I have friends dealing with the same issues from their adult children. If this poster is on limited income, sure I understand him hiring illegals to help him out (although it doesn't help the invasion problem by doing that).

Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I, for one, refuse to hire day labor for domestic help, although I used to long ago. But I can say that I also hired American teens to do the same tasks, and guess who did a much more accomplished job? Now, if we can't do it ourselves then we pay professionals to have it done.

Americans DO share a responsibility in this, because low-paying jobs used to be typical for the school kids, and the unskilled (I'm old enough to remember it). In the last two to three decades Americans developed the attitude that those jobs aren't good enough for them, that they're reserved only for migrant workers. I don't know what the unskilled do for work anymore; maybe they're the ones setting up meth stations.

Yes, the primary blame of the broken workforce goes to business owners. Construction is a good example. Hammering nails USED to be decent-paying work that was sought after. That changed when they got stingy when they discovered cheap labor. Too bad that all the money "saved" in that hiring practice did not reflect itself in the cost of housing!

But I understand the poster completely. His son isn't the only one who doesn't want to work ~ I have friends dealing with the same issues from their adult children. If this poster is on limited income, sure I understand him hiring illegals to help him out (although it doesn't help the invasion problem by doing that).
I don't know where you are getting this. Many of the jobs that illegal immigrants are holding are entry level jobs that our our youth and less educated adults have always done and that hasn't changed. Many of them are jobs that our blue-collared workforce has always done such as construction and are still williing to do for a fair wage. You are stereotyping the American worker unfairly and inaccurately just because of a few lazy Americans. Please stop drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid and the propaganda that they spread.

The poster you are referring to wasn't claiming that his own son is sitting on couch refusing to work. He was stereotyping the American worker just like you are doing.

No illegal immigrant has the right to be here nor to work here and no citizen has the right to hire them no matter what their financial state is. It is against the law....bottom line.....no excuses.

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or