U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,556,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No illegal immigrant has the right to be here nor to work here and no citizen has the right to hire them no matter what their financial state is. It is against the law....bottom line.....no excuses.
And I agree with you 110% with this.

But when is the last time you saw an American cleaning hotel rooms or washing dishes in a restaurant? For that matter, line cooking and fast-food chains? I don't know where you live but here we have about a 20% migrant population, and that IS the class who works these jobs. Those jobs have always been low to minimum wage jobs (except construction).

I have read a topic on another CD forum about working minimum-wage jobs and was appalled by a lot of the comments people made about "not working hard" for a minimum-wage job. IF their viewpoints are shared by the majority then small wonder that so many employers DO prefer migrant help.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM

10,584 posts, read 7,986,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Actually, you are wrong.
Actually, I'm right.

They violated the US code by crossing the border illegally. That's a criminal act, punishable in CRIMINAL court by fines and/or imprisonment. Same as robbing a bank or stealing an old lady's purse.

People who crossed the border illegally are criminals, no more.

"Illegal alien" is the correct and acccurate term.

"Undocumented worker" isn't - it's merely an attempt to hide the truth.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
And I agree with you 110% with this.

But when is the last time you saw an American cleaning hotel rooms or washing dishes in a restaurant? For that matter, line cooking and fast-food chains? I don't know where you live but here we have about a 20% migrant population, and that IS the class who works these jobs. Those jobs have always been low to minimum wage jobs (except construction).

I have read a topic on another CD forum about working minimum-wage jobs and was appalled by a lot of the comments people made about "not working hard" for a minimum-wage job. IF their viewpoints are shared by the majority then small wonder that so many employers DO prefer migrant help.
Oh please, I have seen plenty of Americans washing dishes, cleanng hotel rooms. etc. over the years. How do I know they were Americans? Because I have seen many that are blacks or whites and they aren't usually the ones in our country illegally. Are you just totally ignoring my comments that many of those jobs are entry level jobs for our American youth and that we have always had a large blue-collared American workforce in our country? Those jobs are getting scarcer and scarcer though due to the large illegal immigrant workforce we have in our country now. The employers are hiring them to increase their profits not because they are better workers than Americans or legal immigrants or that they can't find a legal workforce.

Stop drinking the pro-illegal immigant kool-aid. Are you saying that not even legal immigrants will do those jobs? And please stop with the negative stereotyping of the American worker as being lazy.

Why are you feigning outrage over this while defendiing these greedy employers and their illegal workforce at the same time? Talking out of both sides of one's mouth doesn't make for a cohesive or viable argument.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Illegal makes it seem like their in the same boat as drug dealers. Undocumented. . .is the politically correct term
Politically Correct? The Federal Government term for them is "illegal alien" or "illegal immigrant", those terms are in the USC and the INA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the shame does not belong him or them it belongs to us, every time we hire pedro to cut our lawn and fix our roof while our unemployed grown son sits on the couch.
If you hire Juan to cut your lawn instead of a reputable lawn care company, then yes the blame falls on you. If the reputable company uses them without knowledge due to the I-9 requirements they issued, then how can the blame fall on "us"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
So why didn't the secret service or law enforcement arrest the man?
That is the question.

Quote:
Actually, you are wrong. .

But describing an immigrant as illegal is legally inaccurate. Being in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one.

Read more: U.S. Immigration: Why Calling Undocumented People 'Illegal' Is Wrong | TIME.com

Of course I'm a free market libertarian on economics and social liberal. So I find that any interference from the US government in a business ability to hire and a employee's ability to take a job is not needed. . .and unjust. . .So I would be just as proud of being an Illegal immigrant as i would be hiding Jews from the Nazis.
Actually, both you and Vargas (your link) are wrong. Entering Without Inspection (Federal Misdemeanor) and or entering using forged documents (Federal Felony - as was the case with Vargas per your own link) are criminal violations of the INA (Immigration/Administrative Law), thus they are illegal aliens or illegal immigrants. Entering on a visa or through the VWP and remaining passed your date of leave is an Administrative offense equal to a civil offense, thus an "out of status" immigrant. What Vargas is quoting out of context from Justice Kennedy pertains to the ability of the Federal Govt to grant deferred action, granting a "lawful status" to be here without granting legality. This can only be done if the illegal or overstay has deportation orders for removal against him/her. This is what DACA does without changing their illegal status, thy are only lawfully here, not legally here.

Vargas and/or the "drop the 'I' campaign" are nothing more than advocates using social media to attempt to lessen the anger towards them by falsifying the facts against themselves which they hope grants them sympathy for their own gain.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 02-14-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You've worn the link out.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,854,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
You believe the gall of these people....

Maybe we should start showing these illegals more respect like Mexico does with their illegals---Shoot them between the eyes!

Jose Antonio Vargas, an illegal immigrant and former reporter, scolded a congressional panel on Wednesday, saying that he should not be called illegal, and saying it is an insult to his family who brought him here.
“When you inaccurately call me illegal, you not only dehumanize me, you’re offending them,” he said. “No human being is illegal.”

Illegal immigrant tells Congress not to call him illegal - Washington Times
Okay, what should we call him, "Nationally Misplaced"? I agree with this poster. A lot of gall.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,556,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why are you feigning outrage over this while defendiing these greedy employers and their illegal workforce at the same time? Talking out of both sides of one's mouth doesn't make for a cohesive or viable argument.

Perhaps I am better able to see both sides of the issue than you are, whereas your view is myopic.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Politically Correct? The Federal Government term for them is "illegal alien" or "illegal immigrant", those terms are in the USC and the INA.
Exactly. While serving as a member of a federal grand jury, we did not receive one indictment involving illegal border crossers that did not state their immigration status as ILLEGAL ALIEN. In fact, we never saw the term illegal immigrant. And, I served recently, it wasn't years ago.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,131,823 times
What Chutzpah!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Perhaps I am better able to see both sides of the issue than you are, whereas your view is myopic.
There are no gray areas where our laws are concerned. My views are myopic? Evidently you haven't read up on the negative impact that illegal immigrants impose on our society or perhaps you just don't care? Now that's myopic. Far too many that think like you take the moral highground on this issue all in the name of compassion when there is no compassion for one's own fellow citzens. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or