U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 493,688 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I came from the Phillipines legally and worked my way up to be "naturalized". As many Filipinos that come to America, we come for a better life and more oportunities. Our country was a Spanish colony just like Mexico for about 300 years. In 1898 the US and Spain had a war and the US won that battle. In such, they aquired all the Spanish territories such as Puerto Rico and the Philippines. One difference the Filipinos has done is reject the Spanish language and adopt English. When Filipinos came to the US via Hawaii they were just low wage workers that took any job they can. Mostly working in the fields in the Central Valley along side their Mexican counter parts. What I don't agree on is why the "hispanics" (anyone speaking spanish as a native language) are reluctant to learn English as a whole? Well, you cant really blame them because no one is really stopping them from doing it. We have as a society that adapted to their needs by being "bi-langual". But its really not Bi-Langual becuase it only catered to the "Spanish Speaking". I dont see anyone catering to "Tagalog or Japanese or Mandarin or Cambodian". Maybe in some small instances, but not in the masses. If you go to France and you dont speak French, they will laugh in your face or ignore you. They dont want to cater to anyone other than speaking the French language. Most countries are like this unless you have a large English speaking tourism economy. As a Filipino/American I speak english 99% of the time, and I am proud to speak it even though I still know my native language of Tagalog. I encourage the Hispanic community to try and learn the English Language because it is bennificial for all the citizens to speak a common language( and its not going to be Spanish). Its not all about a "racial bias" but its all for a common nationality (being American). I dont want to bend over backwards to learn Spanish because America's language is "English" The British did colonize this country.

Another thing I do notice about "hispanics" is they have a division between them also. They have social class racism between them. I found this true between Salvadorians and Mexicans. I know someone who employs undocumented aliens from both countries and they do not like to work with each other. there is jelousy or hatred there. I'm not sure what is behind this, but it might be social class or political. I also find this between Puerto Ricans and Cubans, or even Mexicans or Vice-Versa.

Does everyone have a legal right to be here in the USA? NO WAY, it is a privilage to be here in the USA and you have to earn that right to come here "LEGALLY" and obey the laws of the United States (YOU HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE). Filipinos can't all come here because there is a lot of ocean between us. They work in other countries like Japan, Korea, Brunie, Dubai, Saudi Arabia..etc.. on temporary worker status to send money home (the Phillipines is a very poor counrty, in fact Mexico has a large GDP than most of South East Asia) They do this "LEGALLY". Maybe those people crossing the border without proper paperwork should think about what they are doing is a crime againts the hand that is feeding them.

On the other hand, the US needs to get off their "comfort zone" and start defending the borders, deport all undocumented aliens (hispanics and other races/nationalities), punish all those who hire undocumented workers and put them in jail. Put our national guard at the border with tanks, mines, fences and 50 cal machine guns on top of Humvees. Now, how can this be racist?? we just want to protect our border just like any country in this world has a right to. Anyone want to try to cross into China from North Korea? I think you might make it for about 50 ft. and you'll have a AK-47 in your face. Are the Chinese being racist?? I think not!

This wont happen MOD CUT. I love this country and I hope it doesn't self destruct because no one in our government has the guts to stand up for its citizens and protect its borders.


are you racist????? imo ...no way...these are just the same things i have tried to say to the proillegal crowd, there is nothing wrong with you wanting to protect your border...
and you are a shining example of a legal immigrant....thank you for caring about your homeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,450 posts, read 5,311,350 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Northern Mexico is still very poor. The point is, when you are faced with oppression and not having a chance to evolve your family...well many will seek other means.
I know your point mr. thunderheart. But the fact it is still Illigal and these people are just ignoring that. On the other side, Our government is also to blame because they have to guts to defend the border. I know you really cant blame them 100% because it is America's problem and not Mexico's. One more thing I wanted to say was when I came to the US. I was screened for many 3rd world diseases that I may have. If I was infected, there is no way I would have gotten my VISA. Now, how many of those Illigal immigrants are screened? How about all the Criminals and Gang members that come over? MS13 is real and they are very violent. Our government really have to step it up to the plate or we will all suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Denver
8,052 posts, read 9,806,599 times
Reputation: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I know your point mr. thunderheart. But the fact it is still Illigal and these people are just ignoring that. On the other side, Our government is also to blame because they have to guts to defend the border. I know you really cant blame them 100% because it is America's problem and not Mexico's. One more thing I wanted to say was when I came to the US. I was screened for many 3rd world diseases that I may have. If I was infected, there is no way I would have gotten my VISA. Now, how many of those Illigal immigrants are screened? How about all the Criminals and Gang members that come over? MS13 is real and they are very violent. Our government really have to step it up to the plate or we will all suffer.
Yes some bad come over, the process should be followed for legality, it wasn't enforced as you said. To illegals there is the promise of better pay once they come and a better life for their families.

Still no reason to chastise them all and add to the already existing anger towards our neighbors to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,991,605 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Northern Mexico is still very poor. The point is, when you are faced with oppression and not having a chance to evolve your family...well many will seek other means.
Are you sure that you did not mean southern Mexico?

Nuevo Leon is one of the weathiest states SOB.

And many of the truly poor states are Oaxaca and Chiapas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 493,688 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I know your point mr. thunderheart. But the fact it is still Illigal and these people are just ignoring that. On the other side, Our government is also to blame because they have to guts to defend the border. I know you really cant blame them 100% because it is America's problem and not Mexico's. One more thing I wanted to say was when I came to the US. I was screened for many 3rd world diseases that I may have. If I was infected, there is no way I would have gotten my VISA. Now, how many of those Illigal immigrants are screened? How about all the Criminals and Gang members that come over? MS13 is real and they are very violent. Our government really have to step it up to the plate or we will all suffer.

the only thing i dont agree with is this....you say it is americas problem, and not mexico's...
when 20+ million people illegally immigrate from one country to another, doesnt matter what country is immigrating, or where they are immigrating to, there is a problem...
a real problem that the country that people are fleeing from must face and address...because immigration in those numbers mean there is a problem that must be taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,450 posts, read 5,311,350 times
Reputation: 809
Still no reason to chastise them all and add to the already existing anger towards our neighbors to the south.[/quote]

The only reason I can think of is "illegal" which puts them as "not law abiding" but law breakers. I encourage them to come, but with Legal papers only please! I have no sympathy for that plain and simple.

I think we would have a different conversation if China was sending millions of illegals here and they are undercutting the hispanics in wages. Can you imagine all the hispanics going back home because all the Chinese took their jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,450 posts, read 5,311,350 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
the only thing i dont agree with is this....you say it is americas problem, and not mexico's...
when 20+ million people illegally immigrate from one country to another, doesnt matter what country is immigrating, or where they are immigrating to, there is a problem...
a real problem that the country that people are fleeing from must face and address...because immigration in those numbers mean there is a problem that must be taken care of.
I say it is America's problem is because our government doesn't protect our borders(to the full extent it is capable off) The United States military can handle that job right? Mexico is basically just sitting and watching what the USA will do. They gain a lot by having this occur, so for them its a win-win. I guess we dont see that problem from the Northern border because Canada is a 1st world country and there is no need to come here illigally right? Maybe not in the numbers as the south, but it still happends because the Northern border is so wide open. I think as Americans of all nationalities, we need to stand up and elect a government that will protect our borders and our immigration laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 PM
 
140 posts, read 7,588 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Don't you think all of Latin America would be pissed if the United States started killing their people?


I think that the United States have every right to protects it people from foreign invaders. To suggest that Mexico, who by your own volition is starving to death, would even consider waging war with the only Superpower on earth is laughable. Would it create bad pr? To be sure! But at the end of the day the rest of the world would think twice before making the decision to invade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,450 posts, read 5,311,350 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
I think that the United States have every right to protects it people from foreign invaders. To suggest that Mexico, who by your own volition is starving to death, would even consider waging war with the only Superpower on earth is laughable. Would it create bad pr? To be sure! But at the end of the day the rest of the world would think twice before making the decision to invade.
Good point, Mexico is not the poorest country in the world by far. There is poverty, but I dont think there is starvation like in African countries for example. Its plain and simple as a Citizen I pledged to defend my country and I have that right to do so. The United States is a Sovereign Nation and has the RIGHT to defend itself. If only our politicians would do something about it!

Last edited by AA702; 10-22-2007 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 493,688 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I say it is America's problem is because our government doesn't protect our borders(to the full extent it is capable off) The United States military can handle that job right? Mexico is basically just sitting and watching what the USA will do. They gain a lot by having this occur, so for them its a win-win. I guess we dont see that problem from the Northern border because Canada is a 1st world country and there is no need to come here illigally right? Maybe not in the numbers as the south, but it still happends because the Northern border is so wide open. I think as Americans of all nationalities, we need to stand up and elect a government that will protect our borders and our immigration laws.

couldnt agree with you more, i do believe the immigration problem we are facing and have been facing over the past years is due to government...some greed in politics, and some sleeping on the job...we as citizens are required to question our government if we do not agree...we have the right to demand a vote on issues that concern our country.
if enough demand it, they will have to listen.
i questioned why the court allowed the illegal who almost killed my husband out of jail knowing he was an illegal,yet still to this day have no-one who will accept the responsibility...no-one is accountable...and that has got to change...but i am only one voice...another flying bug.
i dont want one more person injured by an illegal.
i dont think , though it is all the american governments fault or problem, and maybe we may have to agree to disagree,the fact is there are laws, and entering a country illegally in some countries is punishable with harsher measures than deportation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top