U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,842,536 times

Advertisements

For those of you that think that illegal aliens should stay in the United States, how about a sponsorship program. If you are single, you can sponsor one illegal alien. If you are a couple, you can sponsor a couple. A family can sponsor a family. You sponsor them for 5 years. During those five years the illegal aliens have to be gainfully employed and stay out of jail, no felonies and no serious misdemeanors (they cannot have criminal records to be sponsored either). If, during those five years they become unemployed/dependent, you the sponsor have to support them, as well as pay for their medical needs. If they commit a crime, you the sponsor have to pay their attorney's fees. As I said, if after the 5 years they have shown that they are and can be gainfully employed and can obey the laws, then they can be granted the right to stay. If not, they go back to whatever country they came from (and no, I don't mean just Mexicans and South Americans either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

31,461 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
For those of you that think that illegal aliens should stay in the United States, how about a sponsorship program. If you are single, you can sponsor one illegal alien. If you are a couple, you can sponsor a couple. A family can sponsor a family. You sponsor them for 5 years. During those five years the illegal aliens have to be gainfully employed and stay out of jail, no felonies and no serious misdemeanors (they cannot have criminal records to be sponsored either). If, during those five years they become unemployed/dependent, you the sponsor have to support them, as well as pay for their medical needs. If they commit a crime, you the sponsor have to pay their attorney's fees. As I said, if after the 5 years they have shown that they are and can be gainfully employed and can obey the laws, then they can be granted the right to stay. If not, they go back to whatever country they came from (and no, I don't mean just Mexicans and South Americans either).
One of the problems with your idea is that it would mean all of these sponsored illegals will be able to compete for jobs against Americans and continue to stress and dilute our natural and social resources. What about them giving birth on our soil and via these babies they would be able to tap into our welfare coffers? This also means more crowding of our schools and healthcare facilities. I don't think you have thought through the negative of your ideas.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Good idea -- only make sure the sponsors of the illegals actually follow through with the financial support of their immigrant, which is not how it has worked out with the family sponsors. But why only 5 years? Those immigrants will have financial needs for much longer than 5 years. I think the sponsors should provide support for their immigrants for the whole lifetime of the immigrant or while the immigrant stays here.

The sponsor must provide their immigrant a good health care insurance, provide them housing and pay their maternity care costs.

We don't need more immigrants obviously because there are not jobs for Americans as it is, but the immigration system is unfair in that all that is required for most immigrants is to have some kind of family member here to sponsor them, but the sponsor is not actually required to provide real financial support and it's for far too short of a time.

Limit family sponsorhip to legal spouse and minor children, and hold the sponsor responsible for ALL costs of their immigrant and for much longer than 5 years. The sponsor should also be required to pay into social security taxes and an additional retirement plan for their immigrant so that the immigrant never becomes a taxpayer burden. And if the sponsor isn't willing to add the immigrant as a joint owner of bank accounts, then it's questionable that they really intend to support their immigrant.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One of the problems with your idea is that it would mean all of these sponsored illegals will be able to compete for jobs against Americans and continue to stress and dilute our natural and social resources. What about them giving birth on our soil and via these babies they would be able to tap into our welfare coffers? This also means more crowding of our schools and healthcare facilities. I don't think you have thought through the negative of your ideas.
True -- combined immigration rates should be tied with unemployment rates. If unemployment rates go down to 2 or 3%, then there could be immigration. Currently there are far too few jobs, and far too many jobs are low-paying which means we need no immigrants for now.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,450,757 times
Great idea//Let them all go back to where they are suppose to be and one by one let americans in this time of great wealth and prosperity agree to be financially responsible for them. Sorta like when you go to the dog pound and get a dog.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Great idea//Let them all go back to where they are suppose to be and one by one let americans in this time of great wealth and prosperity agree to be financially responsible for them. Sorta like when you go to the dog pound and get a dog.
Yes. One thing the illegals complain about is how easy it is for those with relatives of some kind living here to be brought over through family sponsorship.

In a way you can see that is highly unfair, some dolt with no abilities of any kind can be sponsored to come here legally while someone far more worth and willing to work hard but doesn't have a relative is out of luck. Family sponsors aren't expected to pay for a health insurance plan, they don't have to pay tuition for their immigrants, they don't have to provide them a retirement plan of any kind. We could replace them with true sponsors who would agree to provide full financial support of those they sponsor. If the immigrant chooses not to work at all -- they pay their whole costs. If the immigrant becomes disabled, they pay for them completely.

The other immigrants have to have needed work skills and have employer sponsorship -- obviously most illegals cannot find employer sponsors or at least not ones who would want to pay a living wages plus benefits like overtime and a good health insurance plan.

I think we could end the family sponsorship and replace it with the OP's suggestion only tightened up. Few family sponsors actually provide their immigrants a good health insurance plan or pay into a retirement plan for them. It would be better to replace the family sponsors with sponsors who actually pick up more of the costs of the immigrants and for a much longer period than 5 years.

That would cut out the unfair aspect there is in legal immigration. It would eliminate the huge advantage those with relatives here have.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
I don't like any plan that involves letting illegals stay.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,450,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't like any plan that involves letting illegals stay.
Well friend the fix is in that they are going to let most of them stay and they wont be made to do squat as far as paying for their crimes..

Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
My family has already done it, and she's a full citizen now with a clean record and long work history - still struggles with her English, but doing great otherwise.

Her story probably isn't what you all think about, though, since she really had no choice in fleeing her home country (they were in a civil war). But she did have to come here illegally, and apply for asylum/citizenship after arriving. We sponsored her travel, gave her a job and room to live in, and assisted with the legalization process. What, did you think all "illegals" were Mexican border-jumpers who came here for the healthcare?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM

31,461 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My family has already done it, and she's a full citizen now with a clean record and long work history - still struggles with her English, but doing great otherwise.

Her story probably isn't what you all think about, though, since she really had no choice in fleeing her home country (they were in a civil war). But she did have to come here illegally, and apply for asylum/citizenship after arriving. We sponsored her travel, gave her a job and room to live in, and assisted with the legalization process. What, did you think all "illegals" were Mexican border-jumpers who came here for the healthcare?
I don't think any of us have a problem with asylum seekers fleeing for their lives if that was your family member's case. I don't recall anyone of saying all illegals are Mexican border jumpers and I think you know that. There is a whole lot more involved than just seeking healthcare and all those other incentives have been mentioned in here before also. Let's keep it real, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or