Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

Of course people are upset, especially in Arizona. But what are we to do, deport 11 million people? That will never happen, ever. Secure the borders FIRST, then talk about doing something with the illegal aliens that are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Of course people are upset, especially in Arizona. But what are we to do, deport 11 million people? That will never happen, ever. Secure the borders FIRST, then talk about doing something with the illegal aliens that are here.
Close the borders now. Stop giving illegals' benefits and they'll leave on their own.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Close the borders now. Stop giving illegals' benefits and they'll leave on their own.
+

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 AM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
The border doesn't need to be closed but IMO the double layered fencing needs to be completed in the most porous areas. We need to continue with internal enforcement also instead of Obama promising them amnesty and refusing to deport any illegal immigrants that don't have a felony conviction. Those are incentives that are keeping them here and encouraging more to come here along with jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
You remind me of a coworker I had, everything came out of her mouth was "It can't be done." There are always simple solutions whenever someone says "It can't be done."

We don't need to deport 11 million people. Don't even need to cut off their access to benefit, even though I really like to.

Simply make a law that says "anybody here illegally have 5 years to leave the country voluntarily without penalty. After the 5 years, anybody caught illegally here are subject to 5 years mandatory prison time and will be barred for 20 years to become legal immigrant or enter US even their children or spouse are US citizen."

Does the left have the political will to do it?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Of course people are upset, especially in Arizona. Secure the borders FIRST, then talk about doing something with the illegal aliens that are here.
Let them self deport & enforce the law.

Quote:
But what are we to do, deport 11 million people?
Yes

Quote:
That will never happen, ever.
Can happen

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You remind me of a coworker I had, everything came out of her mouth was "It can't be done." There are always simple solutions whenever someone says "It can't be done."

We don't need to deport 11 million people. Don't even need to cut off their access to benefit, even though I really like to.

Simply make a law that says "anybody here illegally have 5 years to leave the country voluntarily without penalty. After the 5 years, anybody caught illegally here are subject to 5 years mandatory prison time and will be barred for 20 years to become legal immigrant or enter US even their children or spouse are US citizen."

Has nothing to do with left or right. I've explained this until I'm blue in the face. I am a 'leftie' and voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012. That doesn't mean I support his policies on immigration, but I'm not a single-issue voter.

I am vehemently anti-illegal immigration and anti-amnesty despite being a leftie. And no, I don't think EITHER party has the balls to do what SHOULD be done.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

I would prefer to see a program where illegals were only able to access emergency benefits, and that they were assessed a higher tax rates to offset the costs of illegal immigration.
After a decade or so of paying taxes at a higher rate than the legal population, they would earn their citizenship.
That seems fair, as it is the legal residents who have been burdened with the costs up to now.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I would prefer to see a program where illegals were only able to access emergency benefits, and that they were assessed a higher tax rates to offset the costs of illegal immigration.
After a decade or so of paying taxes at a higher rate than the legal population, they would earn their citizenship.
That seems fair, as it is the legal residents who have been burdened with the costs up to now.
That doesn't address the problem of unemployed Americans nor the added stress to our natural and social resouces by adding them permanently to our society. Nor does it take into account the desire to keep diversity alive in our country with immigration so that we still retain our national identity, culture and language. Since most illegal immigrants are from one ethnic/national group that isn't akin to diversity.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That doesn't address the problem of unemployed Americans nor the added stress to our natural and social resouces by adding them permanently to our society. Nor does it take into account the desire to keep diversity alive in our country with immigration so that we still retain our national identity, culture and language. Since most illegal immigrants are from one ethnic/national group that isn't akin to diversity.

Good points made. Think we have a problem with unemployed Americans now, just wait! I know what you mean about keeping diversity alive in this Country also.

Both sides have screwed us over on this issue, both sides, one side more, those votes mean more to them, then the feelings of most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration