U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm being as far fetched as any Christian who tries to use ancient texts written in completely different ancient cultures to apply to 21st century USA.
One way that you're off though is that Jesus described how to be as a person but he was not trying to control even his own country's government, must less our own. He was not about early rule, but the Kingdom of God.

It's kind of weird though -- you see some Catholic clergy trying to twist things, and the irony is that Mexico is a Catholic country and they want everyone fleeing it to get to the USA which is a secular nation but more Protestant influenced.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 AM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Leviticus 19:33-34

“‘When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

What say you Christians?
I'm not Christian.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 AM

30,116 posts, read 15,673,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I don't believe you know exactly what it is you are quoting.

This doesn't mean they are not to be held accountable for their crime.
Exactly right. This is so typical. Liberals (especially non-believers) will try to use scripture to trap Christians, and justify their own behavior, beliefs, or political views with out of context quotes. Problem is, they do not know what they are reading.

The OP must understand that we are also instructed to obey the laws of the land. Entering a country illegally is breaking the law, and therefore cause for arrest and deportation.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM

30,116 posts, read 15,673,683 times
Quote:
Yes, I know exactly what I am quoting.

I put it up for discussion.
If you know what you are quoting, what's to discuss?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 AM

11,920 posts, read 13,262,198 times
You can quote passages out of the bible to supplement both sides of any argument.

Either way, go sneak into Switzerland or Germany and read off your little quote. Doubt they'll be impressed. You think Vatican City would welcome any ol' migrant straggler in?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:05 AM

17,853 posts, read 11,758,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm not Christian.
Neither am I.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Exactly right. This is so typical. Liberals (especially non-believers) will try to use scripture to trap Christians, and justify their own behavior, beliefs, or political views with out of context quotes. Problem is, they do not know what they are reading.

The OP must understand that we are also instructed to obey the laws of the land. Entering a country illegally is breaking the law, and therefore cause for arrest and deportation.
Exactly right. This is so typical. Christians, especially conservatives will try to use scripture to control others, and justify their own behavior, beliefs, or political views with out of context quotes. Problem is, they do not know what they are reading. Actually, most I come across have never even read the whole Bible let alone studied it.

Have you ever read Leviticus Ch 19 before?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,487,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I don't believe you know exactly what it is you are quoting.

So lets break it down by verse.

19:33 - When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.

In today's world that would be an immigrant, one that enters into another country by way of the law; as for not mistreating him, that simply means to not make him a slave, etc.
Leviticus 19:33 "'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. ""Do not take advantage of foreigners who live among you in your land."

19:34 - The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Simply means to not mistreat people due to the fact that they are aliens in your land.
Leviticus 19:34 The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God. "You are to treat the resident alien the same way you treat the native born among you—love him like yourself, since you were foreigners in the land of Egypt."

This doesn't mean they are not to be held accountable for their crime.
I loved how you slipped those caveats in.

In "today's world" the Bible means what reader says it means. Isn't that what's great about living in a representitve democracy.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If you know what you are quoting, what's to discuss?
So you don't understand it? Okay, just say so.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You can quote passages out of the bible to supplement both sides of any argument.
Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or