Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't need to go sending any Christians on a guilt trip here.
Both the Dems and the Repubs will be giving amnesty to 11-20 million illegal immigrants within the next year.
So calm down..you got your way.
Not really. I don't believe in amnesty. That's not how i'd go about it if i had my way. They could stay, but they sure as hell wouldn't be granted any amnesty.

However, seeing as how the Republicans now seem to be on board for this amnesty thing, you're right....there's no stopping it.

I'm just looking at it from a practical sense. Those millions of immigrants didn't get here by mistake, and we aren't going to deport them. We couldn't even if we wanted to, and we don't want to (we just say that we do).

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times
I thought we had separation of church and state? Since when are we living in a theocracy?

If we are going to start living by Leviticus, are we going to have animal sacrifices and start stoning people too?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 AM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No, there are plenty of Christians who actually follow Christ's teachings. I have no issue at all with them. The others, who seem to be mainly conservatives and fundamentalists, are the ones I am referring to. They are more like the hypocritical Pharisees that Christ supposedly got angry at, than Christians.
Why would you focus on the extremists or so-called hyopcrites when most Christians are not extremists in their beliefs? It smells of an agenda.

By the way, if we are going to love our neighbor (aliens) as ourselves shouldn't they be accountable for breaking our laws just as our citizens are? Love means they get a pass?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 39,609 times
Quote:
Neither am I.
What religion are you, or what secular persuasion do you follow,
that occasions your putting Christians to the test?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
I know what I am quoting. And you will find many "Christians' who use the OT to try to condemn or control others. Just look hpw many times Christians who are ignorant of the Bible quote a verse from Leviticus (or in Hebrew - Vayikra.) out of context when they want to condemn gay people for example. Or Genesis 19.
Then, like I said, this should have been in the religion forum and not the illegal immigration forum.

You do realize that Jesus, in the New Testament, refers to the Old Testament many times, right?
Quote:
You could take your own advice.
As I said, you haven't a clue about what you are posting, you are merely attempting to stereotype Christians based on your belief.

Quote:
I do know what I am quoting. You are making invalid assumptions about why I posted it in this forum.
Invalid assumption? Hardly.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't realise that Leviticus 19 contains the commandments on which the gospel writers claim Christ said several times, that ALL of the Law and Prophets hinged.

You not knowing the Bible or the origins of the '2nd greatest commandment' "love your neighbor as yourself", is priceless.
Loving thy neighbor as oneself is one thing, which has already been pointed out in my first comment to your ignorant OP. That does not mean that thy neighbor is allowed to break the laws of man, even God said not to do such thing. You seem to be reading more into the verse that you are attempting to use then what is actually there.

Quote:
But hey, how many of those 'Christians' who want to force their interpretations of biblical laws on 21st century America, have ever bothered to read Leviticus 19, let alone the whole Bible.

By the way, I'm not speaking of ALL Christians here. Just those who seem to want a country based on Biblical laws (that they don't even understand).
Then you should have pointed to that specific group of Christians, as I did (Westboro Baptist), but then again, your point was to stereotype all Christians based on your OP.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's mentioned a number of times. One of the first examples was Lot offering up his two virgin daughters to be gang-raped rather than allow strangers who were guests under his roof to be violated by a gang of townsfolk. Genesis 19. There is a similar story in Judges 19 with the Levite stranger. Rape was commonly used to dominate and humiliate male strangers or prisoners of war... by treating them like women.
Do you understand why Lot did so? Do you understand why Lot and his family were spared and told to leave and not look back? Do you understand why the Angels destroyed the Sodomites?

Your claim makes the story completely different than what it actually is. You seem to be using verse for your own little story telling, to justify your own inadequacy.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 02-24-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
No, there are plenty of Christians who actually follow Christ's teachings. I have no issue at all with them. The others, who seem to be mainly conservatives and fundamentalists, are the ones I am referring to. They are more like the hypocritical Pharisees that Christ supposedly got angry at, than Christians.
You have beliefs that you agree with, while the others you condemn based on your ignorance. Everything you have quoted so far has been out of context and used to justify your own beliefs.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Leviticus 19:33-34

“‘When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

What say you Christians?
The bible also says:

He who does not work, neither shall he eat

As an atheist I say illegal aliens can go pound sand.....in their own country after they've been deported of course

Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I loved how you slipped those caveats in.

In "today's world" the Bible means what reader says it means. Isn't that what's great about living in a representitve democracy.
You do realize the Israelite's were invited into Egypt as guests, right? Later, the Egyptians used them as slave labor and enslaved them for some 400 years. In today's world the books of the bible mean exactly what they say; it is the lack of comprehension as made by some that give it some other context. It's especially fun to watch Atheists and "rights" activists attempt to make the bible mean something it doesn't, hence the reference to aliens living among us being treated as our-selves. Illegal aliens are treated just like any other person in the US (they are denied certain privileges as are all aliens), it is only once they are found to be here illegally that they are held accountable for their crime. If the OP is somehow going to attempt to argue Leviticus as to removing borders of nations, that is a different argument all together; however, her gay rights activism and atheist POV don't show her to be fundamentally knowledgeable of the bible itself. Her poor attempt to use an out-of-context verse to somehow mean something it doesn't towards illegal aliens is a giveaway. Your views seem to also be fundamentally flawed by claiming the bible means what the reader says it means. Anybody can read the bible and interpret it for themselves, however that doesn't make them right in their espousing of what they have interpreted for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration