Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

Leviticus 19:33-34

“‘When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

What say you Christians?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

“‘When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

What say you Christians?
I don't believe you know exactly what it is you are quoting.

So lets break it down by verse.

19:33 - When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.

In today's world that would be an immigrant, one that enters into another country by way of the law; as for not mistreating him, that simply means to not make him a slave, etc.
http://bible.cc/leviticus/19-33.htm ""Do not take advantage of foreigners who live among you in your land."

19:34 - The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Simply means to not mistreat people due to the fact that they are aliens in your land.
http://bible.cc/leviticus/19-34.htm "You are to treat the resident alien the same way you treat the native born among you—love him like yourself, since you were foreigners in the land of Egypt."

This doesn't mean they are not to be held accountable for their crime.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:

What say you Christians?
What does that have to do with illegal immgration?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
LOL...does the OP actually expect Christians to actually apply that faith to their lives?

No chance. They can always find a way around those bible verses while still claiming to be following the Bible to the letter. They're only Christians when it's convenient.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I don't believe you know exactly what it is you are quoting.

So lets break it down by verse.

19:33 - When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.

In today's world that would be an immigrant, one that enters into another country by way of the law; as for not mistreating him, that simply means to not make him a slave, etc.
Leviticus 19:33 "'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. ""Do not take advantage of foreigners who live among you in your land."

19:34 - The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Simply means to not mistreat people due to the fact that they are aliens in your land.
Leviticus 19:34 The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God. "You are to treat the resident alien the same way you treat the native born among you—love him like yourself, since you were foreigners in the land of Egypt."

This doesn't mean they are not to be held accountable for their crime.
Yes, I know exactly what I am quoting.

I put it up for discussion.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-22-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What does that have to do with illegal immgration?
One could as well ask "What does the Bible have to do with anything in the 21st century?", I suppose.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
USA has separation of Church and State, we're not a theocracy.

John 10:1

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:10

The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows).

Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
USA has separation of Church and State, we're not a theocracy.
True, but many Christians seem to ignore that fact.

Quote:
John 10:1

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:10

The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows).
You are quoting only a part of parable. If you included the part you left out it shows it's not really relevant (see below).

John 10 6-10
This parable spoke Jesus to them: but they understood not what things they were which he spoke to them. Then said Jesus to them again, Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief comes not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Interestingly, Jesus follows this with something that may be relevant:

John 10:16 "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd"

Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
True, but many Christians seem to ignore that fact.

You are quoting only a part of parable. If you included the part you left out it shows it's not really relevant (see below).

John 10 6-10
This parable spoke Jesus to them: but they understood not what things they were which he spoke to them. Then said Jesus to them again, Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief comes not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Interestingly, Jesus follows this with something that may be relevant:

John 10:16 "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd"
You're being as far-fetched as you can get. Jesus was not talking about USA immigration laws, in fact the USA did not exist back in those days, Jesus was not trying to determine USA laws.

If what you're saying made any sense, it would be the people of Israel importing all the world.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
You're being as far-fetched as you can get. Jesus was not talking about USA immigration laws, in fact the USA did not exist back in those days, Jesus was not trying to determine USA laws.

If what you're saying made any sense, it would be the people of Israel importing all the world.
I'm being as far fetched as any Christian who tries to use ancient texts written in completely different ancient cultures to apply to 21st century USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration