U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I don't agree with the practice either, but unfortunately the reality is, in a global economy it's basically the same thing as outsourcing, except now we're just importing the labor. And we're all complicit, from importing cars and iPhones, to buying chinese crap at Walmart. So one way or another, we're all becoming just one giant worldwide labor market.... and American workers better start choosing which part of that market they wanna compete for!
They have been importing labor for years under the guise of a shortage of skilled U.S. workers, particularly in IT. So, this is nothing new.

Case in point. . .

PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo - YouTube

Only now, rather than simply relying on bogus work visas, with the passage of CIR, they will add a green card to those graduating from U.S. universities earning degrees in STEM categories. Actually, I don't have a problem with those earning advanced STEM degrees remaining here, IF we actually have a shortage. Plus, it would be hypocritical for me to oppose this, considering I married a foreign student who earned such advanced degrees. Unfortunately, due to the systematic dumbing-down of America, we do indeed have a shortage of citizens earning advanced degrees in those fields. Heck, just take a look at our academic standing in the world in areas of math and science. It's pathetic.

I stopped buying imported cars, and I don't shop at Walmart, or any of the stores selling cheap products. In fact, I do very little shopping other than for food and toiletries, having purchased quality items made in the USA prior to the onslaught of cheap goods from China. Unlike the crap being sold today, those products actually last. Of course it is now virtually impossible to purchase anything made in the USA, so I have no choice when purchasing certain items.

Unfortunately, the damage is done. We have very little manufacturing. We are now primarily a service industry, and consumers of foreign goods. But, this is precisely what apathy does to a nation. Far too many citizens are too preoccupied with waiting in line to purchase the latest gadget, which will soon be replaced by another "new and improved" gadget; or concerned more about what the Kardashians are doing; or sitting in front of the TV watching stupid programs like Honey Boo Boo to even notice the state of this country. It is very sad indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM

32,022 posts, read 14,783,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They have been importing labor for years under the guise of a shortage of skilled U.S. workers, particularly in IT. So, this is nothing new.

Case in point. . .

PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo - YouTube

Only now, rather than simply relying on bogus work visas, with the passage of CIR, they will add a green card to those graduating from U.S. universities earning degrees in STEM categories. Actually, I don't have a problem with those earning advanced STEM degrees remaining here, IF we actually have a shortage. Plus, it would be hypocritical for me to oppose this, considering I married a foreign student who earned such advanced degrees. Unfortunately, due to the systematic dumbing-down of America, we do indeed have a shortage of citizens earning advanced degrees in those fields. Heck, just take a look at our academic standing in the world in areas of math and science. It's pathetic.

I stopped buying imported cars, and I don't shop at Walmart, or any of the stores selling cheap products. In fact, I do very little shopping other than for food and toiletries, having purchased quality items made in the USA prior to the onslaught of cheap goods from China. Unlike the crap being sold today, those products actually last. Of course it is now virtually impossible to purchase anything made in the USA, so I have no choice when purchasing certain items.

Unfortunately, the damage is done. We have very little manufacturing. We are now primarily a service industry, and consumers of foreign goods. But, this is precisely what apathy does to a nation. Far too many citizens are too preoccupied with waiting in line to purchase the latest gadget, which will soon be replaced by another "new and improved" gadget; or concerned more about what the Kardashians are doing; or sitting in front of the TV watching stupid programs like Honey Boo Boo to even notice the state of this country. It is very sad indeed.
Or like the posters in here that state "oh well that's just reality" or "oh well we live in a global economy" and who display a defeatist attitude instead of fighting this nonsense. I suspect however that this defeatist attitude with many of them is just a cloak to cover up the fact that they have an entirely different agenda.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,904,572 times
I work in a high tech field and there are many unemployed Americans because of the visaed workers. Many people think that people come only to take jobs Americans don't want (high skill and low skill)but not true. In fact there are many Americans unemployed in high skilled jobs including IT, engineering and scientists.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Or like the posters in here that state "oh well that's the reality" and who have a defeatist attitude instead of fighting this nonsense. I suspect however that this defeatist attitude with many of them is just a cloak to cover up the fact that they have an agenda.
I suspect you are absolutely right.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,315,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Agreed, and IMO American labor is experiencing the same the pattern as the ''rust belt'' cities, which depended too much and for too long on older technologies, lower skilled workers, and older manufacturing models. Meanwhile places like China and India have been providing modern retooling, along with both cheap labor at the low end, and highly educated & trained workers at the high end. Yet domestically, instead of pushing the equivalent of an educational ''space race'' over here, what are we doing, except squabbling over the few remaining jobs, and blaming ''furiners'' for taking the rest?!

Am not crazy about industry's appetite for foreign labor, or the continuing incentives for outsourcing. But the ''anti-edu-macation'' mentality of many American workers ain't exactly been helping the situation either!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I work in a high tech field and there are many unemployed Americans because of the visaed workers. Many people think that people come only to take jobs Americans don't want (high skill and low skill)but not true. In fact there are many Americans unemployed in high skilled jobs including IT, engineering and scientists.
I have heard this also. These foreign IT workers and other high tech field workers will work for less so an American worker can't compete with them. It's the same with cheap, illegal workers taking blue collared jobs in our country.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,315,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have heard this also. These foreign IT workers and other high tech field workers will work for less so an American worker can't compete with them. It's the same with cheap, illegal workers taking blue collared jobs in our country.
But aren't conservatives the ones trying to gut unions in this country so that companies can do just that?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and IMO American labor is experiencing the same the pattern as the ''rust belt'' cities, which depended too much and for too long on older technologies, lower skilled workers, and older manufacturing models. Meanwhile places like China and India have been providing modern retooling, along with both cheap labor at the low end, and highly educated & trained workers at the high end. Yet domestically, instead of pushing the equivalent of an educational ''space race'' over here, what are we doing, except squabbling over the few remaining jobs, and blaming ''furiners'' for taking the rest?!

Am not crazy about industry's appetite for foreign labor, or the continuing incentives for outsourcing. But the ''anti-edu-macation'' mentality of many American workers ain't exactly been helping the situation either!
So we should just ditch own our blue collared workforce so that "furiners" aka illegal immigrants can have these jobs in spite of the fact many Americans have no desire to sit behind a desk in a white shirt all day? It isn't even close to claim that the majority of them can be authomated either. How does this equate to an anti-education mentality? Many of these jobs require learning a skill so how is that anti-education? It is an insult to the American worker who loves jobs that require physical labor. I smell an agenda here.

When you combine that with your advocacy to have "furiners" remain here to compete for white collared jobs also just what is left for the American worker?

Furiners? Anti-edumacation? Yes, I definately smell and agenda here.

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-26-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
But aren't conservatives the ones trying to gut unions in this country so that companies can do just that?
Let's not turn this into yet another political party argument, shall we? I am merely stating my own personal views regardless that I am a conservative in many ways. If you want to argue about hurting the American worker what about Obama and the Democrats wanting to amnesty millions of illegal immigrants to compete for jobs against Americans which is the topic of this forum?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,358,985 times
I work in I.T.; we don't have a skills shortage. Companies just want to bring in immigrants to depress wages like they've been doing for the last 15 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration