U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements


Two words: Cheap labor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,269,291 times
Reputation: 5901
One of the comments to the article sounded interesting...

"Steve Case of AOL made a great analogy last week on this issue.. kicking out fully trained by US university science and engineering PHD's after graduation is similar to training foreign military leadership then sending them back against their will to the opposition."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
 
31,476 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Two words: Cheap labor
Skills shortage? WTH? Most of these illegal immigrants are of the unskilled and uneducated. Who does Bloomberg think he is kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
 
31,476 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
One of the comments to the article sounded interesting...

"Steve Case of AOL made a great analogy last week on this issue.. kicking out fully trained by US university science and engineering PHD's after graduation is similar to training foreign military leadership then sending them back against their will to the opposition."
So these are illegal immigrants training to compete for American jobs? It's not like we have a shortage of Americans in college training for those same jobs. Who cares about their "will"? Go home and use your training to help your own countries. We have a shortage of jobs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Skills shortage? WTH? Most of these illegal immigrants are of the unskilled and uneducated. Who does Bloomberg think he is kidding?
Exactly. Many can't speak English and what illegal aliens are highly skill in Technology companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,269,291 times
Reputation: 5901
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Exactly. Many can't speak English and what illegal aliens are highly skill in Technology companies?
Read the article, they're talking about making a distinction between hi-skills and low-skills immigrants. Which BTW, is really the same difference that's driving the rest of the job market right now, except a lot of our lower skilled ''natives'' seem to think that makes them ''entitled'' and so they shouldn't have to ''compete''. And lotsa luck with that attitude in an age when it basically amounts to ''rust belt'' labor resisting the growth of hi-tech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
 
31,476 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Read the article, they're talking about making a distinction between hi-skills and low-skills immigrants. Which BTW, is really the same difference that's driving the rest of the job market right now, except a lot of our lower skilled ''natives'' seem to think that makes them ''entitled'' and so they shouldn't have to ''compete''. And lotsa luck with that attitude in an age when it basically amounts to ''rust belt'' labor resisting the growth of hi-tech!
American citizens ARE entitled to jobs over illegal foreingers and no they shouldn't have to compete with those who don't even have a legal right to be in this country much less to work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Read the article, they're talking about making a distinction between hi-skills and low-skills immigrants. Which BTW, is really the same difference that's driving the rest of the job market right now, except a lot of our lower skilled ''natives'' seem to think that makes them ''entitled'' and so they shouldn't have to ''compete''. And lotsa luck with that attitude in an age when it basically amounts to ''rust belt'' labor resisting the growth of hi-tech!
Either way why should Americans move over for illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,269,291 times
Reputation: 5901
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Either way why should Americans move over for illegals?
I don't agree with the practice either, but unfortunately the reality is, in a global economy it's basically the same thing as outsourcing, except now we're just importing the labor. And we're all complicit, from importing cars and iPhones, to buying chinese crap at Walmart. So one way or another, we're all becoming just one giant worldwide labor market.... and American workers better start choosing which part of that market they wanna compete for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I don't agree with the practice either, but unfortunately the reality is, in a global economy it's basically the same thing as outsourcing, except now we're just importing the labor. And we're all complicit, from importing cars and iPhones, to buying chinese crap at Walmart. So one way or another, we're all becoming just one giant worldwide labor market.... and American workers better start choosing which part of that market they wanna compete for!
Why should the American worker need to compete with people that don't belong here?
We don't need added competition.

You seem like you don't care about opening our borders for more work competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top