U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times

Advertisements

Nice post--it's sometimes easy to forget that there are a few people who are willing to immigrate legally. Hope this will inspire others.
It reminds me of a college student, who passes an exam by actually opening a book and studying, while others simply stop off at the book store the night before to puchase a set of "crib notes". I admire the first person SO much more than the second.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

17 posts, read 36,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
AZaussie:

Very interesting post indeed, could you share with us the entire process you had to go through to legally immigrate to America, the more details you can give us the better.

Maybe some people will think it better and decide to follow your example

Love and Light
What a friendly buch! Thanks for being so welcoming
Hey, who ever made the comment about beer go to an Outback Steakhouse and order a Tooheys New! That's a beer!

Travelling Fella if your ready to read I'll try and explain how it happened!
I'm actually married to an American who was living in Australia with me. (At the time we were only engaged though)
He decided to move back to the US for his line of work. Since I had never lived here and only visited in the past I had to apply to US immigration for a visa. We thought it would take a few months at most to be processed so my hubby came back home here, started a new job and got settled while I waited in Australia. During this time I was required by US immigration to have all my shots updated, I was x-rayed to make sure I didn't have TB, I had blood tests to make sure I wasn't carrying HIV etc. Many months later (it all took much longer then expected) I was sent a letter requesting me to appear at US Immigration in Sydney, so I took some time off work and flew there. It was very daunting, you are interviewed in front of everyone waiting and I saw them turning people away (ouch!) I was asked to provide proof of relationship etc and was quizzed on a number of things. My other half also had to send them bank statements showing he made enough money to support me (he had to sign a form saying he would be financialy responsible for me until I was allowed to work). I think this is where quite a few people get turned away which is fair enough.
So after this American guy had questioned me and asked me the same things about 5 different times (they want to make sure your not lying about anything) he said was approving my visa! He was behind a glass wall so I said 'thankyou! If I could hug you I would!".
Then I had 6 months to leave the country, so pretty soon I arrived.
It took about 7 months to be able to work and get a social security number. I have spent close to $3000 on being here so far and I will continue to pay fee's to immigration probably for the next 5 years or so because I have to change my status (visa) from time to time and immigration will check to make sure that we are still married and I didn't just come here and take off somewhere to do my own thing. (Nothing much is kept personal from these people lol)
I'll admit I've had some frustrated moments waiting for things to get done but I am grateful for the opptunity to be here. I have been doing volunteer work as often as I can as a small way of giving something back to my new home. I think all migrants should seriously consider doing the same. - Ok I'll shutup now!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,860 times
Welcome to your new home,hope you enjoy it!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,430,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaussie View Post
I moved to the US from Australia (legally), when I arrived I was not allowed to work - so I didn't. I couldn't open a bank account - so I didn't.
I couldn't get a drivers licence - so I didn't drive. Initally it was not easy but then again no one said it would be.
It would have been much easier to just drive anyway without insurance, get a fake social and open an account and get a job that paid cash in hand. Or maybe just pop out a kid and use that as an excuse to get a free ride without worrying about how I was going to be able to raise it.
Yet illegals do this on a daily basis like it's an entitlement!
The complete lack of integrity these people show is reason enough they should be sent packing.
These are merely my observations from living in Phoenix.

I'm with America in saying 'Adios' to illegals!
Great post! I wish we had more people from Australia here in the U.S.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,303,821 times
Welcome to America. And thank you for doing it the right way!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,692,782 times
I assume you immigrated via the K-1 fiancee visa system. You followed the rules laid out by the US government and payed all the necessary fees. That was admirable. I am happy for you that you were sufficiently wealthy to afford the thousands of dollars in fees, that you could afford to wait the months for immigration processing, and that you had a benefactor who paid for your lifestyle once you came to the United States and stayed here as an unemployed legal resident.

However, I see this situation as someone who comes from a background of wealth, who then spends months as an unemployed drain on the economy, supported and sponsored by the fruit of someone else's labor.

To spend months jobless and contributing nothing to the economy, while suggesting that a working illegal alien--who slaves away for 12 hours a day doing backbreaking labor for a pittance--has no "integrity" and their situation is "like an entitlement" is inaccurate, in my opinion.

I understand that it is the US goverment regulation that forced you to be jobless until you had the proper documentation, and I'm glad your situation was such that you had enough money that you did not need to work--unlike the majority of people in the United States--but do you really think that illegal immigrant laborers have less integrity than you, simply because they have no fiance or patron here in the US who can prove support for them and pay their way for them, while they are unemployed, and they have no other recourse to immigrate?

While family-based immigration is important, and we should allow spouses, children, and fiancees of US legal residents to immigrate, it is also important that we bring in people who are actually coming here to work. Currently, 75-80% of legal immigrants come in via family-based immigration and--as evidenced by the OP--spend at least some time not contributing to the economy. These numbers need to change. We should be bringing in workers who will strengthen the economy, as well as family--who sometimes burden it.

This is not to suggest that the OP is still a burden on the economy. I am sure that they are now gainfully employed, once their documentation came through. But this is an excellent illustration of just what is wrong with our current immigration system and how it encourages--indeed even requires--behaviours from leagal immigrants that put a strain on the economy, working people, and social services.

Finally, I know my post has seemed harsh, but I simply am trying to express my belief that your favorable situation does not extend to all immigrants, and cannot be used to criticize illegal immigration.

I am glad that you were able to immigrate to the United States. Welcome to our country. Thank you for following our arcane and convoluted immigration laws. I'm sorry that they caused you and your family some hardship. I believe that the family-based immigration system should be streamlined, as well as the employment-based immigration system.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 36,186 times
I assume you immigrated via the K-1 fiancee visa system. You followed the rules laid out by the US government and payed all the necessary fees. That was admirable. I am happy for you that you were sufficiently wealthy to afford the thousands of dollars in fees, that you could afford to wait the months for immigration processing, and that you had a benefactor who paid for your lifestyle once you came to the United States and stayed here as an unemployed legal resident.

However, I see this situation as someone who comes from a background of wealth, who then spends months as an unemployed drain on the economy, supported and sponsored by the fruit of someone else's labor.

To spend months jobless and contributing nothing to the economy, while suggesting that a working illegal alien--who slaves away for 12 hours a day doing backbreaking labor for a pittance--has no "integrity" and their situation is "like an entitlement" is inaccurate, in my opinion.

Well thanks for you thoughts there Sponger. I would like to point out I'm in no way wealthy and nor is my husband. We are both in our 20's and have had to work for what we have like most other people.
When you say I've been supported by someone else's labour (i.e my husband!) I did the same for him in Australia when he first moved there and there are a lot of people who are supported by their partners which is a heck of a lot better then welfare!!
It wasn't so much a matter of me being able to "afford' to wait a matter of months, I didn't have a choice in that. I did the right thing and waited till the US said "yes you can work now" I would have been a 'drain' if I was working illegaly and not paying taxes or if I had a fake social secuirty number and abused the health care system. The only thing I drained in the months while I was waiting was electricty from watching TV! I did not use any government services because I wasn't entitled to.
Believe me when I say while I'm here I will always keep Americas best interest's at heart. I would expect the same from people who moved to my home country. I understand you are frustrated like a lot of people are with the current situation and you have every right to be. But please don't assume people who come here legally are rolling in cash and can just do what they want all day because thats far from the truth.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
It's a ridiculous stereotype that all the illegals are poor - many of them are literally making out like bandits in the construction industry -- no income tax on top of that! You ought to see the nice SUVs and pickups they drive after being here for a couple of years!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

I understand that it is the US goverment regulation that forced you to be jobless until you had the proper documentation, and I'm glad your situation was such that you had enough money that you did not need to work--unlike the majority of people in the United States--but do you really think that illegal immigrant laborers have less integrity than you, simply because they have no fiance or patron here in the US who can prove support for them and pay their way for them, while they are unemployed, and they have no other recourse to immigrate?

While family-based immigration is important, and we should allow spouses, children, and fiancees of US legal residents to immigrate, it is also important that we bring in people who are actually coming here to work. Currently, 75-80% of legal immigrants come in via family-based immigration and--as evidenced by the OP--spend at least some time not contributing to the economy. These numbers need to change. We should be bringing in workers who will strengthen the economy, as well as family--who sometimes burden it.

This is not to suggest that the OP is still a burden on the economy. I am sure that they are now gainfully employed, once their documentation came through. But this is an excellent illustration of just what is wrong with our current immigration system and how it encourages--indeed even requires--behaviours from leagal immigrants that put a strain on the economy, working people, and social services.

Finally, I know my post has seemed harsh, but I simply am trying to express my belief that your favorable situation does not extend to all immigrants, and cannot be used to criticize illegal immigration.

I am glad that you were able to immigrate to the United States. Welcome to our country. Thank you for following our arcane and convoluted immigration laws. I'm sorry that they caused you and your family some hardship. I believe that the family-based immigration system should be streamlined, as well as the employment-based immigration system.
Many thoughtful points here, Sponger. I won't take up a lot of your time in a long philosophical debate, but I will say that your post brings up an important point in the entire arena of immigration, particularly illegal immigration. And that is:
"Given the fact that U.S. Law is ultimately a secular concept, and not a religious or moral issue, Per Se, what is the ultimate "aim" of immigration as it's understood by the US population ? (who are, theoretically, the ultimate arbiters of U.S. Law)".....

By this, I'm asking--is it our absolute moral DUTY to take in any and all of the world's poor, as many as want to come here, for as long as they want to continue to come, regardless of what concessions are made, (or NOT made) by their "home" countries, and regardless of our own needs as a society?----OR, is it our duty to keep foremost in our minds and policies the interests of the already-existing population of the US, and to seek only to attract, and allow, as much immigration as is reasonable or advisable for us to accomodate?....it's a HUGE question, and one not often addressed in these simple terms.

Just exactly what do we "owe" the world, and what are we justified in expecting in return, if anything? Do we have the right to insist that other nations cooperate with us in "helping" the poor, or not? (What if it's THEIR OWN poor?)----Seems to me that these are tremendously important questions, yet they seem to be discussed only in the most emotional of terms, rather than logically.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,912 times
Interesting post sponger, ...
At least she was trying to do something positive with the situation by voluntering, I don't see many SOB people putting up their hand to work for free.
And by the way, don't illegals just entitle themselves to work by breaking the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration